News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

unlimited odds and ends

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 13, 2020, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

driver

been spending to much time on porkbusiness.com again? I guess its better that PorkHub.

Woolly Bugger

TOM EARNHARDT: Following the quiet voices and science

>>>This week I repeated a ritual that has been part of my life for almost six decades. With friends, I stood on the rim of Linville Gorge in Burke County and looked down 1,500 feet to the Linville River below and back at least 300 million years in geological and biological time. Around us there were sheer cliffs covered with lichen, moss and mountain laurel. Below us were unseen black bear, ruffed grouse and bobcat hidden by the canopy of one of the last remaining old-growth forests in eastern America. When loggers came to the Appalachians in the 19th and early 20th centuries, they found the Gorge too rugged and too steep to build roads and extract timber.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/tom-earnhardt-following-the-quiet-voices-and-science/19307286/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

4,500-acre Priday Ranch north of Madras sold to Deschutes Land Trust

>>>BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) — The Deschutes Land Trust announced Wednesday the acquisition of Priday Ranch, its newest conservation project, on 4,500 acres north of Madras.

NewsChannel 21 spoke with Brad Nye, the conservation director of the Deschutes Land Trust, who said the property comes with significant cultural value.

https://ktvz.com/news/jefferson-county/2020/09/30/deschutes-land-trust-acquires-4500-acre-priday-ranch-north-of-madras/
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

The invading Americans found that the Japanese had withdrawn already, so there was no fight, but it left Lahr with an indelible memory.

"The boats landed somewhere in Alaska, in one of the coves," he recalls with a laugh. "We were on regular army rations so there was a pretty good size creek coming off the island and there were these salmon in there. We had some of our grenades. We dropped them in there, they come floating up and we skinned them out and had salmon dinner."

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Howard Lahr
Five generations gather for a photo in July of 2015. They are (back row from left), Marvin Lahr, Howard Lahr, Julie Toral, (front) Erika Abrams, and, smallest of all, Alayla Abrams.

Submitted photo

Problem is, such living off the land was against regulations.

"Most of the guys had salmon for dinner and one of the officers found out we were having salmon," he said, shaking his head. "I just about got (demoted)."

Lahr never saw direct combat, but his regiment took part in some of the most challenging campaigns of World War II, including the icy effort to evict the Japanese from the Aleutian Islands, the only part of North America occupied by Japan. The unit went on to take part in the textbook-defining amphibious invasion of Kwajalien Atoll in the Marshall Islands, the Battle of Leyte, and finally the fighting on the Japanese island of Okinawa.

https://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/on-the-cusp-of-100-a-napa-world-war-ii-vet-recalls-his-service/article_ac8b8cfa-1a80-5085-b562-182beb62e40e.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Scientists will take the next 2 years to study life in Henry County more than 10,000 years ago

>>>The Virginia Museum of Natural History soon will embark on a 2-year archaeological endeavor to reveal the details of the beginning of civilization, covering more than 10,000 years, in Martinsville and Henry County.

The area is rich in history already, thanks largely to archaeological excavations conducted more than 50 years ago under the direction of Richard P. Gravely Jr. of Martinsville, whose work was donated to the Research Laboratories of Anthropology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Modern methods and new technology allows today's archaeologists to expose new details in ways that never have been possible.

https://martinsvillebulletin.com/news/local/scientists-will-take-the-next-2-years-to-study-life-in-henry-county-more-than/article_1ccabf0c-2851-11eb-baae-433d1c3bedae.html

Bassett said their incentive for moving was to hunt for big game when the mastodon, giant ground sloths, 400-pound beavers*, wolves and mountain lions roamed the hills and valleys of Henry County.

*that's a whole lotta beaver!
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Coast Guard saves 3 stranded on island of NC coast after boat drifts off
https://myfox8.com/news/coast-guard-saves-3-stranded-on-island-of-nc-coast-after-boat-drifts-off

>>Three people were stranded on a near-deserted island off the coast of North Carolina on Tuesday when their boat drifted off, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

All three were hunting on Raccoon Island at the time, the Coast Guard said in a news release Wednesday.

Raccoon Island is in a secluded area of the Pamlico Sound near the Outer Banks. The National Audubon Society describes it as a "high marsh island" that is "remote and not easily accessible."

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article247431720.html

SeaTow to the rescues: boat recovered...
me -There's a season?

Phil

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 26, 2020, 10:13:57 AMCoast Guard saves 3 stranded on island of NC coast after boat drifts off
https://myfox8.com/news/coast-guard-saves-3-stranded-on-island-of-nc-coast-after-boat-drifts-off

>>Three people were stranded on a near-deserted island off the coast of North Carolina on Tuesday when their boat drifted off, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

All three were hunting on Raccoon Island at the time, the Coast Guard said in a news release Wednesday.

Raccoon Island is in a secluded area of the Pamlico Sound near the Outer Banks. The National Audubon Society describes it as a "high marsh island" that is "remote and not easily accessible."

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article247431720.html

SeaTow to the rescues: boat recovered...

OOOPS!! The dang boat's gone!

Woolly Bugger

I knew about the 1940s flood at Mortimer. But until yesterday wasn't aware of the Great NC Flood of 1916 which ravaged mountains of NC when two back to back hurricanes hit the region.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Debris collected near the Asheville concrete bridge at the height of the Great Flood of 1916. Credit: NOAA Photo Library

>>>The flood destroyed hundreds of homes in the area and engulfed industrial plants, warehouses, and businesses along the French Broad. It damaged or washed away railroad tracks and demolished all three bridges across the river in Asheville. Riverside Park, a popular amusement park and gathering place on the French Broad, also perished under the floodwaters.

Upstream from Asheville, the waters breached or destroyed all the dams that supplied hydropower to the city. At the entrance to the Biltmore Estate, water reportedly reached 9 feet deep during the flood. Overall, the damage totaled an estimated $21 million—the equivalent of $500 million in today's dollars.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/news/investigating-the-great-flood-of-1916#:~:text=This%20year%20marks%20the%20centennial%20of%20the%20worst,banks%20after%20heavy%20rain%20fell%20over%20the%20area.

This is the flood that took out the Famon Caudill cabin on Basin Creek and killed his pregnant wife, Alice (1901-1916) of 6 months while he was away working for the railroad in Green Cove VA.

Read more at Our State Magazine
me -There's a season?

Onslow

We all should be keep the flood risk thoughts in our minds. The Yadkin @ Elkin floods buildings at 30,000 cfs.  In 1940, the river reached 160,000 cfs in Wilkesboro where the watershed is about 500 sq. miles.  It is over 800 in Elkin.

I cannot imagine the destruction would be caused if this river rose to 150-200K cfs in Elkin. It reached 28k about a month ago.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.

BERLIN — The Danish Mayfly was selected Friday by an international group of entomologists and others as the Insect of the Year for 2021, but it won't have long to celebrate its 15 minutes of fame.
https://wr.al/1JPsm
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Tongass National Forest is 'America's Last Climate Sanctuary'
Opening up the Tongass National Forest to additional logging and development could have serious implications for both the environment and the Alaska Native communities that depend on it.Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>When you walk into the temperate rainforest of the Tongass, a peaceful stillness greets you. The dense canopy of this misty Alaskan wilderness is made up of towering western hemlock, red and yellow cedar, and Sitka spruce trees, some of which are between 300 and 1,000 years old. Lichens adorn the trees with a mosaic of colors and textures, moss and ferns carpet the forest floor in lush green hues, and crystal-clear streams carve their way toward the Pacific Ocean.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/tongass-national-forest-americas-last-climate-sanctuary/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Olympic Peninsula fishing guide groups alarmed by steelhead proposals

>>>FISHING GUIDES UP and down the Olympic Peninsula have come together to alternately express concern over what they see as overreaching restrictions on in-progress steelheading seasons on coastal rivers offered by the state Department of Fish and Wildlife and provide liveable options for this season.

Opposed to potential changes that could outlaw fishing from a floating device or even potentially close down winter steelhead fishing in the near future, members of the Northwest Olympic Peninsula Sportfishing Coalition, the Olympic Peninsula Guides Association, the Grays Harbor Sport Fishing Coalition and the Grays Harbor Guide Association have reached out to Fish and Wildlife and state lawmakers, hoping to have their voices heard.

>>>Kratzer estimated he would lose 85 percent of his guiding business if a floating device prohibition was implemented.

"A lot of my clientele has been fishing with me for decades and are in their 60s and 70s," Kratzer said. "They aren't disabled, but they are up in years, and they don't have the stability to wade rivers or fight currents." 

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/sports/outdoors-peninsula-fishing-guide-groups-alarmed-by-steelhead-proposals/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

up your game!

16 Of The Very Greatest, Sweariest Scottish Insults Of All Time
Even Shakespeare couldn't have come up with "lavvy-heided wankstain

1)

"Awa' you and chew mah banger."

"Piss off and eat my dick."

2)

"Shut yer puss fannybaws."

Be quiet, viginabollocks."

3)

"Bolt, ya mangled fud."

Go away, you misshapen vigina.

4)

"Ye've go a face lit a melted welly."

You look fucking miserable.

5)

"Yer bum's oot the windae, ye fuckin' bampot"

You're talking rubbish, you unhinged tit.

read the rest at...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hilarywardle/chew-mah-banger

me -There's a season?

Onslow

Google must've sold old GPS data to Facebook.  Getting FB friend recommendations from 2012-2014 customers. I'm not a person of consequence therefore there is no reason for these people to even remember me. This is just damned weird.