As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Taking a Swim

Started by Feather Chucker, May 05, 2014, 11:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: overbrook on May 06, 2014, 05:40:31 AM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on May 05, 2014, 15:19:14 PM

Redfin Shiners only get 3.5 inches, I think.

Muddy...redfin shiners can grow to about 10 to 12 inches. and weigh upwards of a half pound .....we have some in our pond the will put up a fair fight on a 3 wt.

he mentioned the fish had nodules or wiskers or something??  that would be some sort of chub or something...but not a redfin shiner.

Thanks OB.
I guess we can't trust those fact sheets and databases.  Heck fire, I don't think they should even be in ponds.  You got something special OB; protect those monster RF Shiners.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/26014.html

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/2910

http://www.arkive.org/redfin-shiner/lythrurus-umbratilis/
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Michael Toris

Not genus Cyprinella. Too large

Not genus Moxostoma. Too small, incorrect mouth orientation, and scale formation.

Correct genus is Luxilus. Predorsal crowding with diamond shaped scales. Broad side profile. Elongated medial scales. Definitely a spawning male.

Two options for species specific identification:

L. cerasinus (Cresent Shiner). Found in the Cape Fear, New, James, and Roanoke drainages.  I am thinking this guy is a little to red to match our picture, but color varies.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

L. cornutus (Common Shiner). Atlantic, Great Lakes, Hudson Bay, and Mississippi River basins from Nova Scotia to southeastern Saskatchewan, Canada and south to James River drainage in Virginia, northern Ohio, central Missouri and Wyoming, USA. This guy looks more like it.

I'm going with Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
or common shiner.

Transylwader

hay GAYson, can ewe "TAWLK LAAAK THAYIS?"

Michael Toris

Quote from: Transylwader on May 06, 2014, 09:33:41 AM

I want you to realize that the majority of people in this area speak as I and not as your dumb ass does

Big J

Quote from: wildmttrout on May 06, 2014, 09:41:48 AM

I want you to realize that the majority of people in this area speak as I and not as your dumb ass does

I have never laughed so hard from reading something on the internet like I just did after that comment WMT. 

Transylwader

I want you to know that Gayson County is Ghey and your accent fucking rocks mullets. Bitch please...

overbrook

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on May 06, 2014, 07:29:29 AM
Quote from: overbrook on May 06, 2014, 05:40:31 AM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on May 05, 2014, 15:19:14 PM

Redfin Shiners only get 3.5 inches, I think.

Muddy...redfin shiners can grow to about 10 to 12 inches. and weigh upwards of a half pound .....we have some in our pond the will put up a fair fight on a 3 wt.

he mentioned the fish had nodules or wiskers or something??  that would be some sort of chub or something...but not a redfin shiner.

Thanks OB.
I guess we can't trust those fact sheets and databases.  Heck fire, I don't think they should even be in ponds.  You got something special OB; protect those monster RF Shiners.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/26014.html

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/2910

http://www.arkive.org/redfin-shiner/lythrurus-umbratilis/

I guess what I have is golden shiners......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_shiner

but down here everyone calls them redfin shiners...so I just assumed they were the same thing?   

loking at the wiki description and pic I doubt the fish in question is a redfin though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redfin_shiner

Michael Toris

Quote from: Transylwader on May 06, 2014, 10:55:07 AM

I want you to know that Gayson County is Ghey and your accent fucking rocks mullets. Bitch please...

Transylwader

Onslow

WTF dude, bust out a hike/fishing expedition on that righteous river and show us how well that girl puts out.  There should have been a 12" Roanoke in the small pool just below the class II rapid. 

Seriously though, thanks for posting those pics.  I started cutting my stream fishing teeth some 30 years ago on that river. The time that I spent on this wonderful river and others including Tar was time I wasn't trying to procure hard drugs in my teen years.

Feather Chucker

Quote from: Phallus in Wonderland on May 06, 2014, 20:22:53 PM
WTF dude, bust out a hike/fishing expedition on that righteous river and show us how well that girl puts out.  There should have been a 12" Roanoke in the small pool just below the class II rapid. 

Seriously though, thanks for posting those pics.  I started cutting my stream fishing teeth some 30 years ago on that river. The time that I spent on this wonderful river and others including Tar was time I wasn't trying to procure hard drugs in my teen years.

A 12inch Roanoke would be a monster for sure in this river. I love this friggin place. It has the same features as a mtn stream and it's not far from home. It's too bad it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I recently was asked to give a survey and they were studying how much economic value the park was providing. I hope this was just a study and not a justification for the park to possibly be sold. It would be a huge loss to the area if the surrounding area was developed and the river was ruined. The Haw and Neuse are already suffering from development and sediment.

AwesomeBillFrmDawsonville

I would have shot that snake.

God saw you fall and he may have laughed. 

Onslow

Quote from: Feather Chucker on May 07, 2014, 06:38:22 AM
Quote from: Phallus in Wonderland on May 06, 2014, 20:22:53 PM

A 12inch Roanoke would be a monster for sure in this river. I love this friggin place. It has the same features as a mtn stream and it's not far from home. It's too bad it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I recently was asked to give a survey and they were studying how much economic value the park was providing. I hope this was just a study and not a justification for the park to possibly be sold. It would be a huge loss to the area if the surrounding area was developed and the river was ruined. The Haw and Neuse are already suffering from development and sediment.

Nearly all of the the rivers that flow through the Piedmont Fall line have similar scenery, that includes the Yadkin prior to being dammed at Badin and Falls.  I've kayaked many streams in the area and can say there are many more just as stunning as the ---.  Efforts to clean up the watershed have worked the this river does have the quickest recovery after rainfall in the area.  Surprisingly, it clears up faster than many of the smaller bronzeback streams in my area.  I've seen bass here in excess of 5 pounds, and have caught and witnessed the catching of several 12 in Roanokes upstream of the Ford.