Two Creeks - Zilch (tR)

Started by Dee-Vo, July 30, 2017, 18:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

My last pair of Sundays were spent pithering about. This Sunday wouldn't follow suit. A couple creeks that are neighbors to one another have been mentioned in passing conversation with likeminded creeksters. I've driven over/past them a few dozen times. At least one of you have fished each creek at some point that I'm aware.

Creek One.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Hickory Tussock Moth -

After some yardage was put behind me, the creek got steeper. Some pools were found. No fish.

Damned crawfish were all over. Large ones. Maybe these clawed bastards have sliced and diced all the trouts.

Pickerel frog -

I laid this thermometer in 7 inches of water on my way up the ridge. Retrieving it on my way back down revealed a 66* water temp.

Creek Two.

This one sucked. Tales of wild browns and 'bows have been passed around. No such luck. No trout.  Armies of mosquitos. Annoying.

This was odd. After watching a hawk (or some other raptor) for quite a while as I progressed up this creek, I finally called it quits. Water sucked. On my way back down, I see a dead trout lying a foot or so out of the waters edge. A brookie. And a fat one. Cannot tell if it's a stocker or not. This creeks isn't stocked. Far from any stocking access. The creek doesn't appear to be able to support any fish of that size. Nothing had eaten that thing. Weird. Maybe a bird of prey dropped it while flying over from some other water.

Wandering aimlessly is fun. Scratching itches and satisfying curiosities. Always enjoyable. Even more so when you strike gold. Not today.

BrookieHunter

That dead brook trout is very strange.

Stone-Man

Damn Dee -- I say that you should have creeled some craws for supper. Especially as big as they were !!! I have fished a lot of blue lines , but only about 1 in 5 turned out to be a gem. Keep chunking while you have a bit of youth left in you.
About 12-15 years ago, a buddy and I rapelled into a gorge (tied the rope off the guard rail) and caught 32 trout and 4 smallmouth. No way that I could do that now  I might give it up since it is close to you. PM me if ya wanna

JT

Dee-Vo

Quote from: BrookieHunter on July 30, 2017, 18:45:12 PM
That dead brook trout is very strange.

Yes. Can't quite figure that out. I doubt if it was native, but can't be a stocker up there. I've heard that the closest water that's stocked doesn't even contain brookies in the stockings. I'm thinking maybe a somebody has a pond or something nearby and a critter caught that fish from it and dragged it out there. Still don't understand why it hasn't been devoured.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Stone-Man on July 30, 2017, 19:37:51 PM
Damn Dee -- I say that you should have creeled some craws for supper. Especially as big as they were !!! I have fished a lot of blue lines , but only about 1 in 5 turned out to be a gem. Keep chunking while you have a bit of youth left in you.
About 12-15 years ago, a buddy and I rapelled into a gorge (tied the rope off the guard rail) and caught 32 trout and 4 smallmouth. No way that I could do that now  I might give it up since it is close to you. PM me if ya wanna

JT

That's serious shit. PM on it's way.

Woolly Bugger

glad you got out, I've been hanging out taking care of the folks and didn't even get to hit the local pond...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

A day spent in a creek not catching fish is still a day well spent.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Yallerhammer on August 01, 2017, 07:56:53 AM
A day spent in a creek not catching fish is still a day well spent.

Agreed. You never know until you go.