Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

50,000 Atlantic salmon escape Tasmanian fish farm

>>>HUON Aquaculture announced on Facebook that over 50,000 Atlantic salmon escaped from one of its Tasmanian fish farms.
A fire damaged a fish pen located in the D'Entrecasteaux Channel on Monday morning, burning through and melting the pen infrastructure above and just below the waterline, resulting in estimated fish loss between 50,000 – 52,000 fish.

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/50-000-atlantic-salmon-escape-tasmanian-fish-farm
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

An ancient people with a modern climate plan

After a brutal storm in 2006, the Swinomish tribe off the coast of Washington state launched a strategy to deal with the effects of a warming planet. Now, 50 other native tribes have followed suit.

>>For 10,000 years, the Swinomish tribe has fished the waters of northwestern Washington, relying on the bounty of salmon and shellfish not only as a staple of its diet but as a centerpiece of its culture. At the beginning of the fishing season, the tribe gathers on the beach for a First Salmon ceremony, a feast honoring the return of the migratory fish that binds the generations of a tribe that calls itself the People of the Salmon.

At the ceremony's conclusion, single salmon are ferried by boat in four directions — north to Padilla Bay, east to the Skagit River, south to Skagit Bay and west to Deception Pass — and eased into the water with a prayer that they will tell other salmon how well they were treated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2020/11/24/native-americans-climate-change-swinomish/?arc404=true
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Where to See Salmon Spawn in Marin County, California

Despite being listed as critically endangered under the U.S. Endangered Species Act, coho salmon and steelhead trout are still found in Marin County, California. The largest run of coho salmon in the Central California Coast are found in Lagunitas Creek. Salmon and steelhead spawn (build nests) in Lagunitas Creek, San Geronimo Creek, Olema Creek, and several other tributaries.

Coho salmon are an anadromous species, meaning they migrate from the ocean to their freshwater natal streams to spawn, or build nests (called redds). Salmon spend two to seven years in the ocean before returning to the freshwater streams and rivers where they first emerged as fry to build redds in an area of coarse gravel. As a female discharges her eggs into the redd, a male fertilizes them. All coho die after spawning—the dead and dying fish are a valuable source of nutrients for plants, insects, birds and mammals, and are a vital component to the structure of this fascinating ecosystem.

https://seaturtles.org/where-to-see-salmon-spawn-in-marin-county-california/

NOTE:isn't this the ultimate snagger's hot spotting?
me -There's a season?

Sedition and Pockets

For once, some good news.  The Pebble Mine project, had it been allowed to proceed, would have annihilated the most important remaining spawning habitat in North America for salmon and other anadromous fish, despoiled one of the last great wild places on the continent, and dealt a catastrophic blow to the Indigenous people of Alaska, destroying at a stroke their livelihood and erasing thousands of years of history and heritage, all for the private profit of a greedy few.  The denial of this permit ends that threat.  For now.

Understand that this did not happen because of the goodness of the Army Corps of Engineers.  It did not happen because federal regulators are responsible stewards of America's natural inheritance, nor because they respect and honor the treaty arrangements forced upon Native peoples at gunpoint.  We know that they aren't responsible stewards.  We know that they do not respect those treaties.  This victory was won because for more than a decade, Indigenous people, recreational guides, commercial fishers, and sporting and conservation groups struggled together in a massive and sustained fightback against the Pebble Mine project.  When we fight, we win!

This planet is the birthright of all of humanity.  It is the only home any of us will ever know.  Day-by-day and inch-by-inch that home is being stripped and strangled, our common heritage plundered for the private benefit of the obscenely wealthy.  This is the inevitable state of affairs under the dictatorship of capitalism, a system which places all real power in the hands of a tiny minority who own everything and do nothing.  Know, too, that this victory, as great as it is, is only a temporary respite.  The thieves will be back again and again, until they have sucked this wild place as dry as the rest, or we put an end to the system of capitalism entirely.  As long as that system remains in place, no victory is final and nothing that is won can last.  We need a whole new system!  For the planet to live—for ALL of us to live—capitalism must die!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/climate/pebble-mine-permit-denied.html

Woolly Bugger

Over $10M Granted To Preserve Salmon Habitats

>>>The 27 approved projects will further state and federal fisheries recovery plans, including removing barriers to fish migration, restoring riparian habitat, monitoring of listed populations, and creating a more resilient and sustainably managed water resources system that can better withstand drought conditions.

"The ongoing momentum to restore California's habitat for these historic species hasn't stopped as we face a global pandemic and devastating wildfires," CDFW director Charlton Bonham said.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/bayarea/article/Over-10M-Granted-To-Preserve-Salmon-Habitats-15760564.php
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Rewilding a run
November 29, 2020 1 Comment

Salmon swim toward recovery, but need a boost

>>>The story repeats itself around the country: Salmon vs. dams, dams vs. salmon.

Dams usually win.

But what happened in the eastern Adirondack Park town of Willsboro is remarkable, a sign of how quickly the balance can change.

The old Saw Mill Dam stood in the middle of town decades after the mill there had closed. It stood for something about the town and what it had been, but it also stood in the way of what had been there, swimming in the Boquet River, long before there was a town.

There used to be a lot of salmon in the Boquet—so many that one early account of the river says 500 were caught there in a single afternoon. But intense fishing like that, along with pollution and dams like the one in Willsboro, wiped them out. Atlantic salmon faded from the Boquet and every other river draining to Lake Champlain. By the mid-1800s, there were no Champlain salmon left.

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/stories/boquet-salmon
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

New research explains why salmon are dying in the Pacific Northwest.

>>>Scientists in the Pacific Northwest say they've solved a long-running mystery behind the region's dying salmon, a discovery that may explain what's harming fish elsewhere around the globe, including California.

In research published Thursday, a team of university and government scientists identify a toxic material derived from tire treads that is washing into rivers and creeks as the killer of as many as 90% of the coho salmon in parts of the Puget Sound.

The finding is a welcome breakthrough for Washington state after decades of losing the revered fish without a full explanation. However, it also points to a bigger problem, one that's both difficult to solve and not limited to a single part of the country, and possibly rampant in urban areas everywhere.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/environment/article/New-research-explains-why-salmon-are-dying-in-the-15773283.php

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

CNN Article

>>>"We believe that 6PPD-quinone is the primary causal toxicant for these observations of coho salmon mortality in the field," said Ed Kolodziej, the lead investigator for this study. "It's exciting to start to understand what is happening because that starts to allow us to manage these problems more effectively."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/03/us/microplastics-tire-rubber-chemicals-killing-coho-salmon-scn/index.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Another farmed salmon mass breakout in Tasmanian waters stuns Huon Aquaculture

Salmon farmer Huon Aquaculture is investigating another unexplained incident that allowed an entire pen of fish to escape into the ocean off southern Tasmania.

Key points:
It's the second big loss of Atlantic salmon from a Huon Acquaculture fish farm in Tasmania in days
About 130,000 fish each weighing about half a kilogram have escaped into Storm Bay

Company founder wishes "merry Christmas" to local fishers out in droves trying to catch the salmon
The company says 130,000 salmon escaped through a "significant tear" in a fortress pen in Storm Bay on Wednesday morning.

Early last week, the company lost more than 50,000 fish when a pen caught fire in the D'Entrecasteaux Channel, melting part of the structure.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-03/suspicion-around-second-mass-salmon-escape-tasmanian-fish-farm/12947734

Radio Report from ABC Radio:

Environmentalists concerned after second mass exodus of salmon from fish farm

Listen Here 5:55

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/newsradio/environmentalists-concerned-after-second-mass/12950166
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

In depth podcast

Deep dive: What happens when the salmon stop coming home

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/unreserved/deep-dive-what-happens-when-the-salmon-stop-coming-home-1.5827424

>>>Salmon is a staple food for many Indigenous people in the Pacific Northwest. The fish has been the subject of song, story and artwork for thousands of years. It is also a symbol of fortitude, and self sacrifice. But in recent years, the mighty salmon has been facing some scary realities.

This week on Unreserved, a deep dive into the ripple effect of the dwindling fish stock, as we find out what happens when the salmon stop coming home.

It used to be that tens of millions of vibrantly coloured wild salmon could be seen swimming to the upper reaches of British Columbia rivers to spawn. This fall, there were fewer than 300,000. That's the lowest number of wild salmon ever recorded. And that's cause for huge concern. In her documentary, Swimming Upstream, the CBC's Jennifer Chrumka explains how First Nations, fishers and environmentalists are working together to turn the tide.

me -There's a season?

Aka

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 04, 2020, 10:13:33 AMAnother farmed salmon mass breakout in Tasmanian waters stuns Huon Aquaculture

Salmon farmer Huon Aquaculture is investigating another unexplained incident that allowed an entire pen of fish to escape into the ocean off southern Tasmania.

Key points:
It's the second big loss of Atlantic salmon from a Huon Acquaculture fish farm in Tasmania in days
About 130,000 fish each weighing about half a kilogram have escaped into Storm Bay

Company founder wishes "merry Christmas" to local fishers out in droves trying to catch the salmon
The company says 130,000 salmon escaped through a "significant tear" in a fortress pen in Storm Bay on Wednesday morning.

Early last week, the company lost more than 50,000 fish when a pen caught fire in the D'Entrecasteaux Channel, melting part of the structure.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-03/suspicion-around-second-mass-salmon-escape-tasmanian-fish-farm/12947734

Radio Report from ABC Radio:

Environmentalists concerned after second mass exodus of salmon from fish farm

Listen Here 5:55

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/newsradio/environmentalists-concerned-after-second-mass/12950166

In related news, my dad says his freezer is now full. He caught 20 of the escapees from the Huon pens which are about 7 miles down river from his house. He took his boat down river and stretched a net out for a couple of hours. He figured they weigh around 10lbs. each and at $20AUD a kilo he put nearly two grand worth of fish in his freezer in a day.

Onslow

Quote from: Aka on December 07, 2020, 11:26:41 AMWhat say you, The Dude, any plans for a soy based tire?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/03/us/microplastics-tire-rubber-chemicals-killing-coho-salmon-scn/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2020-12-07T06%3A01%3A10&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR1cH1b1T82WqhmbZvJQPCrOpUKWUG0o8gbGByNVF5-J3FbcDnM46jT_pqw

18 months ago, I was riding in a van full of Boy Scouts, and the gas gage needle started moving a bit quickly.  Upon our arrival back at the lodge, I stuck my head under the van, and gas was running steadily out of the line.

I heard a bit later the fuel lines were soy based. Woodland rodents enjoy chewing on this variety of plant based product. I'm not thinking this is a good plan. Soy processing has some other serious downsides. The population needs to be thinned, but this can be accommplished without turning males into soy boys.

Woolly Bugger

Federal government to build new $176 million "fishway" on the Fraser River

>>>The federal government announced this week it has contracted engineering giant Kiewit to construct a new permanent fishway on the Fraser River at the site of the Big Bar landslide, located about 64 km north of Lillooet.

The contract value is worth CAD$176.3 million, which includes design work. Construction is expected to begin this winter for an operational start in time for the Fraser River's Pacific wild salmon migration in 2022.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/big-bar-landslide-fraser-river-fishway-passage-salmon
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Restrictions Send Waves Through Sport Fishing Community
FISH OFF: As WDFW Restricts Fishing from Floating Devices on Coastal Rivers, Guides and Sport Fisherman are Left Reeling

>>>The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WFDW) announced new restrictions Tuesday that prohibit fishing from floating devices and the use of baits or scents in coastal rivers. The restrictions, which go into place Dec. 14, sent ripples through the sport fishing community.

Fishing from jet sleds, drift boats and pontoons are all prohibited, greatly limiting the areas fishermen can harvest from and eliminating popular boat-fishing methods such as plugging, side drifting and bobber dogging. Selective gear rules are also in effect, except one single-point barbless hook is allowed, and all rainbow trout must be released.

Rivers will also close earlier than in past years, ranging from Jan. 1, 2021 to April 1, 2021, depending on the river. In Lewis County, the Chehalis, Skookumchuck and Newaukum rivers, including all forks, each close April 1.

http://www.chronline.com/news/restrictions-send-waves-through-sport-fishing-community/article_782c49ae-3c03-11eb-871a-674c34d7f3fa.html
me -There's a season?