News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Wild Water..

Started by blue ridge angler, February 20, 2011, 20:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue ridge angler

Today I decided to hike up the wild section of river above the local DH..
I have been up there many times, but today I thought I would try to get further than I have ever been..
I fished a little in some good looking runs on the hike up, and managed to hook and fight a few nice fish but they all came un-buttoned..I hiked a total of almost 3 hrs in and managed to set eyes on a good bit of river for the first time..some real nice water up there, but rugged doesn't begin to describe the countryside..Quite a hike..on the way out I fished some of the holes I had skipped on the way in and caught a beauty of a rainbow..got a 12ver of PBR's in the fridge..I gotta say it was a good day..

0:0

Woolly Bugger

me? it would appear that I live in the wrong part of the state!

and you? well;

{S;
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

The Dude

I've always wanted to check out that section of river, but I was too scared of a wall of water coming downstream while I was in there with no place to escape.  Plus, Snag was too big of a pussy to ever join me.  I appreciate you doing the deed and taking pictures.  It is bigger water than I suspected.  I bet there are a lot of large rainbows that will be heading up in there over the next month or so.  How far up did you make it?  You certainly earned that nice rainbow.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

blue ridge angler

Quote from: The Dude on February 20, 2011, 21:27:30 PM
I've always wanted to check out that section of river, but I was too scared of a wall of water coming downstream while I was in there with no place to escape.  Plus, Snag was too big of a pussy to ever join me.  I appreciate you doing the deed and taking pictures.  It is bigger water than I suspected.  I bet there are a lot of large rainbows that will be heading up in there over the next month or so.  How far up did you make it?  You certainly earned that nice rainbow.

It is unnerving knowing how much they change the generation schedule un announced, but as long as you are on the left bank facing upstream you should be good if the water comes up..I'm not sure exactly how far I made it but I stopped where a pretty sizeable flow came in from the left..I have been un able to find it on any map of the area, but it looked big enough to hold trout..

The Dude

Quote from: blue ridge angler on February 20, 2011, 21:35:31 PM
I have been un able to find it on any map of the area, but it looked big enough to hold trout..

It doesn't take much.  I was fishing a feeder stream to the Davidson on Saturday and headed up a feeder to the feeder.  After a while, I found a feeder to the feeder to the feeder.  No shit.  And, you guessed it, it had fish in it.  I am pretty sure they were brookies, but I didn't actually hook any of them.   The stream was too choked with rhodo to be able to make a cast, and it was getting late, so I just kinda sloshed in the water and spooked them.

Back to the stream you fished today, do you think any large fish run upriver to the dam and are ripe for the catching right now?

Oh, and I could have used you on the river I fished today.  Not much of a mayfly population, but it is a serious stone fly factory and it also holds shiners/minnows.  Your signature big woolly buggers, streamers, etc would have been clutch. 
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Friar Tuck

blue ridge angler

Dude,
I would wager that there are big fish that run upstream..awhile back I explored downstream from the dam and found, much like the stretch today there are lots of big deep pools, as well as large gravel beds where very big fish could concentrate and spawn..I believe there is suitable substrate throughout that whole section of river but I wonder how far up they would run..I know the top end near the dam gets hammered pretty hard..

I was looking at bugs on the home water the other day when I was with snag and permit, and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of stone flies that are in that stream..every little rock that I pulled out of the swift riffles had 3 to 5 tiny black stone nymphs, and alot of them also had the big golden stone nymphs as well..

on the subject of feeders,
I was fishing a small creek around here last fall with permit and we explored a tiny little trickle, and sure enough we caught some cool looking little rainbows..if it's clear and cold they'll be there.. 

snagaluffaguss

Very nice,

You are however taking your life in your own hands up in there.  Ive got the same amount of curriosity about that place but Ive fished up there a number of times on a number of different generations schedules and have come to the coclusion that the fish up in there are not worth the risk...that doesnt mean I wouldnt hike up in there to fish that feeder though that sounds intresting.   On the subject of spawning fish.  Back before I was more knowledgeable about trout and such I ventured up in there by my lonesome one day and found all these fish swimming next to each other and flipping over on their sides and if you could get a prince nymph in front of them they took it everytime.  I didnt really know what was going on and that I shouldnt be up in there fishing at that time.  Needless to say it was a heck of day of fishing.   I would feel worse about that past sin if it wasnt on that water, but knowing what I know about that place I only feel a moderate amount of remorse. 

blue ridge angler

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on February 20, 2011, 22:44:34 PM

You are however taking your life in your own hands up in there. 

If you fish any of our mountain streams you are taking your life in your own hands to some extent..and spending much time on the far bank is not smart at all, but I believe that if you are careful and stay on the left bank you are pretty safe..I only go up there during dry spells though..

snagaluffaguss

True True,

So lets me, you, the Dude and Dirty too give that a shot sometime in the spring if this turns out to be a drought year.  In the meantime get your 10 ready for later this week

blue ridge angler

The ten is locked and loaded..I am ready to try the 375gr for the first time..

diaz dassie

Youre about as insane as me. Gorge sections are where the dragons lay. I just hope to high heck I don't kick it being a wise ass solo fishing a gully/box canyon. well done mate 0:0

wncpermit

nice work BRA.  I'm coming next time.   doing some more casting practice later this week? thats fun........

tbird4

I didn't know that water was that wide up there.  Yep watch that water.  Good way to spend a day. Nice Bow 'c;