News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited odds and ends
Last post by Onslow - March 27, 2024, 17:08:28 PM
June 2, 1924, Calvin Coolidge signed the Snyder act. Some American Indians were eligible for citizenship in 1919 after WWI, but it wasn't until the Snyder Act was signed that all were :'(

Just thought I'd bring this up during this traditional season of self reflection as the 100 anniversary mark nears.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Climate change?
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 27, 2024, 11:26:03 AM
Climate change is altering Earth's rotation enough to mess with our clocks

The melting of polar ice due to global warming is affecting Earth's rotation and could have an impact on precision timekeeping, according to a paper published Wednesday in the journal Nature.

The planet is not about to jerk to a halt, nor speed up so rapidly that everyone gets flung into space. But timekeeping is an exact science in a highly technological society, which is why global authorities more than half a century ago felt compelled by the slight changes in Earth's rotation to invent the concept of the "leap second."

Climate change is now making these calculations even more complicated: In just a few years it may be necessary to insert a "negative leap second" into the calendar to get the planet's rotation in sync with Coordinated Universal Time.

https://wapo.st/43yVFJq
Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - March 26, 2024, 11:03:31 AM
Quote from: trout-r-us on March 26, 2024, 08:03:11 AMMaking books available vs making books required reading are two different things.
I would agree that the public schools should be monitored regarding books that are required reading, but the libraries should offer the opportunity for students to research any topic they would like. To do otherwise, restricts learning which in turn can lead to the creation of more ignorant bigoted blowhards such as Senator Kennedy.

I agree, 100 percent!

Simply seeing students in a library reading/researching anything is encouraging, at least to me.  Plus, the material available on the web surely dwarfs any material found in a school or public library.

Of all the crap our youth must deal with during this chapter of human existence, questionable readings/books located in school libraries are darned close to the bottom of the list.

Also, one of you pretentious peckerwoods please tell me the true definition of woke.   
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Nuclear Disaster...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 26, 2024, 08:35:25 AM
Images from deep inside Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant show daunting scale of clean-up job

Images taken by miniature drones from deep inside a badly damaged reactor at the Fukushima nuclear plant show displaced control equipment and misshapen materials but leave many questions unanswered, underscoring the daunting task of decommissioning the plant.

The 12 photos released by the plant's operator are the first from inside the main structural support called the pedestal in the hardest-hit No. 1 reactor's primary containment vessel, an area directly under the reactor's core. Officials had long hoped to reach the area to examine the core and melted nuclear fuel which dripped there when the plant's cooling systems were damaged by a massive earthquake and tsunami in 2011.

Earlier attempts with robots were unable to reach the area. The two-day probe using tiny drones was completed last week by Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, or TEPCO, which released the photos on Monday.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fukushima-nuclear-disaster-japan-drone-photos-deep-inside-reactor-1-meltdown/
Last post by trout-r-us - March 26, 2024, 08:03:11 AM
Making books available vs making books required reading are two different things.
I would agree that the public schools should be monitored regarding books that are required reading, but the libraries should offer the opportunity for students to research any topic they would like. To do otherwise, restricts learning which in turn can lead to the creation of more ignorant bigoted blowhards such as Senator Kennedy.
Last post by Onslow - March 26, 2024, 05:05:53 AM
Quote from: troutboy_II on March 25, 2024, 12:20:08 PMWhile I am sure that concerns about severe weather may have some impact on these folks, I think having an insane governor must have an equal impact if not more so. What a wack doddle.  :o

Imho of course... Your milage may very.

TB
Quote from: troutboy_II on March 25, 2024, 12:20:08 PMWhile I am sure that concerns about severe weather may have some impact on these folks, I think having an insane governor must have an equal impact if not more so. What a wack doddle.  :o

TB

DeSantis is a moral supremacist just as the Neo Woke crowd are.  Same smelly shit in a different wrapper.

Perhaps a tuition refund for all his advance degrees are in order being he does not have the smarts to handle the dumb-dumbs he's quarreling with.  Yes, he is correct, there are materials that should not be in public schools.  My issue is how he exposed weakness in handling the situation by compromising the 1st, and not enforcing existing child protection laws.

Shining a light on the stupid is a great way to confront the issue.

Last post by troutboy_II - March 25, 2024, 12:20:08 PM
While I am sure that concerns about severe weather may have some impact on these folks, I think having an insane governor must have an equal impact if not more so. What a wack doddle.  :o

TB
Last post by trout-r-us - March 24, 2024, 12:39:19 PM
More fun coming for folks that have fun hating Yankees.

"Boomers fed up with Florida are moving to southern Appalachia, fueling a population spike in longtime rural communities"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boomers-fed-florida-moving-southern-152041744.html
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Nuclear Disaster...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - March 24, 2024, 10:03:09 AM

The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited confederate (or ...
Last post by trout-r-us - March 22, 2024, 20:34:41 PM
Quote from: Onslow on March 21, 2024, 20:59:11 PM
Quote from: trout-r-us on March 21, 2024, 07:36:41 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 20, 2024, 08:44:15 AMNorth Carolina appeals court upholds ruling that kept Confederate monument in place.

https://wr.al/1RWpb

All part of the effort to make America great again I guess. We can only hope that good people are able to continue to hold back the tide of hatred.

You cannot view this attachment.

Yankees are so fun to hate.  Trump and Joy Baher, archetypal Yankees, lol.

My oh my. Such hatred. So much for good ol' southern hospitality.🤣🤣
George Clooney born in Kentucky, therefore not technically a yankee.