News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Spicebush and Bur Oak

Started by Big J, October 22, 2018, 08:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Plans for this weekend changed a dozen times.  Had 3 different people commit to fish and than bail for one reason or another.  Had the species of fish that were supposed to be pursed change due to rivers being blown out.  Finally said screw it and decided to crash at Mudwall's and fish a few streams around his place.  First stream I've never fished this section of and been wanting to try it out.  Saturday was in the 50's.  Threw a dry dropper for a while.  A lot of big bows came off the dry, a few brookies off the dropper.  Decided to switch it up and go deep and started picking up more brookies.  Lost a big brookie down here at the net and hooked a massive rainbow that quickly came off. 

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Horsetail

This rainbow hammered the dry and put up an impressive fight.

Lots of these guys coming off.  Surprised the brookies weren't rising for them.

Battle wound

Really love this water.

But all things come to an end....

Mudwall's winterberry.

Mudwall and his Mrs. feed me well.  Wild turkey, potatoes, spinach and kale, and rolls for dinner.  Got to watch OSU lose as I went over the Topo maps with Mudwall.  Woke up to bacon, eggs, and biscuits.  Very gracious host, thanks Mudwall.

Sunday I tried to find a couple streams Mudwall pointed me too.  Never could find them as you can tell by my tracks on the watch....

Thought this was the stream, but after uploading the watch coordinates, I parked at the wrong spot and needed to hike down a half a mile further.  Oh well.  I headed back to the car and hit a different stream on the way home.  Passed this on the way out of the stream though. 

This yellow jacket had a cold night.  He was still alive.  Sunday was in the low 30's in the morning with winds around 20 mph.  The day warmed up to high 40's. 

Got into fish immediately though.

This brook had some interesting face marking.  Never have seen a brook trout with yellow on his jaw.

Then this guy.  I hooked a rainbow at the back of a massive log jam and this brookie came after it.  About pissed myself.  Tied on a stream and couldn't get the brookie to reappear.  I did not know that after this brookie chased the bow, he went up to the head of the run above the log jam.  I thought the brookie was spooked so I took the stream off and resumed fishing.  Came up the top of the 6 inch deep riffles and drifted my fly through it and fish on.  Immediately realized this was "the fish" from back of the pool and was nervous about losing this fish.  Put up an impressive fight.  This guy is very very close to the 14 inch mark.

Another shot of the big guy.

Next fish was another male that felt "small" after that last fish.  After realizing this feeling, I decided I've had a good enough day and should head home.

About walked into this spider on way to the car. I really hate spiders.

Dougfish

Doink! Good recovery.
14 dick inches! Nice feesh.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Beetle

Noice!!!!    0:0

That brookie is amazing.

I planted winterberries this year.     I think the deer have been eating them.

ryguy

Nice fish!  This fall weather is great. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

Great fish! Excellent report, sir.

itieuglyflies

Wow, super report and an incredible brookie and nice bows plus mountain hospitality........but Hot Box leaves me wondering!

Phil

Damn fine brookies, sir. Especially that huge one!!  bd;0  bd;0

Al

Ditto what most have said  'c; bd;0 'c; bd;0 'c; bd;0

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: itieuglyflies on October 22, 2018, 10:47:53 AM
........but Hot Box leaves me wondering!

The Hot Box, which has been there for more than 40 years, is just a simple hunting cabin I believe, w/o any windows, and no ventilation other than the door.  I am sure it hot as hell when you incorporate a bit of inside heat.    The back road location of the Hot Box was one of my favorite daylight parking-and-sparking spots in high school – easy access and within earshot of flowing water, and the sound of babbling water has a soothing influence on the young, inexperienced, male psyche.  Sound of babbling H2O = correct rhythm = acceptable performance = happy young rooster.  You guys get the picture.

Big J did very well with the local fishes.       
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Figured that Hot Box picture would give away that location, but you all can search around there for that big brookie all you want  8)

driver

Im glad somebody gets to fish. Nice report.

Big J

Quote from: driver on October 22, 2018, 12:11:20 PM

After some people bailed, I about called you up to see about going after some Albies.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on October 22, 2018, 12:29:27 PM

After some people bailed, I about called you up to see about going after some Albies.

For the record, I did not bail!  I was domineered, trumped, overruled, etc. by a 58 year old female hell bent on home improvement projects and other BS that cuts deep into any free time I was hoping to have in retirement.  Would any of you like to borrow an industrious, productive gal, who can wire a building, build most anything, and plant stuff (but can't cook)? – no charge, no time limit but would prefer contract to last through the 1st week of May 2019 (end of spring gobbler season).  Thank you.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Native Fisher

Passed that Hot Box many times.  Now I will have to purge that mental image of Muddy next time I go by.  :o

driver

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on October 22, 2018, 12:52:10 PM
Quote from: Big J on October 22, 2018, 12:29:27 PM

For the record, I did not bail!  I was domineered, trumped, overruled, etc. by a 58 year old female hell bent on home improvement projects and other BS that cuts deep into any free time I was hoping to have in retirement.  Would any of you like to borrow an industrious, productive gal, who can wire a building, build most anything, and plant stuff (but can't cook)? – no charge, no time limit but would prefer contract to last through the 1st week of May 2019 (end of spring gobbler season).  Thank you.
I do have an opening. Wire running is required. Might be a bit of a commute.