News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

2013 Warm Water

Started by OldDominionAngler, February 12, 2013, 23:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldDominionAngler

Got out today to baptize the new carp stick.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Stare at a rock long enough and it might become a mud plume..cast to a mud plume enough and you might catch a fish.

And a new pattern is on the board.

sanjuanwormhatch

Nice.  I love that stick.  That or a glass rod will probably be my next purchase. 

The Dude

Well done.  Where were you fishing?  I've seen lots of big carp roaming around in schools of 5-8 fish in the Upper Potomac around Riverbend Park and Algonkian Park.  Also, for some small stream carp fishing, check out Bull Run near the battlefield.  Carp are easy to locate in the pools there, and there are also some good-sized River Redhorse as a bonus.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Big J

Carp in Feb. is pretty sick.  I've hit the pond a couple times across the street from me and have caught a bunch of dink LMB cruising the shallows.  It's been an unusual winter that's for sure.  One day it's in the 60's and the next it's snowing.

OldDominionAngler

Quote from: The Dude on February 13, 2013, 07:57:00 AM
Well done.  Where were you fishing?  I've seen lots of big carp roaming around in schools of 5-8 fish in the Upper Potomac around Riverbend Park and Algonkian Park.  Also, for some small stream carp fishing, check out Bull Run near the battlefield.  Carp are easy to locate in the pools there, and there are also some good-sized River Redhorse as a bonus.

Thanks for the intel Dude.  I know of both spots, but haven't fished either.  Those will come in handy especially since my new gig will have me commuting to Sterling everyday. 

This is a canal fish, that's where I've had best luck.  I've fished a lot of water between the Rock Creek confluence upstream to Great Falls.  During winter they'll draw down the water for lock maintenance..in a few spots there is enough water to hold fish and its shallow enough that it warms up quickly on a sunny day anytime of year.

I've had a few tussles with river fish but much less luck finding them consistently. That shit will get your heart pounding.

croaker

Quote from: kylemc on February 12, 2013, 20:44:45 PM
That's awesome! Please redo and start a 2013 thread and be the first up. Warm water pics in Feb! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would like to see this hit 100 pages by Jan. 1 2014. 'c; 'c; 'c; 'c; 'c; 'c;

Had a couple hours to myself last Sunday evenin' to slip back to the ol' Mill pond my Dad and I had fished last Wednesday.

Wind looked sporty from the hill again :o

The conditions were good fer trick castin'.  Curve cast, circle cast, wiggle minnow in the knee casts...
No problemo...
Kinda happy I was the only one on the pond = No witnesses to my comedic skunk...

Did find some of these in the cooler to ease me through the smell:

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Transylwader

And here I'm tying backstabbers in prep for my spring onslaught. Shit on toast that was good Chris! Stump/ Crayfish it is 8)

Jfey

Sometimes great ideas, just don't pan out....

Got a call from Overbrook to meet him and Croaker on Sunday to float the Savannah.  Even though it had been raining hard, that river typically clears pretty quickly and we thought that even though it wouldn't be ideal, we could pull it off(foreshadowing alert)

We got to the river and quickly saw that it was much less than ideal.  Water was up and pretty muddy.  After some deliberation, we decided that we might as well enjoy the day and float down the river.  Maybe, it would be better down a little further (foreshadowing alert)

Overbrook is the first to jump in

You are going to want to watch out for these in the water

Not ideal conditions

After setting a speed record for floating this section, we said goodbye to Croaker and Overbrook and I decided to go check out his pond

Much better

much much better

much, much worse

Freakin car broke down on the way home.. To make matters worse, my wallet disappeared at some point during the day b';... called my wife who was able to take care of the tow, but no wallet mean no renting a car to get home.  This meant my lovely(in case she is reading this) wife had to come pick me up at the car dealership in Columbia, SC and drive my sorry ass home.  Luckily she has learned to laugh at me vs get pissed at me.

Left the house at 5:00am and got back around 11:00pm last night.   -+;

Yup, going fishing

bullship

It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

Big J

Man that sucks about the river and the suv.  What ended up breaking on the Explorer?  It doesn't look old enough to be breaking down on you already.

Jfey

Not sure yet on the Explorer, but fairly certain it was the transmission that was just re-built 6 months ago.  Hoping that is it as it would be covered under the warranty from when it was originally "repaired".
Yup, going fishing

The Dude

It's just about the right time for the stripers to be running up Long Cane Creek/Little River.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

croaker

Here's some pictures from the quick float on the Savannah River Rapids this past Sunday with Jfey and Overbrook...

Jeff, bummer on the vehicle on top of the less than perfect level on the Savannah.  Although it was a nice day in February fer a boat ride.

Wish you had took some video of Overbrooks anchoring and toon riding skills...
Looked like a bull rider with one hand down on the rope and one waving up over his head with a bull squatted down and twisting his ass prior to throwing him off at 7.8 seconds. 

Lookin' forward to tryin' again when the water is a tad lower... ;D

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

overbrook

Damn...and I thought I was going to get thru this without the anchor story being told   :embarassed:  . Jeff...for the record...I looked early and they were running 8,000 cfs which has been normal for the last couple of years....low and behold I checked after you left my house and it was showing over 20,000 cfs and climbing straight up! It sucks all the bad luck you had....I really did feel like shit for ya....but on the bright side your 0 and 2  the odds are with ya to finally have the stellar day down there  d:b   (just keep telling yourself that)

sanjuanwormhatch

Looks like a great time despite the less than ideal conditions.  Hope to join y'all once I get the float boat fixed.