News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Dan River 1-27

Started by Fire-Fly, January 27, 2007, 18:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

I fished the Dan this morning and thought it was going to be a great day, i caught 5 fish in the from 10 am to 11am, i caught 1 brown about 16 inches and a bow about 14 inches, sorry i dont have picts i went to take a picture of the borwn and the battery in my camera was dead. Anyway i ended up catching 4 browns and the one bow all day. I fished from 11 am until 3pm and never got another bite oh well. I fished a number of nymphs throughout the day. Caught the brown on a caddis larvae nymph.

Woolly Bugger

Sounds like a great day . . . What part of the Dan were you fishing? Five in the first hour sounds terrific! Too bad the action slowed down...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Fire-Fly

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 27, 2007, 22:25:41 PM
Sounds like a great day . . . What part of the Dan were you fishing? Five in the first hour sounds terrific! Too bad the action slowed down...

I was fishing below the powerhouse, in the stocked area, there were alot of people fishing but none were fly fishing. I usually catch around 15 to 20 in the Dan but i think the recent cold weather has turned the fish off.

Bloy

Quote from: Fire-Fly on January 29, 2007, 12:11:33 PM
I was fishing below the powerhouse, in the stocked area,
Where is the stocked area? When I think of the Dan river all I think of is where it runs through Danville.
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

natureboy

I fished down there a couple weeks ago.  :-X   >:D

The Dan's down there somewhere...

Fire-Fly

Quote from: Bloy on January 30, 2007, 08:37:18 AM
Quote from: Fire-Fly on January 29, 2007, 12:11:33 PM
I was fishing below the powerhouse, in the stocked area,
Where is the stocked area? When I think of the Dan river all I think of is where it runs through Danville.
Barry
The stocked area is below Stuart Va, it is off of 103, look on the va game and wildlife site and it will show you, and if you havent fished it before you need to take the time to go, let me know sometime and i'll take you and fish it with you.Take a good selection of nymphs, and forget any dry flies.

Bloy

QuoteThe Dan's down there somewhere...
Looks like the same place I left my last two old trucks.  :P
Barry

Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

brody

The fall-off in fishing might have something to do with the power generation. I've always done much better in there when they are running more water. If you look at the flow charts you can see how drastically the stream was lowered on the 27th:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?02068500

Have fun,
Eric

BugSlinger

Quote from: Fire-Fly on January 27, 2007, 18:23:49 PM
Caught the brown on a caddis larvae nymph.

What color caddis larvae - green or cream?

Fire-Fly

Quote from: BugSlinger on February 07, 2007, 15:39:58 PM
Quote from: Fire-Fly on January 27, 2007, 18:23:49 PM
Caught the brown on a caddis larvae nymph.

What color caddis larvae - green or cream?
I actually found a few in the steam and they were green, so thats what i used. About a size 18.