Old dog trip report....

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 13, 2015, 11:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Took the old Sally dog up to Philpott's field on a fishing trip.  The old gal is enthusiastic about getting to go on an adventure, but the energy is waning, she slept the whole way up and lay around on the ground as I was gearing up.  She did wander over to great a pair of fishermen in the parking area. We hiked on down across the field and she followed, instead of leading the way. When we got to the river she just lay down and basked in the sun as I waded out into the water.  The fishing was slow, so I joined Sally and sat down on the bank and waited for the BWO hatch, which came off at one, but the fish never showed any interest in coming to the surface.  Well, I must admit that I missed two that rose to my offering, and I heard the curses of other fishermen as they too missed their targets. No fish to hand but a grand day none the less.

On the hike out, Sally trailed behind me and I even had to wait for her to catch up.  I'm beginning to think that she might not be around with us much longer.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Good report, it isn't always about catching fish as you are well aware of.  Sorry to see Sally's getting up there in age. Thanks for the reminder that I need to get my dog out more. 

troutboy_II

Thanks for the report. 

Charley, our golden, is also up there in age and unfortunately has Hemangiosarcoma.  This is a real problems for many breeds, but seems to particularly be a problem for GR's.  We have lost probably 4 dogs over the last 30 years, all goldens (sister is breeder, so...), so we unfortunately know the drill.  Charley had his spleen out a few months ago and we had hoped that the test results would not be the cancer, but no luck.  Cost of the surgery was enuff for a couple of fancy guided trips out west.  Oh well, Charley is a member of the family so what are you going to do?  Anyway, he has had a new lease on life and is feeling good currently, so we are spoiling him all the time and enjoying his friendship while he is here.  More trips to and hikes around the cabin while he's still able to enjoy it.  He's a great dog!

Sally sounds like a real trooper and you are a good friend to take her with you.  I'm sure she appreciates it. 

TB

When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Dougfish

Well, dammit.
You are both lucky to have each other.

OldDominionAngler

The Dude

Best skunkage report I've ever seen.  I met Sally once on the D about 5 or 6 years ago - sweet dog.  I had to shut down Buck Nasty's fishing trips two years ago.  I really enjoyed his company, energy and positive attitude out on the stream, on the trail or around the campfire and am happy to have had the chance to share that with him, even if he can't do it like he used to.

Btw, I love that last photo of the fly with the sunlight glinting off of the hook.  Photo enhancement afterwards or just the way the camera took the image?

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Jfey

She might be slower, but you know she enjoyed being out and streamside.

Yea, that bwo pic is pretty cool.
Yup, going fishing

gillman

Good, old fishing dogs know when it's time to just stare at the dust down a country road. She's a pretty dog.
  My mutt, Buddy, would either try to fetch the cast fly or simply head home once I commenced to fishing, no telling.

TheYiman

Thanks for the TR.  Cool pics, glad y'all got out.

consumnfire1229

"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Transylwader

well shit Keith, never knew Sally God was that old.
Good pup that one. Enjoyed catching crappie fishes with her last year. I'd like to go again.

gamatt53

Did the same thing in the same place with my pup yesterday. Also caught a skunk. Wind was blowing right down the river all afternoon. Talked to some guys in the parking lot who had some success dragging nymphs but I have had enough of that shit all winter so just enjoyed throwing a dry between gusts.

benben reincarnated

The boss-man returneth. 

Lots of good dog love.