thought i'd lose my line and backing when...

Started by badankles, May 04, 2006, 21:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badankles

the 20 lb+ grass carp took off running with my damsel fly nymph.    :o  (Edit 5/6:  Actually, I showed one of my fishing buddy today the carp and he said it was more toward 40 lb.)

during my lunch hour at the local lake/pond, i was casting to some LM in the shade of low hanging branches when the line started moving away.  i lifted my 5wt and saw a huge wake rolling.  dang if it wasn't the carp.  there were three giants coasting along sunning themselves and gnawing on some green algea in the area.  i've read about how hard they pull so thought it'd be interesting to try it one of these days.

well, today was the day.  that thing took off 20 yards along the right bank, made a left turn toward the middle of the lake then left again shooting straight away from me along the left bank.  my fly line has long left the end of the last rung.

i made sure my lil'old reel had full drag on, but that thing kept going and going and going...20 mins later i'm down to only a few yards of backing left and started to worry.  i can't let him pull it down to the end so started to get more firm with him.

yikes, my rod never had such a workout then again my arm and wrists were also getting a beating.  he made a spurt while i was reeling so one of my knuckles got a whopping from the handle.  i didn't have a fighting butt, so was awkwardly wedging the rod against the band of my shorts.  had to squat down a few times to make sure the line doesn't get hung in the hanging branches while holding the end against the inside of my knee.

another 15 mins and that sucker (pun intended) was still going strong.  i put a bit more steady pressure then popped the line went slacked.  i thought my 5X tippet may have broke or one of the knot slipped, and prayed that it wasn't the knot holding my backing and the fly line.

it took 5 mins to reel in the slack.  to my amazement, everything was intact.  even the hook.  go figured.

my hands were still shaking 10 mins later on the drive back.  what a rush.  not sure i want to do it again, though.   :P

by the way, i learned a new knot instead of the clinch two or three months back.  today was an excellent test so i now have 100% confidence in it, the Davy knot.  i recommend it.   0--0
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

Woolly Bugger

Cool, I've never had an carp on the line, but it sounds like you neeeded an eight weight. A while bad biggens caught some up in Asheville.

Good report and too bad you didn't get to land that fish after such a long battle.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!