All things eventually come to an end

Started by The Dude, July 10, 2011, 20:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dude

My grandmother was a Slovakian immigrant that died when I was 7 years old.  However, I can still remember her giving me some advice in her broken English, "Boychick, all things in life will eventually come to an end." 
The point she was making was that if I was ever in a bad situation, I shouldn't get too down because it would eventually have to end and things will change for the better.  In addition, it also meant to keep me grounded in that when
everything is going great, don't get too high, because eventually, it too, shall end.  Life has been good for me for the past 5 years living in Greenville and getting to fish on a routine basis.  However,
it seems that will be coming to an end soon as I will be moving to take another position within the company.  With that said, having not fished much since Memorial Day Weekend, I got a chance to
get out today for what might be my last chance to visit the mountains of WNC and chase after trout.  I wasn't sure where to go for my farewell fishing trip at first, but I quickly realized that I needed
to hit up a real gem of a stream that has always been good to me, and that I have never seen another soul on.

I left the house at 5:30AM, arrived at the pull off at 8AM, rigged up and hit the trail by 8:15AM.  I hiked to the trail's end, past the old logging camp, crossed the stream a few times, bushwhacked
through the rhodos and eventually started fishing by 9:30AM. The woods were like a rainforest, damp from the week's rains and humid air.  I was soaked from head to toe busting through the brush and undergrowth
my clothes taking up the dew from the leaves, and sweat from my body.  But the good news was that the stream was flowing quite nicely and the fish were feeding happily.

I didn't end taking many pictures today, as I was just content to be out on the stream.  I even kept the camera in the holster for the big fish of the day.  It just seemed better that way.
Anyway, before I make this a really worthless post and any more boring to those who have made it this far, here are some photos from the day.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I must have had 7 or 8 fish come out of this pool alone.

Large feeder stream

The stream residents

I decided to take out at this point. 

I left the stream around 3:30, still soaking wet, and not looking forward to the walk back out.  I decided to see just how far of a walk it was back to the car, so I fired up the GPS to clock it. 
It turns out, it was 3.75 miles back.  That may not sound like much, but when there is no trail for the majority of it, it was an ass-kicker.  I barely had enough energy to take my boots off when I
I got back to the car.  One thing I won't miss is trying to negotiate rhododendron thickets.  Still, it was a fantastic day, and I probably caught close to 100 fish.  I certainly was a bit melancholy on the
drive back to SC.  Is anybody actually still reading this?  If so, you have no life.  ;)

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Big J

Guess I got no life haha but nice report and nice pictures!  And I doubt that this will be your last time chasing trout, but if it is, thats a good way to go  8)

benben reincarnated

I have no life, but I did enjoy your trip report.  Looks like you made your last day out count, big time.  Best of luck with your re-location and your new job.

FlyTiger

Looks like a hell of a way to go out.  Well played and you know I have no life.

The Dude

Thanks, Rich.  I'm sure I'll make it back once or twice a year, but just not like it used to be. 
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

snagaluffaguss

I know you love those small streams and brookies

I have an a special place in my heart for them as well

but...

There is a whole world of 6, 8, and 10 weights that are awaiting you.  -0-

Give me a call and a place to toss a sleeping bag Ill gladly show you how to double haul. :P

Good luck on the new place and dont be a stranger

Ill put a bed in the man room for you to crash in when you are up this way.

0:0

OldDominionAngler

...and that's what makes it so sweet.  Nicely done.

Where ya headed?

natureboy

Great report Dude and good luck wherever you're headed.   0:0

jwgnc

Great report - best of luck in the new endeavor
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

The Dude

I'll be living a more coastal lifestyle down the road in the Hilton Head/Beaufort area.

Also, one thing that I forgot to mention about yesterday's fishing.  I noticed "antennae" sticking out of the gullets of 4 or 5 fish throughout the day.  I assumed that they had been eating crawfish.  Finally, I caught a small speck that had like 3 sets of tentacles protruding from its mouth.  I thought there was no way that a small fish like that could eat multiple crawfish and not have a noticable bulge in its stomach.  So, I tugged on the "antennae" and it turned out to be the legs from a daddy long legs.  I guess that is what they were keying in on, fwiw.  I wonder if they all were from instances where the daddy long legs somehow fell into the water, or if they might be jumping up and picking them off of overhanging rocks and branches.  Or maybe they enter the water a lot more than I realize.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diaz dassie

Im working on ARCGIS. Spent yesterday walking the marsh flats up in Carolina Beach. Still cannot justify salt water fly fishing over bluelining. That brookie mentality runs too deep in my veins. You will be missed bruddah. I will hold the fort on ***** Creek until someone crazy as you can accompany a dumb Saffa 8)

ScoutHikerDad

Good report, John-I've been out West with the family on a road trip around the 4 Corners area, so I've been "off the grid" for  a couple of weeks (mostly National Park camping in Arizona and Utah). As I type this from a KOA cabin in Durango, CO, I wish you well in the Beaufort area; you will be missed in the Upstate. We will expect to see some redfish pics soon.

Oh, and good to see you on here FlyTiger/Rich. We'll go after some brookies ourselves after I get back.  Aaron

MBB

Great report.  Hopefully, you will be back in G'ville soon.   

MarshStomper

Hit me up if you ever want to fish I'm on the south side Charleston half of the year a lot of reds down there. Jason Aldean sucks, steals all his music from Brantley Gilbert. But seriously let me know when your all settled down that way I'll be glad to help you make the adjustment :D
"In this world there are two kinds of people my friend those with loaded guns and those who dig, you dig" --The Good