Social Distancing with the Girls

Started by Big J, March 23, 2020, 09:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

The Killers is one of those bands where I feel like I shouldn't like them, but they write such catchy crap.  Lyrics are fitting for the times as well.

Wife has been cooped up with a 4 yo who is upset she isn't going to preschool and a 2 year old that decided this was the week to regress in her potty training.  The staying at home was wearing on her so told her I'd take the girls out for some social distancing.  Went to a stream I knew would be easy hiking for the girls, wild flowers would be out, plenty of ramps to harvest, and a fish or two would be a bonus. 

Got to the trail and the parking lot was slammed. 

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

On the walk by a pool right along the trail I dapped my fly into the run and brookie on.  Surprised to get one so quickly knowing how many people have hiked by and probably fished through this run.  Girls gave the fish a quick kiss and back in it went.

Ran into Doug hiking out and set the girls up for a quick lunch.  Notice the ramps in the background? I turned and started harvesting a few and by the time I got a bag full of them the girls had killed a whole bag of bbq chips. . . . Doug was impressed.  The girls are definitely mine.

Doug entertaining the girls as I crawl around for ramps.  Found them an inch worm that the girls never did fully believe was a worm.

But who could blame them?  The thing didn't move.

Then me and the girls hopped back into the stream and caught a bow pretty quickly.

And enjoyed the flowers.

And stuffed a backpack full of rocks....that I ended up having to carry out.

Hit one last pool on the way out to get the 2 yo a fish. 

Not a bad way to spend the afternoon.

Bonus social distancing content:

Came home and fired up the smoker that night for some pulled pork.

And made some ramp compound butter to last me months.

Sunday woke up to have ramp eggs and toast.

Pulled pork ready for lunch.

Smoked some ribs for a neighbor.

And reheated the pork for a quesadilla for dinner.  Yes that quesadilla was made using ramp butter.

Then rounded out the night with a fire and smores.

Hoping this time is bringing everyone else closer to their families as well.  :cheers

Onslow

Aw, the was very sweet!

I want some smoked duck with some ramp dip.

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

Looks like about a perfect way to spend a day!  'c; Q looks spot-on, too!

You have manufactured a pair of unbelievably cute small humans there. Enjoy every day with them. Seems like no time since my son was tagging along like that poking things with sticks and turning over rocks to find salamanders. Now, he's a large, hairy, tattoo-covered, slightly balding Marine with two kids of his own.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

ryguy

Nice!  I've heard the more popular areas of the park are busy.  I'll have to check the weather for this weekend, my daughter would love this.

Sedition and Pockets

hcrum87hc

Looks like a great day! I can't wait to get both my girls out on the trail. The 3 year old can hang on some shorter treks, but the 7 month old obviously isn't quite there yet. Wish we had some closer trout streams. May have to settle with introducing them to bream first.
Jeremiah 17:7

Big J

Quote from: Yallerhammer on March 23, 2020, 09:44:54 AMLooks like about a perfect way to spend a day!  'c; Q looks spot-on, too!

You have manufactured a pair of unbelievably cute small humans there. Enjoy every day with them. Seems like no time since my son was tagging along like that poking things with sticks and turning over rocks to find salamanders. Now, he's a large, hairy, tattoo-covered, slightly balding Marine with two kids of his own.

They take after their mother.  Sometimes wonder if they are even mine, until I see them eat fist full of pulled pork or a whole bag of lays chips.

troutboy_II

'c;  'c;

Brought a smile to my face!  Thanks.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

greg