Planning the Return West!!!

Started by twinbridges, January 10, 2015, 11:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinbridges

The joy for me of New Years is I begin to plan my journey back west to Twin! Plan so far is to leave NC March 30, camp in Great Smoky Mountain NP first night, then to the Mississippi River day two, then to Petit Jean Park in Arkansas, then two more days somewhere to Albuquerque to pick up friend, then to Mesa Verde, then Canyonlands, then Arches, dropping him afterward in Salt Lake and then on to Twin arriving on the 9th of April.

Planning a good road trip is very special and means that the season will soon be on.  Looks like snowpack is good so far.  We will see.

Jfey

Yup, going fishing

Rhody

I'm kinda maybe planning an April trip, whatcha thinkin for pre-runoff this year?
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

twinbridges

The snow pack is not quite normal yet which is a worry.  However, we normally get a lot of snow from now till June so there is still time to get there.  Has been a very warm winter out in Montana land, guess we got the cold air, but last few days has been below zero so that is good.  I think they are saying snowpack for the Jefferson watershed, which includes Big Hole, Beayerhead and Ruby is at about 80% or so.  That being said, looks like the Beayerhead is above average and the Ruby is well below average. 

April should be well before snowmelt and personally I think some of the best fishing is during April.  It can be snowing one day and brutal and really nice the next so you just take it as it is.  Lots of layers.  Good thing is the rivers are mostly empty which is great and the critters are moving around...think first moose in the river time.

I plan to make Twin about the 10th or April so stay in touch.

Transylwader

Quote from: twinbridges on March 04, 2015, 08:44:48 AM
The snow pack is not quite normal yet which is a worry.
Yep, I'll be keeping the western elevations in my snow dance prayers. I have several trips out west this year that are all contingent on good snow pack.

flatlander

Quote from: Transylwader on March 04, 2015, 10:41:39 AM
Quote from: twinbridges on March 04, 2015, 08:44:48 AM
The snow pack is not quite normal yet which is a worry.
Yep, I'll be keeping the western elevations in my snow dance prayers. I have several trips out west this year that are all contingent on good snow pack.

Call me if you're near Craig in July. 

Transylwader

Quote from: Flatlander on March 04, 2015, 11:37:15 AM
You headed to CO? I am doing a road trip up there late July.
Creede to Cody, WY. Craig can def be a stop over.
In Cali late June.

sanjuanwormhatch

Tranny, I'd take the long way and follow the green/the western part of WY up and then cut over to Cody rather than drive through Laramie. 

edit: to say I'm sure that's what you're doing regardless but thought I would throw it out there.

Rhody

I have kept your April Fishing info in my memory banks for a while, and trying to make it happen. I have been telling myself I need to talk to Joe and get the honest Winter snowpack lowdown, as every picture I have seen looks to have a lack of snow.

Trying to plan a quick blast out in April, and another later in summer I miss fishing with you on the Big Hole in the Eddy! Will give you a call on your drive out to wake you up!
J.M.

flatlander

Quote from: Transylwader on March 04, 2015, 11:50:00 AM
Quote from: Flatlander on March 04, 2015, 11:37:15 AM
You headed to CO? I am doing a road trip up there late July.
Creede to Cody, WY. Craig can def be a stop over.
In Cali late June.

Craig, MT in July on the MO. 

Woolly Bugger

God speed! Who knows what my summer will be like.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

twinbridges

Hey Rhody,
I speak with Joe pretty often and for him he is betting on Spring snow to makes us whole.

If the water is too skinny I will remember NOT to go East Bank to Jerry Creek as I remember it being damn noisy bouncing off rocks all day.  That being said I also remember some fine trout.  My boat not so good afterward.....but you had a smile on your face.

Rhody

BIG SMILE, I got a raft now for next time we go, but damn it fished good, like all those rivers, working on my April hall pass
J.M.