kayaking the new with the boys...

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 12, 2007, 19:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Left town as soon as possible on Wednesday evening and go up to the New River Campground about dusk... got the tents set up and I started cooking while there was still a little light. The boys noticed some girls at the playground, so they split and went off to socialize. I rounded them up for dinner and they there were off again to explore the campground. I hit the sack at 12 and they stayed out till....

Anyway we go up early and cooked bacon and pancakes with a strawberry & banana salad....after working out the shuttle with we hit the water... I paddled over to a Creek Company Pontoon as I recognized Jeff's (Tri-State Anglers) trailer at the take-out. I hollered out "Where's Marty?", to which Jeff replied, "Come closer and I'll cut you!"  I wished him and his clients well and we paddled to get far in front of them.. The boys were having a blast and were throwing "seaweed" at each other. Chris liked to ride the kayak through the rapids while sitting on the top. This resulted in capsizing and lost lunch :( Zip locks may be a lot of things be waterproof isn't one of them...

Later in the day the boys were swimming as much as paddling and I took the opportunity to string up the rod. I caught a couple wading and casting a clouser to the ledges. Nothing huge but I was happy to get a fish on the new rod TiCr 9' 8wt and the Ross Evolution 3.5 was sweet. Can't wait for a fish that screams the drag.....

Moved on down to the lower section and brought a couple more to hand. 12" was it for the best fish of the day... but all told I only fished for a little over an hour. The kayak isn't easy to fish from either. I prefer the room of the 'toon and the higher vantage point.

We were off the water between 3 and 4.

When I get back from Montana the want to go backpacking? Smokies, or Wilson Creek? We'll see when I get back...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

peter p

Peter