Savannah River Shad 5/6/07...

Started by croaker, May 06, 2007, 23:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker

Heard rumors of Shad still in the Savannah River around an hour north of home...
Got up to dark clouds, wind & drizzlin' rain.  Looked at the radar and decided to have another cup of coffee or two... 

Got to the River around noon, still cloudy and windy and the parking lot with more trucks & trailers than I've ever seen at that ramp...  Thought I'd not have room to fish.  Ran up to the Lock & Dam and was the only boat in the water...  The rest of the folks had headed down stream lookin' fer Rockfish.

Anchored in a likely lookin' spot and didn't take long to find out that the rumors were fact.
16" American Shad.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Caught a couple and missed a few when something that doesn't happen very often 'roun here.
Somebody fishing wid a flypole that ain't fishin' with me (or vice versa).

Caught 6 or 8 more American Shad. the biggest was 21", also had about that many that slipped the hook.

Pulled the anchor and eased the boat up on the bank below the other flyflingers boat. After meetin' and swapping Shad flys found out we were thinkin' the same same thing about seein' someone else down here flyfishin'.   Turns out one is Ben who runs the fly shop in Augusta and his buddy (the one with the bent flypole) that he put on his first Shad. 

Ain't Life Grand!!!

croaker
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

badankles

nice.  i ran out to the local dam to try that one day from reading the previous post.  still got nothin, but did hooked into a couple of nice size crappies to save a skunking.
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...