News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Hilton Head Island

Started by Big J, July 15, 2013, 13:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

I'll be heading to Hilton Head Island for a week Aug 3-10.  Never have fished salt and will be bringing the 10 wt along.  Anyone have any tips and info on the area they would be willing to share?  From what I understand, I should fish the surf during low tide and the marshes during high tide.  Probably will rent a kayak too.  Thanks in advance.

The Dude

Take my info with a grain of salt as I'm no expert, but from my time down there I'd stick with the saltmarshes and oyster rakes and skip the surf.  If anybody tells you to go to Southern Drawl Outfitters for info, don't waste your time - those dudes are (or were 2 years ago) bigtime douchebags.  A bunch of people try to fish the culvert near shelter cove during the outgoing tide, and you can find some success there, but you have to be right up next to the culvert and you could find yourself fighting for position with others, plus it isn't consistent action.  Again, I'd find a put-in on the Bluffton side right next to the island and fish the marshes around Pinckney Island.  Fish the marshes on the outgoing tides and concentrate on where the ditches empty into the channels.  You'll see bait everywhere, and most of it will be mullet, so don't waste your time casting to them.  Keep an eye where the oyster rakes are at low tide and fish over them as the tide comes back in and covers them up.

Also, if you are willing to do some exploring and have time, check out the marshes around the Broad River bridge on the Bluffton side (Hwy 170).  There is a large put in there.  Head upstream and keep to the left and explore that area (Hazzard Creek).  There are a bunch of marshes and islands there that can keep you busy and there are definitely some reds and trout to be had in there.  If you go alone, BRING A GPS!  I can't overstate how easy it is to get turned around in those marshes and how difficult it can be to find you way back out.  Also, some creeks that are easy to paddle at high tide, become 1-inch deep trickles at low tide, keep that in mind - the tides can run about 4-6 feet down there.   Should you have to get out of your kayak in the marshes, the pluff mud is a nightmare to try to walk around in and the oysters will cut up your feet if you don't have shoes on.  Also, bring bug spray.

Again, I'm not claiming to be much of a resource or guru for that area, but I was just trying to pass on what little bit I could.  If you get info from a more credible source, go with that.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Big J

What you say Dude seems to back up what I've read on the internet and what the guys who pm'd me said too.  Thanks for the info everyone.

sheepfly

Walk in the short grass when wading the marshes and you'll be fine.   No grass with water gets way too soft.

Big J

Quote from: steelrain202 on July 15, 2013, 20:01:36 PM
10wt? 10 wt is all I have a sinking line for.
you going after Tarpon? Hopefully yes.  Baby tarpon.

sanjuanwormhatch

There's a pretty cool fly shop in Beaufort. 
Look on google earth for flats.  Fish them at flood tide.
Short grass = hard mud (good).  Long grass = soft mud (bad).
Surf fishing (with a fly rod), round here, ehhhh.  I'm curious if you have any luck.  I guess I've never been persistent enough.

Big J

I'll have to remember to stay in the short grass.  Thanks for that tidbit.

SJWH,  I'm not a "just sit still on the beach" kind of guy, so when I'm out with the inlaws on the beach I'm sure I'll be chuckin flies just for the heck of it. 

The Dude

You can't do it in a kayak, but if you anchor up just on the downstream side of the Hwy 170 bridge in the deepest part of the Broad River channel on the incoming tide, and fish fresh mullet deep, you can catch some a lot of tarpon (including some HUGE ones), as well as sharks and other fish.  However, you need someone with a boat and that knows how to operate it or you can get busted up on the bridge pilings pretty quick - the water RIPS through there.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

The Dude

I almost forgot.  The single best way to help catch fish down there is to make sure you slap a "Salt Life" sticker on your car.  Guaranteed.

Big J

Quote from: The Dude on July 16, 2013, 11:46:45 AM
I almost forgot.  The single best way to help catch fish down there is to make sure you slap a "Salt Life" sticker on your car.  Guaranteed.

I heard you catch the douchebag disease if you have "Salt Life" sticker. 

From the web:

Salt Life Stickers – "I enjoy the beach, and am most likely a huge douchebag."

From Urban Dictionary:

Salt Life   
Originally a sticker on the back of cars used to denote a surfer, bodyboarder, or general beach bum whose life centered around the ocean or related beach going activities. Ever seen a 32 year old man whose primary activity was surfing and working on his tan? That person would have a salt life sticker.

Unfortunately the trend spread to senior citizens, wanna be hipsters, soccer moms, and other persons wishing to inform the world that yes, they too have visited the beach at some point in life and they have the sticker to prove it.
Dude: "Check out this wicked Salt Life sticker I just got for the back of my car!"

Me: "That's really lame dude. My Grandma has one of those on the back of her wheelchair and aren't you afraid of the ocean ever since you got raped by that dolphin?"

Dude: "I don't want to talk about it."

benben reincarnated

I saw a "fresh life" sticker recently. Douchebags have moved inland.

Transylwader

BigJ, don't trout set!
Saltlife is a fucking moronic empire of twats who reckon they are hardened watermen. Eff that. I have been to Hawaii three times and have always come home with more respect for the giant waves, hectic locals and their aloha lifestyle than the prior trip. Was in Rodanthe this past weekend with Stormin Mormon. Surfed S-Turns on a hectic longshore drift rip. Was funny seeing the very fucksticks with saltlife stickers getting flushed down the beach while I was getting barreled off my nut. Amateurs dude...

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Transylwader on July 17, 2013, 09:56:11 AM
BigJ, don't trout set!
Saltlife is a fucking moronic empire of twats who reckon they are hardened watermen. Eff that. I have been to Hawaii three times and have always come home with more respect for the giant waves, hectic locals and their aloha lifestyle than the prior trip. Was in Rodanthe this past weekend with Stormin Mormon. Surfed S-Turns on a hectic longshore drift rip. Was funny seeing the very fucksticks with saltlife stickers getting flushed down the beach while I was getting barreled off my nut. Amateurs dude...

South African Life...?

Transylwader

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

tomato can

Lordy Tranny that is a HUGE drop.