Updated Catawba River info 3-4-11

Started by walt, March 19, 2008, 07:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perchjerker

I would have to go back and look at the stakeholder agreement, but there was supposed to be an improved warning system (additional horns) installed by the time the minimum flow was established.  A lot of the concessions were on one, two, and three year horizons, so I don't remember when each item starts. 

I know it was discussed so that if you were in the river from the dam to take out in Morgantion, you should hear be able to hear a horn.  I, too, sat through 5 years of hydro relicensing meetings, but just don't remember all of the details.   

Maybe Bo or Squeak can chime in and refresh my memory.  In any case, looking forward to seeing this fishery take off.  It has the potential to be one of the best tailwaters in the Southeast provided that Duke can maintain the minimum flows.   Another drought and low water situation like we had a few years ago will screw the pooch, but at least we will be able to re-create a fishery again if that happens.   The low water protocol allows Duke to decrease flows to maintain inventory.

Leedawg

Note. Muddy Creek to the Dam is Hatchery Supported water!!!!!! CLOSED during March!!!!!! The game warden WILL write you ticket.
With this rain, Muddy Creek will show it's true colors and and live up to it's name. The river will be blown out in the Special Reg section for a good week or two. Don't waste the gas. My 2 pennies worth.

browntrouter

the flow is going again. hope they put back some of the half wild browns.and not just the put and take fish.

Get Bent

Was up in the lower Catawba today, I thought the water was colder than usual. That explains it! The dam is not suppose to be operational until this fall, so I doubt they will be putting any fish in until its complete. We shall see!!!

Konichiwa Bitches!

browntrouter

anybody fishin or floating the catawba?

Get Bent

Just the lower for carp.... Waiting on the dam to be operational before I waste my time! Its cold thats all I can say....
Konichiwa Bitches!

patrickm1587

I floated it with a friend of mine today. We put in about a mile below the dam and floated probably 5 miles. We were after brown trout, but ended up only catching one nice striper. Do you guys think that them not generating for a while killed off a lot of the trout? And they are generating now.
"I'm your huckleberry"

browntrouter

[Do you guys think that them not generating for a while killed off a lot of the trout?]  yes,maybe a few made it. and hoping it didn't kill the bug life off. they can really make something out of it if they get the O2 up with the new pumps. i'll check it out this spring.

patrickm1587

Quote from: browntrouter on August 06, 2011, 22:27:37 PM
[Do you guys think that them not generating for a while killed off a lot of the trout?]  yes,maybe a few made it. and hoping it didn't kill the bug life off. they can really make something out of it if they get the O2 up with the new pumps. i'll check it out this spring.

Yeah that could be a killer river if they would put in something to generate more oxygen, stocked it good, and kept a good eye on it and kept the poachers out. We could have a South Holston in our back yard! Is there a put in ramp up close to the power house? I want to take my drift boat down through there, but the only place I have to put in is at a friends house that has some land right on the river. And I don't know if the take out ramp there at Watermill goes down far enough to get the boat out. If they would extend it just a little bit it would work fine.
"I'm your huckleberry"

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: patrickm1587 on August 07, 2011, 12:49:28 PM
Quote from: browntrouter on August 06, 2011, 22:27:37 PM

Yeah that could be a killer river if they would put in something to generate more oxygen, stocked it good, and kept a good eye on it and kept the poachers out. We could have a South Holston in our back yard! Is there a put in ramp up close to the power house? I want to take my drift boat down through there, but the only place I have to put in is at a friends house that has some land right on the river. And I don't know if the take out ramp there at Watermill goes down far enough to get the boat out. If they would extend it just a little bit it would work fine.

try this map http://www.catawbariverkeeper.org/about-the-catawba/maps-of-the-basin/Upper%20Catawba%20River%20Trail%20map%20and%20brochure_front.pdf
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mstash

You can put a drift boat in below the  bridge below the dam
Hope this helps.

Get on I-40 west

Get off at Exit 100 Jamestown RD

Get back on entrance ramp headed west BUT turn off to the rt. on Reep Rd

Go to the end where it meets HWY 70 (T intersection)

Turn left onto Hwy 70

Go about 2 miles to the first Light

Turn Rt. Over bridge (Rail Road Tracks)

Go to 4 way stop

Go through 4 way stop

Until you get to the river. Before Bridge turn rt into parking lot

This is Watermill landing where you will take out Leave your other car here. Built by TRTU (But bring you keys with you)

Or you can put in here and go to Judges Riverside on the Greenway. Not as long of a trip as the top section. About 3hrs

OK To get to the put in

Go back to the 4way stop and turn Rt.

In about a mile there will be a y intersection stay left down the hill.

Stay on this Rd Powerhouse Rd.

You will go over the river and that bridge is Rolling on the River Bridge . Use to be an old Honky Tonk here.

Keep going to the next Bridge. This is Bridgewater

Turn left into the parking lot and the dirt road ramp is at the end on the left

This trip just floating. About 5-8 hour depending how much time you want to kill. And the generation

Tips 

If generating when you put in

The first mile can be rough

Make sure you tie your shit down in the boat

If generating when you get to the first island you can go rt

If no generation at the first island go left

1 mile down from the put in you'll hit Muddy Creek coming in from the rt.

The river gets a lot wider and easer to float

If there is no generation while your floating

Bring water and sunscreen

There is some dead water down river that you will have to paddle to get through

Because it never fails the wind blows up river.

If the wind blows down river you can bet the farm there is a storm brewing up at the lake or the gorge

Enjoy and be Safe

walt

Here's a Catawba River Page with the latest news at our WCO blog page. Now it looks like January. Good fishin'

http://wilsoncreekoutfitters.com/blog/?page_id=770

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

browntrouter

this came off the ncwrc site a few years ago the trout they stocked then were [half- wild] trout. they reproduced.the ones they stocked this year dont.
What: Catawba River Fingerling Brown Trout Stocking Research Project
When:
Project began in May 2000 and was completed in December 2003.
Where:
The Catawba River between Lake James and Morganton, Burke County, N.C.
How:
The N. C. Wildlife Resources Commission began stocking 25,000 brown trout fingerlings
annually into the Catawba River tailwater in 1996. In May 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003, the fingerlings
were tagged and stocked in the upper 12 miles of the tailwater. These fish were recaptured at 23 sites
along the tailwater in September 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003. Overall, between 75 and 88 percent of
the young trout re-captured in this study were tagged fish. Young brown trout collected without tags
indicated natural reproduction had occurred. The tagged fish grew between 0.50-0.75 inches per month
during the study period. In addition, tagged brown trout were recaptured as adults in 2001-2003. The
adults grew slightly slower (0.25-0.50 inches per month) than the young trout. However, growth rates
were still very high for a wild trout population in North Carolina. Preliminary results indicate the
fingerling-stocking program is succeeding in establishing a quality population of brown trout in the
Catawba River tailwater.
Why:
This research is providing critical information that will be used to establish stocking rates and
size and creel limits tailored to this population of fast-growing trout. Anglers will benefit by having the
opportunity to fish for potentially large brown trout in a big river environment, a situation that is
relatively rare in Western North Carolina.

Mstash

The last 10,00 fish put in were held in the Hatchery due to the rebuilding of the power house and the no flow.
These fish have been stocked and are 8" long. Maybe they won't be food for the other fish.

Get Bent

Heres what they stocked...

Here is what is still in there....

Taped at 19 inches

Fished it on a 1500 cfs flow last Sunday....

She still has a long way to go! The fish had been in there for a month or so, so they are spread out and where they should be. Hopefully it only gets better.

Konichiwa Bitches!