News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Movie Thread.

Started by RiverbumCO, December 22, 2014, 19:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

The Revenant - I enjoyed this movie. Loved the wilderness throughout the movie. Montana, Canada, and Argentina were all parts of this flick. Not sure how closely this movie adheres to the actual truth, but it was entertaining.

Woolly Bugger

That bear attack was amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

Pretty good scene. Ol' boy had a pretty hard ride throughout the whole movie.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Best scene in the movie.

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Phil

Yeah, The Revenant was a cool movie. Wore me out watching it. It was very loosely based on facts, but the scenery, bear attack, time-period costumes, etc. were all amazing.
I read somewhere that Jim Bridger's descendants weren't happy about the way he was portrayed, but that part of the story was accurate. The young Bridger did leave Glass to die.

sanjuanwormhatch

I recently watched Manchester by the Sea and if you have kids, have brothers, have ever been married, have friends or have a pulse I'd say it will hit you hard in the gut. 

Yallerhammer

I really liked the Revenant, too. I have always been fascinated with the Hugh Glass story. When I found out they were making a movie about it, I was stoked. Then I found out that DiCaprio was playing Hugh Glass and I was pissed, because I hate DiCaprio. I will have to admit that he did a good job, though. I was pleasantly surprised.

As for historical accuracy, the original ordeal that Glass went through was probably even worse than the movie made it out. He had a badly broken leg at first, too. He did not have a son with him in real life. And he did not kill Fitzgerald, because he had enlisted in the Army by the time Glass caught up with him and his commanding officer threatened to hang Glass if he went after him.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dee-Vo

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on March 09, 2017, 10:27:45 AM
I recently watched Manchester by the Sea and if you have kids, have brothers, have ever been married, have friends or have a pulse I'd say it will hit you hard in the gut.

Will check into this.

Quote from: Yallerhammer on March 09, 2017, 10:33:39 AM
I really liked the Revenant, too. I have always been fascinated with the Hugh Glass story. When I found out they were making a movie about it, I was stoked. Then I found out that DiCaprio was playing Hugh Glass and I was pissed, because I hate DiCaprio. I will have to admit that he did a good job, though. I was pleasantly surprised.

As for historical accuracy, the original ordeal that Glass went through was probably even worse than the movie made it out. He had a badly broken leg at first, too. He did not have a son with him in real life. And he did not kill Fitzgerald, because he had enlisted in the Army by the time Glass caught up with him and his commanding officer threatened to hang Glass if he went after him.

Any certain publication you'd suggest reading concerning Mr. Glass?

sanjuanwormhatch

It is sad.  You have been warned.

RiverbumCO

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on March 09, 2017, 13:41:26 PM
It is sad.  You have been warned.

I enjoyed though. Really was rooting for him to fuck his ex again.  She got hotter at the end of it.

Edit: not as sad as "The Fault in Our Stars," if you need a metric.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

NCsporksman

Is this how low you have to go to get laid now that you're married...really bummin me out guy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Onslow

At my age, sex is a chore, fishing is a snore, and food is generally insipid.  Hope that cheers you up. 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on March 10, 2017, 21:29:40 PM
At my age, sex is a chore, fishing is a snore, and food is generally insipid.  Hope that cheers you up.

#useitorloseit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

NCsporksman

Sex is a chore, finish first and make some aiggs, ain't tryin to please no woman

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Al

Quote from: Dee-Vo on March 09, 2017, 10:43:40 AM

Quote from: Yallerhammer on March 09, 2017, 10:33:39 AM

Any certain publication you'd suggest reading concerning Mr. Glass?

I didn't like the Revenant - it took a lot of liberties with what has been passed on in tales and written record.

There are a lot of good Hugh Glass written stories - some wind themselves into novels,  others claim to stick to the record.  Some I've read and still have on my bookshelf are:

Give Your Heart To The Hawks- A Tribute to the Mountain Men - Winfred Blevins - Brilliantine Books
This Reckless Breed of Men - Robert Glass Cleland - Knopf / Borzoi Books
Tales of The Mountain Men - Edited by Lamar Underwood - Lyons Press
The lives of Mountain Men  - Bill Harris  - Lyons Press
The Mountain Men - George Lycock - Lyons Press

Probably the best movie that uses the Hugh Glass story as an anchor is Man in the Wilderness (1971)