News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Take A Hike

Started by Dee-Vo, August 03, 2023, 12:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

Quote from: greg on August 06, 2023, 07:05:02 AMOne hike that will always stand out in my memory  was in may of 22. Hazel creek has always been a special place to me. It is well known and can get crowded but if you are willing to put in the miles you get way up from lake and into the speck waters. When I found out my first grandchild was on the way I told my wife they would be baptized with water from hazel creek. When the time came my plan was to go over from Fontana marina and spend a few days camping and fishing. Wanted water to come from above where proctor creek comes into hazel. Things came up and there wasn't time. Plans changed and I only had one day. I took a Thursday off work and drove to clingmans dome. Hiked up  and hit AT. Went to Welch ridge and dropped to hazel creek trail. From there the decent began. Went down about 2 miles or so to the first cascade and got my quart of water. Began the climb out. According to GPS 19.2 miles and 4200 feet of elevation gain and lost. It made for a long hike. Fast forward and his Baby brother is being baptized two weeks from today. Next weekend my son and I are headed over for the weekend to get another quart of hazel creek water.

Very cool idea. I like it.

On many occasions I've read about those creeks and halfway planned/entertained the idea of getting up in there and fishing/camping. It hasn't happened yet.

Maybe one day. 😎

Dee-Vo

I went here today for a 3 mile walk. Recreational area with a few ball fields. Paved walking trail.

http://www.patrickchamber.com/profile.cfm?ID=587

Dee-Vo

Hiked this trail today. Had to drive through Camp Hanes YMCA. I'd never heard of this and was thinking I was somewhere I wasn't supposed to be at first (big surprise there). I'm still unsure if I was okay to be there or not.

The trail was rocky and eventually got to a point where it was so overgrown that I had to turn back. Kudzu was everywhere.

This trail is supposedly used to gain access to rock climbing areas of the Sauratwown Mountains. By the looks of the trail, it's not used often nowadays.

Sauratown Climbing Access Trail on AllTrails
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/north-carolina/sauratown-climbing-access-trail?p=-1&sh=r5gpvd

You cannot view this attachment.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.  You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.               

Dee-Vo

Me and the fam hit the race track up last night. Redneckmania. Bowman Gray Stadium.

Dee-Vo

Pinnacles of Dan Trail on AllTrails
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/virginia/pinnacles-of-dan-trail?sh=r5gpvd

This hike has been on my mind as well. I also did this one earlier today. 

Lots of you have been to the Dan River near the powerhouse. This trail goes up to the pinnacles of the Dan.

I was surprised to see that they'd paved much of Kibler Valley Road. I liked it better the gravel way, dammit!

This is one steep, slickass trail. Hiking wouldn't really be the term, however. I'd think scramble, slide, and scratch would be more accurate.

Once up top, I went the wrong way a good ways and then corrected myself and went out toward the rocky area. Here, you'll sort of grab rocks and slide around on the rocks. I went a little ways up there and turned back as I was alone, and that is a hell of a remote spot to be in.

This is no normal hike in a park environment. I lost the trail a few times and sort of worried for a while.

I even texted Ken to let him know where I was just in case something happened and I didn't make it back out.

I earned that one.

Also, I picked up some huge leaves.

From the bottom, I gained 1240' in elevation in a mile or so of trail.

Hell yea.

I met an older couple about to attempt the ascent when I had gotten back down to the power line area. Good luck to them.

I slipped up and down and busted my ass more times than I can remember today. One good time on a huge rock about the size of a car hood.

When I had finished up and was stretching at the truck, I found a tick that had bitten me on the shin.

Grand!

A strong sounding raptor/bird kept screeching up above me on the mountain for a while but the river was loud enough that my identification app could never pick it up.

I'm tired. Hell of a workout.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Woolly Bugger

Better you than me! I looked at that 25 years ago and said, "Hell no!" The pinnacles were part of the original AT, but it was decided that it was too difficult, and the trail was rerouted.

The original route of the Appalachian Trail in Virginia crossed the Pinnacles of Dan, a route described by hikers at the time as second only to Mt. Katahdin for its difficulty and beauty. In 1952, the ATC moved the route of the Trail more than 50 miles north and west, abandoning this region of Southern Virginia and removing the Pinnacles from the Trail's route forever.

https://appalachiantrailhistory.org/items/show/731

https://unbuiltparkway.web.unc.edu/unbuilt-projects/pinnacles-of-dan/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 13, 2023, 20:03:12 PMBetter you than me! I looked at that 25 years ago and said, "Hell no!" The pinnacles were part of the original AT, but it was decided that it was too difficult, and the trail was rerouted.

The original route of the Appalachian Trail in Virginia crossed the Pinnacles of Dan, a route described by hikers at the time as second only to Mt. Katahdin for its difficulty and beauty. In 1952, the ATC moved the route of the Trail more than 50 miles north and west, abandoning this region of Southern Virginia and removing the Pinnacles from the Trail's route forever.

https://appalachiantrailhistory.org/items/show/731

https://unbuiltparkway.web.unc.edu/unbuilt-projects/pinnacles-of-dan/

Awesome. Thanks for that.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 13, 2023, 21:55:45 PMBrian Williams was up there back in June.

Yes, I seen that earlier. That dude gets around.

Dee-Vo

I can't get that Pinnacle area off of my mind. And now I'm aggravated with myself for not going on out further on the rocks area for the prized view. I was just sketched because of the impending storm (it was getting darker and breezy) and I was alone and lost the trail a time or three. Little bit of anxiety was building.

Next time! I'm going back!

Onslow

I was quite impressed with the view from Hanging Rock SP observation tower on the ultra clear day I went.  Mt. Rogers, Peaks of Otter, and various other prominent peaks could be seen. Being able to see the Peaks of Otter was a shocker.

Regarding the Pinnacle gorge, if the water was not diverted as it is now, one would see flows about 20+ % more than the flow at the Smith @ Woolwine gage, or something similar to Chestnut Creek @ Galax. Meadows of Dan/Rocky Knob area is among the wettest areas in the state.  Spring flows would be between 60-100 cfs and Summer flows would be between 30-60 cfs in the Pinnacle gorge. That is much more than the 12-18 cfs commonly experienced with the current diversion. Definitely would make the fishing more dangerous, particularly area around Great Falls. It is really tight just above the Great falls, and there are some tight areas between the Big Sieve (Pencil Sharpener) and the Heart of Darkness Ledges.

I bet Buffalo Mt. offers some great views.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Onslow on August 14, 2023, 19:59:40 PMI was quite impressed with the view from Hanging Rock SP observation tower on the ultra clear day I went.  Mt. Rogers, Peaks of Otter, and various other prominent peaks could be seen. Being able to see the Peaks of Otter was a shocker.

Regarding the Pinnacle gorge, if the water was not diverted as it is now, one would see flows about 20+ % more than the flow at the Smith @ Woolwine gage, or something similar to Chestnut Creek @ Galax. Meadows of Dan/Rocky Knob area is among the wettest areas in the state.  Spring flows would be between 60-100 cfs and Summer flows would be between 30-60 cfs in the Pinnacle gorge. That is much more than the 12-18 cfs commonly experienced with the current diversion. Definitely would make the fishing more dangerous, particularly area around Great Falls. It is really tight just above the Great falls, and there are some tight areas between the Big Sieve (Pencil Sharpener) and the Heart of Darkness Ledges.

I bet Buffalo Mt. offers some great views.

That observation tower is superb. I've told so many people to go up there. It's excellent and worth the hike.

It's crazy to think what the Dan would be without the man made additions. I love that area.

I'll eventually get to Buffalo Mtn. A friend of mine was there a while back with his children.

Dee-Vo

Got both of these done this weekend. Mayo River is pretty. I've always wanted to fish it. Salem Lake Trail is great. 7 mile loop. Lots of birds and waterfowl. We also saw a beaver, squirrels, and deer. Lots of firsts on my bird list at this place. Waterfowl are awesome, too.