As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

#24 -15 Gas $3.26

Wayne Kramer, MC5 Co-Founder and Activist, Dead at 75

Drove up in the afternoon and found 5 vehicles in the lot, turned around and went up to the damn dam.

Two guys were spinning their way up though the run, but didn't get up too far before quitting. They didn't catch any. I rigged up the euro and geared up. It was cloudy and spitting rain on and off with a bit of wind. It felt colder than what the thermometer read. I caught a stockerbow on the second cast, and hooked several more in short order, but they managed to wriggle off the barbless hook as I stripped in line the leader knot got caught in the guides and the slack allowed them to escape. This happened several time and I'm going to get rid of the "competition" leader and go full mono rig.

The wind started blowing fiercely and a squall started dumping some rain and the temperature dropped, I headed back to the car with three rainbows in the cooler. I wasn't ready to quit so I hit a popular spot on the way home and caught a couple of browns, released one that was close to the slot limit and culled the smaller one.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

#24 -16

I stopped at a lower boat ramp where I intended to catch some rainbows but there was some sketch activity going on and I kept on driving on up the road. There were several anglers on the river and I saw one trailer parked at another ramp. I didn't bother checking the MP lot instead choosing to drive directly up to the damn dam. Nobody parked in the lower lot but there were a lot of horse trailers in the next spot. I started gearing up, first rigging up the euro which I had fubared the other day and one of the reasons that I quit early. I was just tired of losing flies and rigging up the double nymphs A truck pulls in beside me and a family hops out three or four kid, (hard to count because they were running around crazy. The dad hollers out to me, "Hey Bossman, how are you doing?"  I get a kick out of that being the BRFFF Bossman and all.

I worked the runs and was not treated kindly, I didn't even feel a strike. I moved on to the lower "honey hole" and hooked but didn't land a 14" bow. It would probabley been too big for me to harvest anyway.

I had spent a couple of hours there and needed to find some fish, so I drove to the MP and was surprised to see it empty. I hiked on in and caught a handful of fish, some were just at the slot size, so they were released, but I took one nine incher. Moved on down and hooked a few more but it wasn't easy, and I was getting fed up with getting hung up in the diddymo covered bottom and I broke off a couple of times too. Time to tie up some more frenshies. 

Stopped at Sally's on the way out and caught another 10+ inch brown.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

#24 — 17

Quick run up to hit a few roadside spots with a mission to cull some stockers. Caught 5 browns that were over 10 by a tad and one under and I ran into some rainbows one was too big for the birds at about 14" but I whacked two that were 10 and 11 or so!

You cannot view this attachment.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

#24 — 18 Gas $3.26, overcast - rain late in the day

Mission to harvest some rainbows at some easy access points in town wasn't as productive as I had hoped, but I did manage to creel a few. Several wild browns were released.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

#24 -- 19 mid to upper 40s some sunshine

Leap day fishing.

There was just a smattering of bugs, but I was able to swing up a dozen or so on the Superfine Glass 2 wt after getting a handful on the euro. All were smallish with a couple that appeared to be just over 10. I forgot my fleece pants and realized how much of a difference they make.

I feel like I'm getting back on track with fishing days.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

#24 - 20 - a cold rain fell

With rain in the forecast, I knew the river would be blown out over the weekend and I planned to deliver a load of trouts to the raptor center. I decided to go and catch one more limit. It started to rain as soon as I got into the swing of things, not too hard, but enough to don the reconditioned raincoat. It wetted out after a while, but that didn't bother me as I was layered up.

I just swung up a couple dozen smallish trout, the largest being just over 10 inches (streamside measurements  V:; ) and I culled 5 that were in the 8 - 9 inch range. 

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

#24 - 22 65 mostly sunny

The river is still up just a bit, I hit a spot in town looking for rainbows, I found one, I deemed it too large for raptor food. Mama duck kept an eye on me as I walked by.

I hit a few other spots and couldn't find a fish. I stopped in at a new to me spot and looked around. Water was moving too fast for my taste, and I found no fish.

Stopped to look at another spot and Steve from Thomasville pulled in behind me and we got to talking and in all honesty that was the highlight of the day. We swapped some flis and fishing tails before departing to hit one last spot where I found no fish.

Work is being done on the damn dam

me -There's a season?

creakycane

Lower river stocked this week, so Saw about 10 or 12 guys fishing the pools at the higher water levels Thurs/Fri.   If you pick your spots, there is fishable water all over, but it is amazing how 3 or 4 inches higher water changes the wading game.  A couple of small stoneflies, and a couple of small browns.  Had a very nice brown on a big nymph second cast of the day, but he threw the hook at my feet.   Nothing even close after that.  Had enough by 1 pm and left.   Not good to be tired/wading sloppy the way it is......  Probably will wait till sub 400cfs to go out again.....   BTW, 2 boats in town.   

Woolly Bugger

I'll be after those stickers for the birds when the river drops!
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: creakycane on March 09, 2024, 10:03:09 AMIf you pick your spots, there is fishable water all over, but it is amazing how 3 or 4 inches higher water changes the wading game. 

I fished or should I say I tried to fish a run today. It wasn't any fun and I didn't catch anything, but only gave it a half hearted effort. Maybe this crow was an omen.

Drove up to the damn dam, ran into an fly fisherman who was taking a break, he had nymphed up a few. We talked for a while, then I went up the road to look at the work being done on the hillside.

It appears that these workers are making a rock barrier fence, but what do I know.

The hillside has been partially terraced

Heavy equipment moved into positon.

Don't sell your raft yet.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

#24 25 72 blue skies

I just happened to check the river gauges and saw that the flow had been cut to the new low normal, so I made a hasty exit and drove on up. I had the river to myself for a while, then got low holed at the trestle pool by a spin guy and his dog, while two trout bros came down into the tail of the left-hand pool.

But before that happened, I swung up a few trout and as I was fishing, I heard a crashing sound behind me and as I turned, I saw an osprey fly off clutching a trout in its talons. Pretty cool!

Bluebells are getting ready to pop, the trout lilies are at peak as are the bloodroot.

There was a mixed hatch during the day they brought fish to the surface.

Half-price beer for the win!

DSFK

Towards the end of the day there were tremendous swarms of small caddis  flies on the water.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

#24 — 26 a bit cooler with a few clouds,gas $3.18

Gotta fish when you can, even on a Sunday. I got to the lot just after noon and there was only one vehicle there. As I got ready the angler came out and I asked if he was done already. "It's too windy, I only fish dry flies and the wind is terrible. The weatherman said 10, but he was wrong! You've got the whole river to yourself now."

I left the euro in the car and headed out with just the 2 wt and some soft hackles.

The wind was brutal, with hold onto your hat gusts the rippled the water. There was no way to euro or tight line nymph let alone cast a dry. However, swinging the wet was the ticket.

Eight or nine were caught, which I thought was a decent number under the conditions. I found a jar of salmon eggs at the Trestle Pool Creek where the spin guy had been yesterday and added it to the "Trash Pile" behind the TP Bench. I need to remember to take a trash bag in to carry it out next time!

me -There's a season?

JCB3

Smith River / Road Clean Up

April 20th 9am-12..!!!

Meet at the Bassett Boat Access,
271 Trent Hill Dr.
(Off Route 57 E. In Bassett)