Warmwater Streams of the NC Piedmont

Started by Onslow, May 24, 2020, 19:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

I'm not a child of the hill country, and have spent many years fishing the streams of the NC Piedmont. Flat, Little, New Hope Creek, Rocky, Haw, Deep, Tar, Little Fishing Creek, Shocco Creek, Uwharrie, Barnes Creek, Grassy Creek, are among those I've spent time on.  There are many memories not being made that should be on streams across central NC. Some of these may provide thrills for those who find them on their work commutes.

A point will be made to feature a few streams a week.

Richardson Creek  https://goo.gl/maps/FPzpPYitLkEXbn2o6

Anything downstream of Lake Twiddy is fair game, but it appears the best water is near Rocky River confluence.  The stream has a drainage size of about 90 sq. miles at Lake Twiddy, and around 230 sq. miles at the confluence.  Just as a point of reference, the Eno at Cole Mill Rd is around 120 sq. miles.

The gradient is mild, but this stream is far from flat. It appears the streambed has much cobble, some small rocks, and gravel/sand, and not filled in with sediment. I cannot confirm what species inhabit this stream, but I suspect at a minimum, there are largemouth, crappie, and redbreast.  There is a chance smallmouth inhabit this stream since tribs of the Rocky were stocked with smallies years ago, and people are still catching them.

Based on what is shown on Gmaps, there is a high probability this stream is well above average in quality. That being said, it takes a few days for streams to clear up in this part of the world after rains.

Onslow

Lanes Creek https://goo.gl/maps/o4e72nYaPjwyTshM7

This creek is a smaller relative of Richardson Creek.  This stream drains 133 sq. miles at the Rocky River confluence making it comparable in size to the Eno at the Cole Mill/Guess Road area.  This stream is neither float or steep and rocky. It appears to be wader/or float tuber friendly, and a great place to harass largemouth with a topwater rig.  The time is now...whenever the water drops, and clears up.

Onslow

Jones Creek https://goo.gl/maps/7HXaGMe4z2qe3Sz1A

* Google maps has this creek labeled incorrectly*

Sometimes lesser Fall Lines show themselves in odd areas.  Those familiar with the Pee Dee know that the lower Piedmont-Coastal plain Fall Line zone runs from Blewitt Falls lake down to just above Cheraw.  Jones Creek loses gradient at the pin drop.  There is a short run of nice rocky areas with pools and such. The drainage here is a bit on the small side (75 sq. miles).  This is comparable to the Little River just above the lake in Durham County.

Onslow

Little Uwharrie Riverhttps://goo.gl/maps/ZX68EEHn6pFf4dQ3A

The area between Fuller Mill to the confluence of the Uwharrie looks appears to have some decent spots. There is a picturesque section of ledges down low. Species may be somewhat limited here.  It is unclear whether smallmouth stocked in the lower tribs made it up this far before Lake Reese was built.  Drainage size is 42 sq. miles.  Sometimes these small creeks have good pools, and a few surprises. This would be a great place to sneak out after work if one lives in the Triad.

Onslow

Fishing Creek https://goo.gl/maps/vs3jggjjUZoLfbgu5

Located between two bridges far away from bridge lurkers is the rocky section low gradient section.  I bet there are cypress trees among the rocks making this a very unique beat. The drainage size is ~600 sq. mile range meaning this is a full blown river. It is also prime Roanoke Bass habitat. This is on my bucket list, but it probably won't happen. Roanokes well over two pounds have been caught in Fishing Creek.

driver

I spend a lot of time looking at satellite imagery, I bet you got me beat though.

The Dude

About 18 years ago, I was on TDY at Fort Bragg supporting the 82nd Abn and Special Forces deployment to Afghanistan, staying in some old ass WWII barracks (PHA) with the troops as they staged before their airlift movements.  I had several buddies from college that lived in the Charlotte area.  I had a long weekend and thanks to some tomfoolery, I was able to stash my personal vehicle at a friend's apartment in Fayetteville and had some essentials in the trunk (including my light spinning gear).  So, I sneaked out and hopped in my car and headed for Charlotte.  After passing through Albemarle, I eventually crossed over Rocky River.  The water looked wadeable and reminded me of the little smallmouth streams that I used to fish growing up in norhtern Virginia.  I pulled the car over at the bridge where the highway crossed the river and made my way downstream through the woods, hopped in, and then fished my way back up the creek.  It really looked like it would be teeming with small bass and bream, but alas, I didn't get a single bite.  I figured maybe the landfill upgradient had poisoned the water or something.  I never went back.  Maybe I should have.  Oh well.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Onslow

Quote from: The Dude on May 27, 2020, 11:45:42 AMAbout 18 years ago, I was on TDY at Fort Bragg supporting the 82nd Abn and Special Forces deployment to Afghanistan, staying in some old ass WWII barracks (PHA) with the troops as they staged before their airlift movements.  I had several buddies from college that lived in the Charlotte area.  I had a long weekend and thanks to some tomfoolery, I was able to stash my personal vehicle at a friend's apartment in Fayetteville and had some essentials in the trunk (including my light spinning gear).  So, I sneaked out and hopped in my car and headed for Charlotte.  After passing through Albemarle, I eventually crossed over Rocky River.  The water looked wadeable and reminded me of the little smallmouth streams that I used to fish growing up in norhtern Virginia.  I pulled the car over at the bridge where the highway crossed the river and made my way downstream through the woods, hopped in, and then fished my way back up the creek.  It really looked like it would be teeming with small bass and bream, but alas, I didn't get a single bite.  I figured maybe the landfill upgradient had poisoned the water or something.  I never went back.  Maybe I should have.  Oh well.

That stinks. I know people have done well there, but my buddy Fish Whisperer went there some years ago and complained about the skinny water above Long Creek. He wasn't terribly impressed, but any river that has smallmouth can be disappointing.

Onslow

Rocky River (Cape Fear)

https://goo.gl/maps/uVHuiJD8yDpaS5bx9

The section of river below the bridge is posted for a bit, and is popular with local whitewater folk when the water is running about 300-600 cfs. Lets not focus on that, but what is upstream.  This section seems to have sufficient depth, but with rock bottom, and low gradient. This is prime chain pickeral water.  Although I have only spent one hour on this section and did not catch a bass, I suspect the fishing here is good. What appeals to me about this section is one can paddle up, and up, and up, with minimal dragging. There is much remote water above the bridge. The stream bed is also rather larger for the watershed size (~85 sq. miles).

Onslow

Big Mountain Creek https://goo.gl/maps/wzzuh6MHekCT9DnA7

This stream is rather lowlandish near the confluence of the Pee Dee, but appears to be wadeable near the pin drop, and upstream to the confluence of Little Mountain Creek.  This stream is smallish, but not tiny. 65-80 sq. mile watershed. NCWRC stocked Roanoke bass in here some years ago, and now they are established. BMC appears to be a hybrid rocky/blackwater stream. Not sure if this one is worth a crap.  However, it is remote as hell.

The Dude

Quote from: Onslow on May 27, 2020, 17:54:27 PMThat stinks. I know people have done well there, but my buddy Fish Whisperer went there some years ago and complained about the skinny water above Long Creek. He wasn't terribly impressed, but any river that has smallmouth can be disappointing.

Yeah, I'm trying to remember where I accessed it.  I had friends in south charlotte that I visited at some point which would have had me crossing/accessing on NC27, and I had friends in Concord that I visited at some point, which would have had me crossing/accessing at NC49.  I think it was NC49 that I fished as it was not a big flow through there.  But most of those trips were blurred by large amounts of alchohol consumption, so the memories in my head are littered with blackouts.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Onslow

I really enjoyed this video of the Rocky River in Stanley County.  The Rocky starts off being a flat shit stream, but breaks into the Fall Line zone.  This part II vid covers the whole Fall Line area.

This river grows in size considerably during the course of the trip.  At Rt 742, the drainage size is 755 sq. miles.  And 1413 sq. miles at the confluence of the Pee Dee. If one pays attention, they can follow the progress since the road names and numbers appear in the video.

This is a large river.  It holds all the usual warm water species minus Roanokes, but Smallmouth were stocked in the tribs years ago, and there are still smallies being caught in the Rocky basin...not that anyone really cares.

Onslow

Sandy River, VA

https://goo.gl/maps/BnZW2E7m2te1xus8A

This stream drains about 90 square miles at the pin drop located in a rocky gorge area. It is the size of the Eno at Fews Ford. I happened to cross the bridge at Stoney Mill Rd. this past week, and was impressed by what I saw.  Not many streams are this pretty in this part of the world. I suspect this stream has a mix of native Roanokes, largemouth, and smallmouth.