News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Well I asked the question and here is the answer ................

PHILPOTT:   Due to a mudslide event at Philpott last Sunday evening and debris inside the power plant  there will be no generation from either hydropower units for the foreseeable future. Sluicing will be used  to maintain Philpott operations.

Woolly Bugger

:o oh crap! Hope that the temps don't rise too high before they get it fixed! The Smith can't catch a break
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

The water temp is already in the mid 50's

Dougfish

Up 7 degrees in 5.5 days. Flow dropped some today and temp is coming back down. Hope that is a trend.  b';
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

dougfish called, I answered. Maiden voyage of the SS Beasts under power.  d:b

I arrived an hour early, Dougfish on the dot of 8:30! Lake was still up a couple of feet!

Quickish transfer of rods and beers and launch. The 2.5hp Yamaha roared to life and we cruised across the lake to explore the racket of cicada. As we entered a cove, Dougfish cut the engine and coasted to a stop. There we saw some bugs flying low in the trees and a few landed in the water where bluegills nipped at there legs and eventually consumed the bug piece by piece. No carp to be seen. We were going to motor on down the lake and Dougfish tried to start the Yamaha to no avail. The harder he pulled the more the aroma of petrol filled the air. Perhaps it was flooded, perhaps worse. Being a good passenger, I asked the Captain to pass me a beer, it was well before ten am. He rowed the beast around and I drank more beer.

He rowed us down towards where the guides had gone, and I saw two cruising carps, had a shot at one but cast into a tree as the fish moved behind us and down into the depths of the lake.

I did manage to catch a bluegill on a cicada with a #4 salmon hook on the 10 weight.

But that's not why am posting this report.

After we got back to the ramp around noon. I decided to take a look at the Philpott dam to see what was going on at the switch house as far as repairs were concerned. They are sluicing 1600+ CFS of pure mud and the river is a milk chocolate mess right now. I drove up the River Brook Road (rt 772) and ran into VA DOT crews repairing the roadway as there were several washed out culverts and small landslides.

I came to the end of the road and was greeted with a closed gate and posted signs.

I hope that the repairs don't take too long and that the fish survive this mess.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

me -There's a season?

troutrus

Nice sunny. 👍🏻
I don't target carps up there, but if I was going to, I would check out the grass flats along south end of Turkey Island.

Woolly Bugger

the muddy smith...

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Anybody got intel on repairs at the damn dam?
me -There's a season?

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 09, 2020, 22:32:03 PMAnybody got intel on repairs at the damn dam?

The park ranger I saw monday said they are still getting mud out of the house. He thinks late fall/early winter.

troutrus

Went up that way this morning. Figured the Army Corps office would be open, but no luck. Paved road to the dam was closed. All the walking trails were closed. Couldn't get up the gravel road on river left as VA DOT was doing grading and graveling.
Drove down to #1 ramp at the lake. Can't believe how many boat trailers were there on a week day. Doesn't anybody work anymore? Drove back up to the overlook park. Still quite a few big bugs making noise up there and flying about. Lots of evidence of the grand emergence. Bet the carp are gourging themselves out on the lake. 😁
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

creakycane

The flow is equivalent to a generator now.... is it still very muddy (like the pic above) , or just dicolored, as in a typical 1 gen release?  Many thanks!!!

streamereater_101691

Quote from: creakycane on June 10, 2020, 14:07:41 PMThe flow is equivalent to a generator now.... is it still very muddy (like the pic above) , or just dicolored, as in a typical 1 gen release?  Many thanks!!!

I wouldn't call it muddy. It's pretty stained though. All that rain still has the lake stirred and the dissolved solids are still settling in the lake. That's what you're seeing coming down the river right now, very similar to fall turnover when the lake "flips" over. It's getting cleaner by the day though and should be back to normal in a couple weeks. It's fishable though and they are being caught.

creakycane

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 10, 2020, 14:26:08 PM
Quote from: creakycane on June 10, 2020, 14:07:41 PMThe flow is equivalent to a generator now.... is it still very muddy (like the pic above) , or just dicolored, as in a typical 1 gen release?  Many thanks!!!

I wouldn't call it muddy. It's pretty stained though. All that rain still has the lake stirred and the dissolved solids are still settling in the lake. That's what you're seeing coming down the river right now, very similar to fall turnover when the lake "flips" over. It's getting cleaner by the day though and should be back to normal in a couple weeks. It's fishable though and they are being caught.

Sounds like things are looking up (somewhat). Appreciate the update!  Glad some folks are getting out.....

troutrus