News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Second Creek W.V.

Started by Fire-Fly, September 04, 2007, 18:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

I went up to W.V. for tyhe weekend with the family and was able to fish for about 6 hours on sun. My wifes family has a has up near the Greenbier river. I had seen on the map Second creek which i learned was a mile and a half of c&r fly fishing only.
       I started the day at light and on the second cast caught a rainbow about 14 inches. Fished for a while with a stimulator w/ a dropper.Had alot of strikes until i hooked up on my largest brown to date it was 20 inches,pic below. I had my scott 4 wt., this fish put up a mean fight about 15 min fight. Anyway i ended up catching 8 fish total the smallest was about 12 inches and the rest in the 14 inch range. However because of the low water level i was able to see a number of fish and saw several browns that were 30 inch plus and probably would have wieghed 7-10 lbs. And spotted alot of 20 inch fish. Actually had one of the large 30 incher come up and took a hopper pattern, but i think my nerves gotme and i tried to set the hook to quick, yes i sobbed like a baby for a while. Anyway this is a beautiful stream and w/ the new, greenbier, cranberry, and elk all within one hour from this stream, this is an excellent flyfishing haven.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diamonddave7676

Wow 30" plus!!!???  When you going next?  Mind if I tag along?   ;D

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

supaflyGSR

peter p

Time to pack the car for a road trip
Peter

22midge

did you fish near the swinging bridge ;) ::)
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

natureboy

Fire-Fly

Quote from: 22midge on September 04, 2007, 19:44:33 PM
did you fish near the swinging bridge ;) ::)
I was about 75 yards down stream from the swinging bridge when i caught the fish in the pic, Have you fished this stream before?

Beetle

Wow....this is good stuff.  I am going up there next week for something I had planned months ago.  Nice timing :o :D

Al

Just for information:

How far is this stream from Martinsville? Nearest town, good road, lots of curves, etc, etc?

Is this a public stream or do you need permission to access?

Fire-Fly

Al, this stream is between Union, and lewisbug W.V., for martinsville its about 2hrs 45 mins. It is public and anyone can fish it, it is fly fishing only,C&R. You take 311 most of the way up there and the roads are pretty curvy, i can give you exact directions if interested. But let me tell you i have got a report where i fished The Elk river, i will be posting it with pics soon. This is my favorite place i have ever fished, i'll go over more in my post.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Oldman

Road Trip? Camping? Overnighter or long weekend????

Beetle

I fished Second Creek on Friday with Craig from Serenity Now Outfitters in Lewisburg.  What a beautiful little stream it is!

We started at the crossover/underwater bridge and fished up to the newly reworked section.  We did pretty well on terrestrials- mostly beetle patterns.  (There were no hatches going on but Craig showed me their resident caddis flies (casings) and we found plenty of mayfly nymphs under rocks).  The water was very, very low and I was told to limit my wading.  These fish had slow, clear water and lots of time to study the fly.  Got lots of refusal rises. 

The trout seemed much more cooperative than the smallies.  We caught mostly browns- nothing of any real size but there are some monsters in there.  I hooked a small chub and had a 24" brown come follow it all the way to my boots.  The browns are getting ready to spawn and they are very lit up right now- they look like clowns they are so bright.

Later in the day we moved down to the swinging bridge area and the "Misery Hole".  It really slowed up in the afternoon and we spent a lot of time just watching the big fish ignore our offerings, listening to turkeys and avoiding river otter scat!

All in all, it was a good day and I enjoyed being out and seeing Second Creek.  I would definitely go back as it is obviously well maintained and managed.  There are some very big trout and smallmouth in the river.  They just need more rain.