Shitty Davidson River Reportage....

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 08, 2010, 08:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

slept in, got off to a late start, on the water by 11, dudes standing in my run, asshat jumping in the run, moved on, couldn't catch shit, 44 cfs - low flow, moved again to broken water, brought a few to net, more frustration in the slack waters, needed crowbar and pistol to fine a spot, never really keyed in on the fish, cold feet, I was beat, resigned

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

yummm, taste like????

the bastards started midging on these little fuckers... I got a few looks and fewer takes on my imitations.

Best part was having the dog along for the trip!

I like the river and it likes me better when there is a little more flow like 200 - 300 cfs... bring it on.....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diaz dassie

At least you 'n Sally got out. Since my trip to Coal Country and seeing the light (or smorghasbord of crap in the stream), I doubt snow or cold weather will hinder my decision to go put a hurting. I likes that second brown. A true gut lord guv'ner! -0-

5xTippett

Keith,  The Holy One had fished it all week.  The fish all had sore lips.  I fished it Wednesday afternoon and some Thursday.  I caught a few but nothing spectacular.   It was wall to wall with people both days.  The Holy One vacuumed the place Thursday, but I will let him tell you about it.

troutphisher

At least you found some water.
You did better than I..........
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

troutboy_II

Thanks for the report.  Hoping to hit it Thursday at dawn if I'm able to get one more thing done.  Been a long absence of getting out anywhere, so i would really like to make this work...  Your report, while not as exciting as some of your others as you admit, still reminded me how much that I love that river, particularly early in the morning and if I'm lucky, I'll get there this week.

thanks again for the report.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

MuddlerMan

I feel your pain.  Made a half-ass attempt to fish up there Sunday afternoon.  Should have stayed at the first place I was fishing.  All my favorite waters are low as shit and are really starting to piss me off  b';
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" - Grateful Dead

Trout Maharishi

Weather, low water, spooky fish, cold air temps, and what fish there are being pounded are making most trips there at this point less than memorable :( I'll make a little report when I catch my wind, I am worn out. Between the weather and trying to keep up with Beetle Ben and Caleb, it almost killed me ;D TB, your best bet is to stay home and fish your backyard waters, there is a skunk waiting for you over there unless it rains and the fish relocate. I did manage to have a good day Thursday, but it had rained off and on all night and the water got up a little, and was slightly off color. I probably caught almost as many fish Thursday as I did the whole week. :-\
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutboy_II

You may have a point oh venerable one, but weekday on the D. is not something I get to do much since I unretired.  Often see deer at that time of day and saw a big buck last year that was really cool.  Not been skunked there yet, but it could happen. 

Still, D at dawn - priceless, even if you don't rack up the numbers.  I am concerned that flow is so low that catching could be stressful on the "catched", but with low temps, I assume this is not as big a deal as in the summer.  Is that right, or am I missing something here?

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

snagaluffaguss

The water is cold enough not to hurt the fish.

Woolly,

I was the guy rigging up at the Subaru (the one with the beard) as you were leaving.  Muddler I was the guy that told you to step on in that I was fishing dry flies upstream and wouldn't be in that spot for very long. 

Fished for about 2 hours.  I had  pretty good luck, in fact caught quite a few fish...on what you say?

A fuggin size 10 orange stimulator.

Why a size 10 orange stimulator?  It could have been the fall caddis but probably just that it was big and weird and they hadn't seen one in while.

Fished from the bridge to humble hole without running into anyone.  Went and got a hamburger and checked out the show.

Trout Maharishi

Snuffy,
I was the one telling your buddy to close the car door so I didn't tear it off backing in :D I caught some fish to, but it wasn't easy ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on November 09, 2010, 20:32:25 PM
Snuffy,
I was the one telling your buddy to close the car door so I didn't tear it off backing in :D I caught some fish to, but it wasn't easy ;D

I had a feelin that mighta been you.  It was good to meet ya and good lookin out on that car door.  I think we got lucky and hit one of those feeding spurts that the D has sometimes.  Well maybe I got lucky, my buddy didnt catch as much and I was tickled because the last time we fished there together was a year ago, he way outfished me that day and Ive had to hear about it for a year since. 

Woolly Bugger

so, I pulled out at 5 on sunday and that's when the bite turned on, that what your tellin' me?

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

One caught the pellet bite,  one caught the evening bite, and one went home -0-
― Charles Bukowski

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 09, 2010, 21:12:30 PM
so, I pulled out at 5 on sunday and that's when the bite turned on, that what your tellin' me?

Na not for me,

You seemed pretty frustrated at the car I thought you went and hit another stream.  I got that spurt of luck between about 10:30 and 12:30.  Not a  pellet bite (though Im not against it :D) I take it as it comes and dont cull much.  I saw those same midges you got a pic of in the stream side brush under the leaves but they were eatin the big bug so I didnt change.  Who knows why the hell those fish were taking that fly.  I picked it sorta because I thought some Fall Caddis would be around but mostly to be a dick to the guy I was fishin with because he was fishin midges.  I like to fish something absurd when I fish with him to mess with him...sometimes it just works out and I really get his goat. 

Also on the pellet bite
The social club told me they are using sinking pellets  up there now so that they dont get into the stream anymore, but the fish still turn on when the smell hits the water.  So I may have been fishing the pellet bite and didnt know it.

Yall heard anything about the new pellet thing. 

MuddlerMan

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on November 09, 2010, 17:29:57 PM
  Muddler I was the guy that told you to step on in that I was fishing dry flies upstream and wouldn't be in that spot for very long. 

You got the wrong guy my brotha.  Although I did see you up there a couple weeks ago, pulled in right beside you.  Had an older guy with me, he just wanted to see the fish.  I didn't think I'd subject him to the frustration after the good day we'd been having.  Wish I would have stopped to introduce myself, but we were in a hurry to get back down the river...
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" - Grateful Dead