News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

tomato can

flyrod

Hey Smoke, I see ya got the fly line on right :).  Good catch, I think the new bugs are working.
Flyrod

22midge

yea flyrod I can make cast 15 feet long now so I dont have to sneak up so close.The top and the bottom of the run had all the fish today.I did find another target at the second spot I fished today...flouro never stopped him.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Woolly Bugger

Damn that a little piggy
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

You wore them out on that big stonefly!  bd;0

consumnfire1229

Weatherman was calling for Spring weather today, so Dougfish and I planned a trip to the Smith.  It felt a little more like spring today!  We met up around 8:30 and made our way across the fields.  A few weeks ago, Doug started hacking away at a trail along side the river and I helped extend it another 50 feet or so today. 

Doug wanted you guys to believe he did something this morning...you can faintly see the trail...

[attach=1]

We started making our way down to the mirror pool around 10 a.m., keeping a close eye on the water checking for fish activity.  Once we got down to the trussle pool, I said it doesn't look like we will be fishing dries.  No sooner than I finished running my mouth, midges filled the air with a few caddis and the fish started rising!

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

[attach=4]

[attach=5]

Dinks, but they didn't come easy.  We had to work for them.

All in all, it was a good day to get out and we accomplished what we came for.  Extending the trail and catching a few browns...with the exception of Doug's one rainbow...

Until next time...

"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

5xTippett

I've got to get back up there!  Fish away so I can at least see pictures 'c;!

Dougfish

Quote from: 5xTippett on March 30, 2013, 16:31:27 PM
I've got to get back up there!  Fish away so I can at least see pictures 'c;!
Some dumbass forgot his camera today. The 10" rainbow I caught was the wildest looking bow I've seen on the Smiff. A well established holdover or a wild fish? I know they are reproducing, at least limitedly.
First Yellow Swallowtail Butterfly of the year, two. Wildflowers are starting to bust.

Point your nose north, Ben!

Big J

Glad to see you got Doug out  :D

Now work on getting Bill out fishing....That's a nearly impossible task.

22midge

heading up tomorrow...... get your butt in the wind 5X maybe we can find a fish hungry enough to eat sompin.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

consumnfire1229

I met up with another Smith River junkie this morning to tie flies for an hour or so before heading to the river.  This area gets crazy two times a year when the race comes to town.  Some real crazies pass through, but the most entertaining are those from out of state that do not have the lottery.  I stopped at the store to get a sundrop and waited in line for a guy to buy $140 worth of scratch offs...sheeesh....

I'm not sure what this NS was running, but this train had 8 engines just in the front..man on man...I've always sort of been facinated with trains. 

[attach=9]

Made it down to the river about 1:30 p.m. and fished an area frequented by others, but completely new to me.  Awesome looking water, but the fish were uncooperative...

[attach=1]

The fish were quiet this afternoon despite the bug activity.  There weren't any real hatches to speak of until about 5:30, but bugs continuously filled the air along with the occasional hendrickson and even a few sulphurs...

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

I spent most of the afternoon watching and waiting.  The fish were not active today even sub-surface.  Water was up and off-color and water temps made it up to 52 degrees.

[attach=4]

[attach=5]

[attach=8]

Around 5:15, I started to notice a little sippage and saw a guy upstream from bring one in....  I had a really hard time finding out what they were feeding on, but managed a couple on a sulphur comparadun. 

Around 6 p.m., a remarkable caddis hatch started.  The fish began to feed on the emerging caddis while I just continued to throw anything and everything that was remotely close to the winged adults.  Finally, I decided to fish smart and tie on #22 CDC emerger and started hooking up in short fashion.  Eager little farts!

[attach=6]

[attach=7]

Until next time...

"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Dougfish

Good stuff Scott! And stellar photography. too! 'c; 'c; 'c;

sanjuanwormhatch

gonephishin'

Very nice, glad to see some decent hatches coming off
"Eat, drink, and be merry....for tomorrow we die"

Woolly Bugger

cool Smith reportage, but now that the evening hatches have started, Dominion power is generation right on top of the hatch b';
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!