News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

waterbugs?

Started by joe friday, May 10, 2016, 10:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on May 10, 2016, 12:19:51 PM
Here is my question, how did the water striders develop the trait of tasting bad?  Natural selection over millions of years allow the bad tasting water striders from poor hygiene to survive while the good tasting water striders diminished?

Say what?  Did you just mention a millions-of-year's timeline and natural selection in your query? 

Jerry just rolled over in his grave!!!!!!

Hipster my ass!!!  I don't even like Sriracha!!!  Bite me!!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

I do believe in natural selection.  Natural selection causes certain traits to either increase or decrease in a population.  Polar Bears and strains of char and trout are good examples.  Natural selection does not lead to the magical creation of a new genetic trait. 

Sarcasm can be inserted into the other thing you mentioned.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on May 10, 2016, 13:10:41 PM
I do believe in natural selection.  Natural selection causes certain traits to either increase or decrease in a population.  Polar Bears and strains of char and trout are good examples.  Natural selection does not lead to the magical creation of a new genetic trait. 

Sarcasm can be inserted into the other thing you mentioned.

If you believe in NS then you believe in evolution, and if you believe in evolution then you believe all life on earth is related and can be traced back to common ancestral life that existed billions of years ago.

I am proud of you Jacob; you and I have come far.  We'll work on the creation myth later.  The big bang and abiogenesis are much easier to understand if you drink or take drugs, both of which you do not do.   No worries, we can work around it.  Jacob, have you ever shroomed? 

Lithwan

The water bug question is a good urn. I've wondered the same myself.

Big J and Mr. Mudwall's exchange about epistemology regarding creation is by far deeper than anything I could have found on SEFFF. I'm glad I check in here from time to time -- far better than most discourse found on other forums.

It looks like Big J might believe in the supernatural... If so he should "shroom".

Onslow

Quote from: joefriday on May 10, 2016, 10:31:29 AM

forgive me if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know enough about trout to tell me why don't they hit the waterbugs floating across the surface of the water? 

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I rarely see trout hit anything on top.  Unless I'm fishing the SF Holston drainage, on average I will observe one fish rise per day. 

I would venture to guess trout will readily consume these spiders if any happen to become injured from high water, or severe run-off conditions.

QuoteThese guys make a living on top of the water where Mayflies, Caddisflies, Stoneflies, Midges, etc are eaten when they are most vulnerable (swimming to top of water, emerging on surface, or resting on water. They do not skate like the Hemipterans

This observation is most relevant. 

JMiller

Quote from: Big J on May 10, 2016, 13:10:41 PM

Just for the record, because I can't tell if you're joking or not, nobody claims natural selection leads to the creation of a new genetic trait.
New traits occur first as random mutations, then based on selective pressures of the environment, can spread through a population.
That's a not minor distinction, since it negates any need for use of terms like "magical" where not needed. 
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Grannyknot

how exactly does a posi trac rear end in a plymouth work?
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Dougfish

Quote from: Grannyknot on May 11, 2016, 07:12:04 AM

Thats magic.  y;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Big J on May 10, 2016, 12:34:29 PM
I thought Mountain Lions targeted the young, frail, slow, or injured? 

WMT's last question made me laugh.

I saw that in action once. A college class I was in went to the WNC Nature Center for a field trip. They have two panthers in a big enclosure with glass and chainlink down one side. They were both laying there absolutely unconcerned and ignoring all of us-until one girl who had broken her leg and was on crutches walked by. One of the panthers jumped up and stalked her all the way along the glass wall and chainlink fence. Gave her the creeps.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Native Fisher

Quote from: Grannyknot on May 11, 2016, 07:12:04 AM
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Man-o-man, I misjudged this one! 

I was sure I'd called the right play, with the fullback leading masturbation through the A gap for big yardage.  But no, the play was stuffed at the line, with more chat of Water Striders, genetic traits, random mutations, posi trac rear ends, and natural selection, for no gain. 

I was damned sure someone would chase the wanking theme.

Second and 10, I'll try again.

Many years ago, I wrote an article and submitted it to a respected fly angling publication.  It was titled 101 Ways to Fondle Yourself While Wearing Neoprenes; it was never published.

Don't over analyze the Strider conundrum.  They taste bad, end of story.   

Big J

Quote from: JMiller on May 11, 2016, 06:57:42 AM

Just for the record, because I can't tell if you're joking or not, nobody claims natural selection leads to the creation of a new genetic trait.
New traits occur first as random mutations, then based on selective pressures of the environment, can spread through a population.
That's a not minor distinction, since it negates any need for use of terms like "magical" where not needed.

Thank you for the correction, it is the genetic mutation that leads to a new useful trait.  The degrading of genetics through random insertion, duplication, or deletion to further and gain a new trait that is benefiting to the organism.

P.S. I want to fish your local for musky sooner then later.

P.P.S.  I left out the term magical.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I've taught my last class, entered my last grade, and now I am cleaning up my lab, where I've been for the last 34 years, so I have some time to reminisce.  Pondering certain turning points in my life, I thought of my last semester as an undergraduate and the public speaking class.  I'd avoided the required course for many years, intimidated, still self-conscience about my Appalachian twang.  The class was an eye opener, realizing I had a propensity for BS and gab. My last speech was a persuasive one on masturbation.  I researched the literature and uncovered some ground-breaking work by a UVA psychologist.  His name was Frank W. Finger!

Thinking back to Finger's work, I believe you guys fall into the group of UVA gals he surveyed.  You are embarrassed and ashamed, therefore you will likely fib, skewing the statistics.   

http://search.lib.virginia.edu/catalog/uva-lib:2158692

Beer makes confused males!!!!  Beer bottle masturbation!!!!

Yallerhammer

No one is taking your masturbait.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

JMiller

Quote from: Big J on May 11, 2016, 08:35:32 AM

P.S. I want to fish your local for musky sooner then later.

P.P.S.  I left out the term magical.

Well you can keep "magical" to describe the local muskies.
And come on down. Actually noticed the first fishermen starting to arrive today for the Southern Classic.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski