News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

soHo sojurn

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 14, 2020, 11:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

2-13-2020 #3

I thought it would be a good idea to hit the So Ho while they were still holding water back from the recent rains. I knew that Thomas Creek would be dumping some muddy water into the river, but as a drove down the dam road I realized that I severally underestimated the volume of water cascading down this tributary. And as I crossed the bridge and saw the empty parking lot, I began to doubt the wisdom of my decision. The mud was pushing half-way across the river and its effects were evident across the while river not too far below the bridge.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

It was warm, maybe 60 degrees, I didn't bother with a jacket as I went for a walk to check out the river. I walked the two-thirds of a mile to the TVA boundary looking for bugs or risers along the way and glancing into the woods for mushrooms too. I found neither. On the way back, near the power lines I heard a fish rise and as I stopped to look another fish rose, then another. Then nothing. I waited and watched but didn't see another rise.

Back at the parking lot, I ran into a couple of anglers and they convinced me to gear up and give it a try. After all, I had just driven three hours to get here. I talked to the young guy, an App student who doesn't have classes on Thursdays, as we donned our waders.

I decided to give those risers downstream a try. The muddy water made wading the river difficult. I dislike not being able to see the bottom. I worked the run for a while with an emerger to no avail. I thought about wading out further but the uneven ledges made me think otherwise.

Back up at the grates the ASU student was casting a nymph to a pod of punes. I walked out onto the grates for the first time ever and was deciding what to tie on when the older fisherman passed by and offered his advice of a #22 or #24 grey thread midge.  He worked he way across the then up to the backside of the island. I've never fished there before either and I watched where he crossed.

I gave up on the grates and took a break up at the Osceola Island parking lot. I took a walk around the island stopping on the bridge to watch a pair of fly fishermen working the slow seam and catching some small browns on a bwo nymph. When I got to the far side of the island I ran into two anglers I had talked to before and the young guy was rigging up with some flies that the old guy had given him. I watched the old guy miss three o four fish in quick succession of his grey midge under his wool indicator. They convinced me that I should get my gear and come on back, which I did.

The bottom here is soft, uneven, and deep. Deep enough that I began to feel all the holes in my waders as I got into position. The second cast I hooked a fish on my own setup, a purple and silver zebra midge. I hooked a couple more and then things got quiet. I checked the fly and saw the thread was unwinding and trailing. I clipped it clean and then began to worry that my cell phone in my pocket might be getting damp and the cold water was soaking into my jeans. I waded to shore, my right knee almost locked up from the cold.

The young guy didn't like the bobber watching so he had switched to a white woolly bugger and was hauling in fish left and right, they weren't big but he was having fun. I also gave up on the midge game and gave a slump buster a go. The wind has started to whip up and the temps were falling fast and I soon was seeking the warmth and shelter of the car.

With my waders off I surveyed the extent of the leakage. Right calf, and knee to upper thigh. Left thigh and rear. At least my feet were warm. I searched the car for a spare pair of pants, and briefly entertained the idea of driving home in my underwear.

By the time I got to Abington my knee was complaining of the damp cold jeans, and I stopped in at the Walmart to get a new dry pair. That make the long drive home much better. 

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Ugh. That remimds me to drp a flashlight down my waders and find some of my leaks.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on February 14, 2020, 11:20:15 AMUgh. That remimds me to drp a flashlight down my waders and find some of my leaks.

I think it's the seams on the Redingtons that is causing the leaks.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 14, 2020, 11:32:37 AM
Quote from: Dougfish on February 14, 2020, 11:20:15 AMUgh. That remimds me to drp a flashlight down my waders and find some of my leaks.

I think it's the seams on the Redingtons that is causing the leaks.

The Redington sonic pro waders I purchased a few years back look good, have many pockets, but the seams did not hold up.  I would just as soon suffer cold water without the benefit of waters than drag about in waterlogged waders.

itieuglyflies

Thomas Creek has screwed up a couple upriver trips for me too. It always surprises me how much silt load it carries after a rain.

Dee-Vo

At least you fished!

My waders leak like crazy from like knee down. I hate waders. And, I hate that river.

troutrus

The hurdy-gurdy tune was cool. I was expecting to see a belly dancer.