News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

NC Delayed Harvest

Started by asago, September 27, 2007, 10:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asago

Hi guys,

I'm a long time lurker on this board, figure it was about time I go ahead an register - especially now since I finally have something to contribute.  I put together a little NC DH "Quick Start" that I though I would share with y'all..  here's the link... (please let me know if I have gotten something wrong).

http://www.georgiafishingbooks.com/images/gfb_468_60.swf

http://www.georgiafishingbooks.com/ncdh/index.php

Thanks,
Aaron

Woolly Bugger

good work there.. on the clock....

ya'll have a blast on the DH water... i'm going wild... :)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Oldman

Was working today (yes I do work sometimes) and got most of a news blurp on wsoc in Charlotte that indicated that no stocking will occur in some streams due to the drought and high temps. Now I only got part of the story and may have not caught all of it. It does not matter to me since I dont fish DH.

Anyone out there get the story today at noon on wsoc?

asago

Oldman

If biologists are that worried about the stockers that much, How do ya think the wild trout are handling these conditions?  Thats why I anit fishing for trout until we get substantial rainfall. Besides, I need to work on the honeydo list anywho.

Trout Chaser

The Charlottesville news reported the other night that the last significant rain fall was 1.4 inches way back in June.  The park streams are all but dried up,  it's going to be years before they recover.

TC

Trouter

I was told that the hatcheries have to do something with the fish so they are stocking anyway.

trout_boy_II

OK, assume I know very little technical aspects about fish and streams (and you would be correct).  Given my ignorance, I offer the following question:

If they can not stock the DH waters and have to move the fish any way, why would they not stock some of the normally non-stocked rivers that could support the additional trout?

I assume that some of the issues might have to to with crossing wild and stocker strains?  Or how about, "the rivers you're suggesting can not hold more trout - they are limited to their current populations by conditions, etc."

I really don't know the answer to whether this would be a good idea or not and would be very interested in a more educated reply.

Thanks.

TB

jscagline

What they ought to do is to put the fish in the put and take streams and let the locals have at 'em.  Hell, DH in illegal immigrant speak means "load the bucket and remember when we're caught, yo no habla ingles".  At least this way we don't have to waste money on wardens writing tickets that won't get paid.

Besides, have you seen the banks of the DH streams?  Half of the newbie fly fishermen and hardware flingers kill over half of them with in the first few weeks from mishandling the fish.  At least if the trout were put in the "green sign" water, they could be eaten legally......

....and what the hell is up with the new retarded smilies?  They look like they've been squeezed too tight!

....just noticing....
The truth hurts but not as much as a gas guzzling, eco wrecking SUV hitting you at 100 MPH!  Yeah baby, yeah!

troutdawg

Quote from: trout_boy_II on October 04, 2007, 11:17:44 AM
If they can not stock the DH waters and have to move the fish any way, why would they not stock some of the normally non-stocked rivers that could support the additional trout?

I assume you are talking about stocking the wild trout waters?

If so, I would consider this a very bad idea.  Even putting aside the whole put and take argument, introducing more fish in stressed waters is not helpful.  The stockers will take up limited space, food and oxygen that the wild trout really need right now.  It would hurt, not help the fishery.

Trout Maharishi

Good points dawg! I think a couple of streams are going to end up getting the majority of the fish for the first stocking or two. There isn't any need to place them anywhere other than a DH stream. The Tuck and the Nantahala will hold a ton of fish.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on October 04, 2007, 18:08:06 PM
Good points dawg! I think a couple of streams are going to end up getting the majority of the fish for the first stocking or two. There isn't any need to place them anywhere other than a DH stream. The Tuck and the Nantahala will hold a ton of fish.

Have you ever fished the Nanty below the powerhouse during generation and been successful? There have to be a ton of fish in there but the current prevents wading in all but a few places and it must require a lot of shot to get results. PM me if you want....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

I spoke by phone with the NC DNR last week and asked about the stocking program. They said the would continue to stock the rivers on the list, but would change the stocking numbers of fish in the streams, depending on water levels and a survivablilty factor.

I would think the tail waters are going to get more fish, and the small streams are going to get less, but this was not confirmed by the DNR.

I hope they do not mix stocked fish with wild fish.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.