News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Carp Broke my Hook

Started by sheepfly, August 14, 2012, 16:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheepfly

It was just like you plan it.  Walk into a mud flat, peek over the bushes and see 3 or 4 carp in skinny water. Make one cast to the big fish while his dorsal is out of the water. Perfect cast, and the fish makes a b-lline for the fly, eats, hook set, fish on.  Water slashing wildly, rod bent, drag whining....fish off. Broken hook.

manufacturers defect?  what's up? I know carp are strong, but a 5 pounder would break a good hook would it?

WRector

Dang, that sucks.  What does the metal look like at the break?  Is it a clean sheer or is the metal pitted... 

I would think the hook aught to straighten out before it breaks...  At least that has been my experience with new hooks.
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

blue ridge angler

Tie all your carp stuff on saltwater hooks and you should be ok in the future..
That's what I've been doing anyway..

bullship

Is that a mustad? I like em but they have a tendency to break. You need stronger hooks, although that one probably got a little tweaked in the vice or had a defect. X2 on saltwater hooks...or heavy egg hooks....or stingers....or octopus hooks--my current favorite. Your eye be looking the wrong direction too. Up eye or straight eye....for the most part.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

croaker

Down here we call that fishing on credit  :o
Pisses me off almost as much as losing a fish due to a dull hook  b';
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

sheepfly

Quote from: WRector on August 14, 2012, 16:35:00 PM
Dang, that sucks.  What does the metal look like at the break?  Is it a clean sheer or is the metal pitted... 

I would think the hook aught to straighten out before it breaks...  At least that has been my experience with new hooks.

I wouldn't call it a clean break after further inspection. there does seem to be a bit of a pit. Bad hook?

sheepfly

Quote from: bullship on August 14, 2012, 20:15:06 PM
Is that a mustad? I like em but they have a tendency to break.

I thought it was a mustad, but when I got home I checked and it was a Black Pool Nymph and Wet Fly hook.  Hollow point, double bronzed, 1x. They are british hooks probably from the 70's.  I have a bunch of hooks and old tying stuff my dad but off a professional tyer for my christmas present when I was 14. That was 21 years ago.

here is the only black pool reference I could find with a quick google.

http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-32692-hooks_two_thousand_black_pool_nymph_and_wet.html

WRector

Quote from: sheepfly on August 14, 2012, 21:13:05 PM
Quote from: WRector on August 14, 2012, 16:35:00 PM

I wouldn't call it a clean break after further inspection. there does seem to be a bit of a pit. Bad hook?

That would be my guess...
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: sheepfly on August 14, 2012, 21:18:59 PM
Quote from: bullship on August 14, 2012, 20:15:06 PM
Is that a mustad? I like em but they have a tendency to break.

I thought it was a mustad, but when I got home I checked and it was a Black Pool Nymph and Wet Fly hook.  Hollow point, double bronzed, 1x. They are british hooks probably from the 70's.  I have a bunch of hooks and old tying stuff my dad but off a professional tyer for my christmas present when I was 14. That was 21 years ago.

here is the only black pool reference I could find with a quick google.

http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-32692-hooks_two_thousand_black_pool_nymph_and_wet.html

I fuggin knew it.

I was about to ask that.  I thought that might be one from that vintage collection of fly tying material that you got

So you tied a fly on a 30 year old hook, threw at a difficult to catch, notoriously strong fish, and now you wonder what happened?  b';

I think you already knew the answer.  You just wanted me to know that you did hook one while wading the flats on that lake. Go get better hooks or come by the house and Ill GIVE you some hooks. They might even have flys tied on them.

Get Bent

Never underestimate the so called trash fish! If I don't use saltwater hooks, I use steelhead hooks or heavy streamer hooks. I have had a hook or two straightened. Carp fishing is for pussies anyways!  :P
Konichiwa Bitches!

sheepfly

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on August 15, 2012, 08:20:01 AM

I fuggin knew it.

I was about to ask that.  I thought that might be one from that vintage collection of fly tying material that you got

So you tied a fly on a 30 year old hook, threw at a difficult to catch, notoriously strong fish, and now you wonder what happened?  b';

I think you already knew the answer.  You just wanted me to know that you did hook one while wading the flats on that lake. Go get better hooks or come by the house and Ill GIVE you some hooks. They might even have flys tied on them.

thanks for the hooks.  tied up a repeat of the one cast wonder. maybe tomorrow i can get 20 minutes to give it a shot.