News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobcrack, creakycane, canii, rbphoto and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

This just in!

Smith River flows cut to 301 cfs at Philpott
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutrus

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 06, 2020, 11:17:58 AMThis just in!

Gave it a try this morning. 300 sounded good but was more than I was up to dealing with. Didn't stay long and can say I definitely had more mosquito bites than fish bites.
Guess I'll wait for 200 cfs before trying again.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutrus on July 07, 2020, 19:33:11 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 06, 2020, 11:17:58 AMThis just in!

Gave it a try this morning. 300 sounded good but was more than I was up to dealing with. Didn't stay long and can say I definitely had more mosquito bites than fish bites.
Guess I'll wait for 200 cfs before trying again.

Town Creek is adding another 100 cfs...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

creakycane

At 400 cfs below Town Creek, it is still a very healthy flow.  Today it was still pretty discolored, and is getting warmer than we would all like.  Water's not dropping below 60F in Bassett at night and it is only a tad bit cooler coming out of Phlipott.  I guess with the screwed-up dam, and whatever gate they are using, the days of low 50Fs 100 cfs water are not possible?

Now, July 11 Sat, its back to over 600cfs  in Bassett (560cfs from Philpott).

Woolly Bugger

they tightened up the spigot the other day ... 301 cfs...
me -There's a season?

driver

68 degrees at Bassett

Al

I helped DWR sample from Bassett to Fieldale yesterday. Look for detailed report tomorrow. Couple of bottom lines

1. Lots of fish - Browns doing much better than in years past. They are fat and not so many dinks. Also lots of rainbows from recent stocking - some HUGE. Rainbows also seem to be doing well - not skinny like in years past.

2. No generation in the foreseeable future - At least a couple years. There is even speculation that Philpott may revert to flood control status with not generation at all - just sluicing with the water being converted to electricity further downstream, ie at Kerr. 

troutrus

I suppose the yakkers are happy.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Al on July 15, 2020, 20:03:52 PM2. No generation in the foreseeable future - At least a couple years. There is even speculation that Philpott may revert to flood control status with not generation at all - just sluicing with the water being converted to electricity further downstream, ie at Kerr. 

Well that sux, the lower river hit 71.2 F below Martinsville dam over the last couple of days with the 300cfs philpott release — I guess that the lower river is going to be totally fubared fer trouts, smallies in the future?

Quote from: troutrus on July 16, 2020, 06:21:52 AMI suppose the yakkers are happy.

Maybe time to buy a fishing raft
me -There's a season?

Al

OK, you Smith River guys listen up - plan your schedule accordingly

Town of Eden is doing some "in-stream" work on a water pipe which necessitates little or no flows for a couple days. Philpott will shut off the sluicing gates middle of Monday afternoon and not open them back up until Wednesday afternoon. They will maintain minimum flows through the low-flow valves but likely nothing more than 30cfs.

Get out there and get-em. Lots of nice browns seen in our recent samples from the dam all the way down to Hwy 220 Bypass. I won't waste much time much lower that Hwy 220. Bring a stringer or basket for those stocked rainbows. There are a ton of them still in the river. Good time to harvest a few for the skillet.

(Unfortunately I have doctors appointments and can't take advantage of this b';  b'; )

Onslow

Good timing.  It will be hotter than hell Monday.

driver

welp. There goes whats left of the fish from 220 down

NCsporksman

Quote from: driver on July 17, 2020, 19:07:06 PMwelp. There goes whats left of the fish from 220 down

wanna go stand in the river and scoopem up, we might finally bag that 30"  p;-

troutrus

Looks like they're doing about 90 cfs at the dam. ~270 down here in Eden. Town has been noisy all morning with the helicopter hauling stuff back and forth to/from the work site.
Appears they pulled quite a bunch of dead wood out from the river.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Woolly Bugger

Flow at Philpott bumped back up to 825! they must have completed the work ahead of schedule
me -There's a season?