News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

High water, winds, and hopes on the James river float.

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 25, 2013, 11:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Drifts was floating the James on Friday and had an empty seat. It took me a while to pull the trigger and get the pass for Firday. The weather wasn't great, a cold front was moving through and they were calling for high winds all afternoon.

On the road before 6, I hit the sunrise in Greensboro the first 20 miles of the 150 mile drive.

Four mile from Lynchburg to Joshua falls. There is a great city boat ramp on the northern side of the river, but the state take out is functional but not a paved ramp, just a tote and carry steps with slides. I got to the take out about a half hour early and it wasn't long before Drifts pulled in. Transferred gear and got on the road to the put-in.

Take-out

Easy launch, and I waited for Drifts to return from dropping off the trailer and returning in my car. He I am standing holding onto a driftboat, wonders why I just gave my car keys to someone I just met 20 minutes ago. About 40 minutes later he returned and we were under way.
Drifts said that the river had dropped to the lowest level of the year, but fisherman had reported that the river rose again this morning. It continued to rise all day long

The high stained water was rockin' down the river and the cloudy skies were breaking into bluebird skies as the wind picked up. I slammed streamers to the bank, while Drifts rowed and dranks beer. We heard the cicadas in the trees, but didn't see any on the water, Drifts cast his killer pattern but nodoby was looking up in that water.

The fishin was slow, so I took over the oars and Drifts fished and drank a few more beers

I tried the Jhnnythndr Badass filter on Drifts, but with a Bud Lime in his hand it didn't have much effect.

Soon it was time for luch, and Drifts set up the grill, I had marinated some chicken with the Speedies special and Drifts cooked up some turkey burgers and canned beans, Van Camp's of course.

A train rolled by and I shot some monikers.

Finished up lunch and back on the river to battle the wind which was blowin really hard now, enough to make casting the 8 wt. sink tip a problem, but when it subsided or we were sheltered by the bank, I tossed out the clouser and managed to pick of a runt. First and only fish of the day. Drifts may have a shot or two of the littler bugger.

At the take-out Drifts winched the boat up the ramp, power tools are cool!

I hit the road home and caught the sun setting as I turned west on I-40 in Greensboro for the final leg home.

I'd like to do that again with a little less water, and a lot less wind!

Thanks, Drifts, for the ride!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

sanjuanwormhatch

I'd take that day in a heartbeat. 

Side note:  I had bud light lime for the first time last weekend.  I'll just say that if the beer is cold enough and weather warm enough, well hell. 

Big J

Knew you'd have a good time if you took him up on his float offer.  Even with the lack of fish.  Nice report.

Transylwader

I'd like my office chair to be on the bow of a boat. Nicely played gents 'c;

Dougfish

I passed over the James about 6 times this week. Jowsers :o
Even the little mountain stream I fished yesterday was still pumped up. And it feeds the mighty James.  'c; 'c; 'c;

benben reincarnated

TheYiman

Great report! Even with the lack of willing fishy participants, looks like a good day of the water.

DRIFTS

Had a blast the other day! Got to try it again with low water and far less wind! Here's a few more pics from the float.
Woolly, hope I didn't kill ya with all the blue grass though /'/
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Rhody

woolly always pulls his weight on the stix, good un to have in da boat, mo fish next time for ya'll surely with all that gear and talent!
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.