Anadromous - Spring rituals

Started by Woolly Bugger, April 14, 2022, 20:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

82 degrees, sunny and windy. Gas $3.89 but I saw some at $3.45

Itieudlyflies said to meet him at the boat ramp at a quarter till six, I got there at 5:30, the boat was already in the water and he was ready to go.

The river had been high and unfishable until yesterday and it was lower and clearer today. We, as usual, were the first boat out and had the spot all to ourselves. Anchored up we waited for the first light of the day, which promised to be a hot one, with temps in the mid 80s.

once we started casting the action was nonstop. Fish were caught on cast after cast, and we had too many doubles to count. ITUF mentioned that no American Shad had been caught this year, but I changed that by hooking into one.

More boats arrived but it never got crowded as it had in past years and there were more anglers on the bank, including one fly fisherman.

It was a grand day, but there was weather brewing and I didn't want to stay too late and risk having to drive home in a storm, so we called it a day with 120 fish before 1:00

Too busy to take many photos, and we only took short breaks now and then before getting back after them.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Big J

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Fin

I've always wanted to give that a go. Tried my hand with the striper there once. Not exactly a "peaceful" spot but hey, 120 fish splashing would help to drown out all the noise. Well done!

Onslow

Nice 'c;

I would enjoy hanging out with Fred, catching, or not catching.

Phil

Git 'em, Fred and Woolly!  V:;

Onslow

Quote from: trout-r-us on April 15, 2022, 13:55:17 PM
Quote from: Fin on April 15, 2022, 10:23:25 AMI've always wanted to give that a go. Tried my hand with the striper there once. Not exactly a "peaceful" spot but hey, 120 fish splashing would help to drown out all the noise. Well done!

Here's a guy with one of the greatest jobs in the world showing one of the more peaceful options.

The lower Chowan/Albemarle basin is indeed interesting, and sparsely populated.  If I were single, and had the time, I would love to spend a couple weeks on the Meherrin and Nottoway floating about being feral and all. The Meherrin from Emporia dam down to the confluence of Fontaine creek looks like an epic float for those feeling misanthropic. The Nottaway is probably is one of the most gamefish species diverse river in the SE.  Largemouth, Roanoke Bass, Smallmouth(non native), blueback, hickory, probably bowfin, crappie, American shad, striper, maybe a few stay redfish below the fall line. I don't know about the Nottoway, but the Tar near Bunn NC has both rocks and very old cypress trees.  This combination of features makes for quite a scenic backdrop for fishing, especially in the Fall when the cypress are flaming orange.