How do you measure success?

Started by AL trout bum, October 24, 2011, 20:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL trout bum

A buddy from work asked me last Tuesday if I wanted to fish up around Tennessee and North Carolina over the weekend. I didn't even need to think about it. We left at 2am Saturday morning and headed due north. At around 7am, we arrive to buy some flies and get some intel on the river.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

It was extremely foggy most of the morning.

It didn't take long for the fog to burn off and opened uo to one of the most beautiful rivers I have ever had the pleasure of fishing.

We were told that it would be around 11am (eastern time) before the water they were releasing that morning would make it to where we were fishing. So we hit the water and immediately noticed a few risers. We both kept working downstream with no luck. I had on a small stimulator fly with a small gray zebra midge dropper. After a while we noticed the water was moving a lot faster. Suddenly rocks that were easily visible were not anymore. We noticed a drift boat banking across the river and the guide came running towards us yelling for us to get out. Well we had already decided we needed to do that, but it wasn't that easy to move against that water, in fact I almost just gave up and let the river have me. Thankfully the guide rowed over and picked us up. His name is Patrick, a guide with Mountain Sports LTD in Bristol. Nice guy and we thanked him for saving us from a 3.5 hour wait for the water to come back down. So we decided to drive around until the water would be lower. Unfortunately, everyone else was there too. At least the scenery was nice.

This experience alone made the trip for me. A lot of you guys  might think this is no big deal, but for a newbie like me, and my first time seeing this with my own eyes, it was awesome. To preface, we get to the water and there are lots of insects hatching. We find a spot among the other fisherman and begin casting to the dozens of rising fish. I am not sure if these were blue wing olives or sulphurs. Some of you that know feel free to identify these bugs for me. Fish were clearing the water hitting these bugs. I saw some nice size rainbows (~16in) and browns leaping which further made me extremely antsy to hook up. However, they weren't touching my fly. I even watched them not only reject my fly, but swim out of the way of my fly as if it was kryptonite. I eventually had a few hits, but kept missing the strike.

My fly (sz16)

There were fish jumping a few feet from me. It's like they were teasing me, and they knew it. I can't describe how many fish were jumping/rising, but as soon as I would cast in the area of one, one would jump over there. So I played the "cast to every fish" game to no avail for an hour or so. Then finally I managed to connect with a little brown that slammed my fly, clearing the water.

That was my only fish, and I didn't see anyone else catching that many either. So, we decided to break for lunch and headed out to try a new spot.

We fished here until dusk, and after getting up at 1am, fishing all day, and being extremely hungry, we decided to call it a day.
Had a great dinner at a place called Cootie Brown's in Johnson City, TN.
Appetizer:

The next day we opted against getting spanked by the South Holston again and decided to try somewhere else. We headed to a river that my buddy grew up fishing in North Carolina.

This is right outside of Asheville, and is where my buddy learned to fly fish. I am amazed at how scenic this river is and jealous that people live so close to this. Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

So for this stream I tied on a BHHE and caught this little guy out of a pretty fast riffle.

After that fish, I didn't have much luck. So I decided to look around under rocks to see what they might be eating.

Again, feel free to ID these. I have no clue.

Some more scenery:

After lunch we decide to change locations, hoping for better fishing. Again, the scenery was stunning. The fishing, S L O W.

This was more of a mountain stream. Reminded me of the SMNP. It was extremely quiet and peaceful, nothing but the sound of running water. Them all of a sudden, it sounded like a sasquatch was running down the hill. Not gonna lie, I was a little freaked out. Finally, what was causing all the commotion comes into view.

Of course they run right through the nice pool I had been eyeing upstream from me.  :evil:
I missed a huge strike further upstream. Of course the one millisecond I look away, that's when the fish strikes. We fish up a good ways and I decide to take a break and just watch the water for a while.

I eventually came to this HUGE pool (relative to the rest of this river).

I saw a few risers and never could get a strike on my dry. The only thing I saw was extremely small midges that I couldn't match anyways. I also noticed a nice size brown cruising around. Maybe around 15" or so. I tied on a smaller streamer and had several hits, but couldn't connect. It was getting dark so we decided to hike out and call it quits.

So if you measure success by the number of fish caught, I failed. If you measure it by the experiences you had, lessons learned and sights you saw, it was a huge success. 8)
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

Woolly Bugger

next time they tell you the water will be coming up you will listen!

first time I fished the SoHo I caught the just one also. Looks like you had the right fly, maybe a size too big, sometimes they are just taking emergers in the film

I would rate it successful, especially the part about getting rescued from the high water...

Know before you go: http://www.tva.gov/lakes/shh_r.htm

1-800-238-2264  4  01

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

AL trout bum

Yea, I became that guy the locals make fun of. We knew of the release and the time. The problem was I forgot to change my watch over to eastern time. I thought I still had an hour left before the water got to us. That is one hell of a river and I can't wait to give it another shot. Something about a challenge that makes you want to work harder. I am thankful for those humbling days. Will have to wait til next year to try again.......   b';
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

OldDominionAngler

Been there and nearly made the same mistake the first time I fished it...easy to lose track of time when you're trying to catch fish.  All you can to is listen to the guys with experience and then go fish.  Sounds like you've got some valuable info for next time.  Nice bug pics and good to catch a few too.  0:0

benben reincarnated

You succeeded, you caught fish.  Exploring new water is always a gamble, and it paid off even if the numbers weren't good. 

Those bugs look like stone flies to me.  You find them in every stream around here.  I've seen some really big ones on the Davidson.

kylemc

Patrick is a nice guy. Some of the other at MSL..not so much.

If you had a good time it was a success.

Cootie Browns is delicious.

Nice TR.

consumnfire1229

The last 2 nymphs are flat-headed mayfly nymphs.  Probably will hatch into something you could match with a dark or light cahill pattern. 

Looks like a day well spent! 
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Woolly Bugger

after the crayfish, it's a stonefly then bwo.. http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/563 something close to this... i'm guessing...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

croaker

Crayfish are better eatin' than BWO's or Stoneflys... :D
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Transylwader

For a 'Bama, you're gettin some serious travel miles racked up 'c;
And I always thought there were sirens.  :o Once the flood gates open, you become one with that river b';

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Transylwader on October 26, 2011, 01:29:36 AM

And I always thought there were sirens.  :o

there are but you can only here them up close to the dam, not while on the water downstream around the bend,

jis say'in
me -There's a season?

tattdflythrower

id say you used an odometer lmao nice  'c;
"if i live the life im given, i wont be scared to die"

Jfey

The water comes up pretty fast.  Best to keep an eye on a rock and if it disappears, get the f out!  Unless you are with a guide or one of the local experts it takes a few trips to figure the Soho out.  Even when you think you have it figured out it can still humble you pretty quickly!
Yup, going fishing

AL trout bum

Thanks guys. It was tough fishing for sure. I didn't see many other people catching fish either, but obviously some did (Woolly). I think my main problem was 1) I was fishing dries when in retrospect, they were likely keying in on cripples. 2) My drift was sucky. There's always next time, but with gas the way it is, who knows when I can afford to go again!  b';

Trout_ninja

Good post.
Good beer.
Good food.
Good fish.
Good to be home, even a quick trip !!
And a Good friend to hang with...that's success !!!

Well slay 'em next round.