News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Bucket List Overnighters

Started by Onslow, December 05, 2020, 19:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

2019, I did the Cape Fear.  Fishing wasn't great, but the experience was decent. Things went off the rails in 2020 for a couple reasons, but mostly due to piss poor flows.  That being said, if one looks beyond the normal destinations, perhaps one on this list can be busted out.  Here is my list.  All should have sections near, or more than 10 miles, and be remote.

1. Little River in Floyd County.  Not for the faint of heart.

2. Deep River.  Two possibilities. Not every bridge is a feasible access point.
   Below Coleridge, and Highfalls are the areas of interest. Trophy Nokies!

3. Bluestone River WV.  Most certainly a bucket lister.

4. Clinch.  Puckett Hole to Nash is a must do.  There is another section at the Guest River area that looks good.

5. Greenbrier WV.  Two possibilities at the middle river.

6. South Fork Mayo.  This may seem like an unlikely candidate, but there is a loooong section....
   I fished the upper end of it, and the streambed morphology is conducive to weird expeditioning.

7. Staunton

8. Ararat.  Needs to recover from all the flooding.

The first two on the list are hopefuls for 2021. Anyone remotely interested in any of this? I'm good with going solo, or with my son, but if anyone has the inclination to join.  The Staunton would be good for several boaters.

Greenbrier, Ararat, and Clinch would be the easiest floats.  The Little in Va, Bluestone, Deep present physical challenges, but also have the most potential for the unique experience that is not easily forgotten.

Woolly Bugger

I don't know for sure, I do know that I'm planning on booking 4-5 days with Brian Horsley fall 2021

And I like the fact that Amazon picks the dude for the advert

You cannot view this attachment.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutrus

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 05, 2020, 19:28:46 PMI don't know for sure, I do know that I'm planning on booking 4-5 days with Brian Horsley fall 2021

And I like the fact that Amazon picks the dude for the advert

You cannot view this attachment.
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 05, 2020, 19:28:46 PMI don't know for sure, I do know that I'm planning on booking 4-5 days with Brian Horsley fall 2021

That is a "Flat Out" great idea. Better book early as his (and her) calendar fills up quick.

troutrus

From Onslow's list, the Upper Staunton is high on my list. Some beautiful Smallies and Walleye up there. I'm no longer interested in sitting in a kayak all day, but I hear there's some driftboat guides up there.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutrus link=msg=168477That is a "Flat Out" great idea. Better book early as his (and her) calendar fills up quick.

I've been in touch — he won't book newbies until after the first of the year!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Quote from: troutrus on December 06, 2020, 10:44:16 AMFrom Onslow's list, the Upper Staunton is high on my list. Some beautiful Smallies and Walleye up there. I'm no longer interested in sitting in a kayak all day, but I hear there's some driftboat guides up there.

I would venture to guess the best strategy for Walleye would be to hover below Leesville Dam during the appropriate season.

There seems to be very little info on riverine walleye fishing, particularly river strains that are native to the Clinch and New.  IF my memory serves me correctly, said variety have been introduced to the Staunton. One can only hope said walleye munch on baby spotted bass. As with most rivers, in the southeast, the Staunton has been permanently polluted by the miserable Kentucky spotted bass.

RiverbumCO

The Little in Floyd is intriguing.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

troutrus

Quote from: Onslow on December 06, 2020, 17:39:35 PM
Quote from: troutrus on December 06, 2020, 10:44:16 AMFrom Onslow's list, the Upper Staunton is high on my list. Some beautiful Smallies and Walleye up there. I'm no longer interested in sitting in a kayak all day, but I hear there's some driftboat guides up there.

I would venture to guess the best strategy for Walleye would be to hover below Leesville Dam during the appropriate season.

There seems to be very little info on riverine walleye fishing, particularly river strains that are native to the Clinch and New.  IF my memory serves me correctly, said variety have been introduced to the Staunton. One can only hope said walleye munch on baby spotted bass. As with most rivers, in the southeast, the Staunton has been permanently polluted by the miserable Kentucky spotted bass.

Here's some info on Staunton.

itieuglyflies

Strange looking walleye that fellow is holding....I guess I have been wrong all these years calling them channel cats!

Onslow

Just added this one to the list. Top shelf bass fishing, very unique setting, remote AF, w/ the Shaman petroglyphs in near proximity. This is located near Big Bend in the dry sector.  Pecos River looks good too.

I plan to mess around on the Paluxy River near Glenn Rose TX this Summer whilst hunting dinosaur tracks.  If I like it, I may pull the trigger on the Devils River.

Devils River (Expedition)

Nother goodern, the Frio

streamereater_101691

Onslow

Labor Day weekend 2022, I'm knocking on off the list. Flows will dictate where.  IF the water is low, it is the Staunton I will go.  IF the Bluestone, is 300cfs or higher at Pipestem, then it is there I will go. I can manage this with this just my son and I, but if anyone wants to tag along for either, let me know.  Down for one more for Bluestone, and maybe two for the Staunton.

Trout Maharishi

I don't want to be anywhere near Big Bend TX after what I saw yesterday.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Dee-Vo

I really just want to do a float soon and camp overnight or two nights if it takes that long -- I want to float a river from its beginning waters until its very end at the confluence with a larger water. Local is fine.

trout-r-us

I know your interest lies in floating down, but if you're ever interested in pre scouting the Staunton, here's a guy that knows it well. He kayaks it and also uses the jet drive.
Used to see him bow fishing Gar on the Dan. Guy is a premier outdoorsman.

Jet:

Kayak:
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus