Looking for epic, failed... but it was still a good day

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 19, 2013, 08:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Well it's been a very wet July and the rivers are swollen, muddy or too far away for a day trip. Found out there were putzing around on the South Holston Dam, and we figured we could get a day of wade fishing in. I was planning on getting to the river around 9, but the road was washed out south of Newland. I had read about it, but I miscalculate the location, and that added a few minutes to the trip along with getting stuck at the railroad crossing.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I finally got on the water at 10. Troutphisher was already hammering the fish in the lower reaches of the river. The water was dingy from runoff and running at 210 fromt the sluicing. Only a few bugs were coming off, and we had to resort to nymphing / locator fishing to get the job done. I was fishing the Battenkill 8' 4 1/8 oz. rod, it felt good to be casting boo again, this was only the third time and first full day I've fished a bamboo rod since breaking one last year. I've still not fished the repaired Battenkill 7 ½ ' rod.

Frustrated by the lack of risers, we moved on up the river were the water was clearer, but still not enough bugs to get the fish active.

At beer thirty, we had planned to move up top, but we started to see some risers on the flat water and rigged up for dries. First cast, BAM! Now were talking. Spend the next hour or so stalking and catching risers. Lost 3 good fish, two through the hook, which, when inspected, was bent and the third just broke me off, it was a slab of a brown that I has worked for a while before it committed to the fly. I was pissed when he broke me off. Effin 6x!

The sun came out at it heated up quickly, not even a hint of a breeze, it was sweltering, we should have been wet wading in the 58 degree water. I looked over and saw Troutphisher taking a break in the shade, he must be getting old...

Thunderstorms preceeded the scheduled generation flow by an hour or so and we ended the day drinking beer under the shelter of the Jeep hatch.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Transylwader

Is Karl Hungus still playing engineer in Mississhitti?

sheepfly

good lookin bows.  I bet they were fun on bamboo.

Rod Champion

Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

troutphisher

Not an epic day, but still lots of fun fishing.

The dry fly fishing was fun, and interesting in that I tied on a snow shoe sulfur, and gave Keith a compara sulfur tied with bleached deer hair ( the bleach lightened up the deer to a ginger color). I had a few rises to the snow shoe, but not like Keith was having, so I switched flues to the same pattern, and the fish took it readily.

I moved down to a slow water section and targeted some rises. Some of the takes were just slow sips and others were hard splash takes. It also seamed the fish liked a little animation or movement to the fly. I would target a rise, then cast about 10 feet above the rise and let the current pull the fly to the target. When over the targeted spot, I would twitch the fly and the fish would rise to it. That a was fun and challenging.

The beer was a  good break, Liny summer ale with a hint of lemon. 0:0  Thanks Woowe.......

All in all a fun day.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

DRIFTS

Sounds like fun! Usually it's all over for me once the beer starts flowen
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Woolly Bugger

That third shift is a coors "craft" beer, they don't list that on the label , it was ok but not worth the extra coin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

sheepfly

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 19, 2013, 15:51:02 PM
That third shift is a coors "craft" beer, they don't list that on the label , it was ok but not worth the extra coin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Budweiser starte their "craft" line a few years ago with shock top and the like. They all suck, but do a descent job with their imposter labeling and branding.