News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Furled Leaders

Started by Dee-Vo, October 17, 2017, 11:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

Been looking at these for a bit. Anyone used them? Sources say they last a long while, and casts easily in tight cover, and has a tippet ring for ease of adding tippet and a loop for loop to loop attachment to your fly line. I've ordered two.

https://appalachianfurledleaderco.com

driver

I use them on warm water stuff when using a floating line. Mainly on just my 5 weight. I stopped using them for nymphing because they create more drag and are more visible than a normal leader. And they are to long for me on bluelines. I make my own 4ft leaders for that.

They do last awhile and make changing tippet a breeze. As for making better cast or presentation. I see no difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

I thought of the visibility issue. It almost swayed my buying decision. I'm going to try it.

The tippet ring is big time against purist ideology, but what isn't? It'll save tons of time and the plants and animals won't be scarred with my horrid yet creative profanities nearly as oft.

Regarding ideal small stream leader length, I've began using 6.5' - 7' or so. This is including tippet length. Simply and expectedly more conducive to small stream angling.

Dougfish

What material are they?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Dougfish on October 17, 2017, 12:25:43 PM
What material are they?

Thread.

Dougfish

Mine have all been nylon. Mono. Durable, floats, less visible. Stopped using them on technical trout water. Too much spray. 

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

itieuglyflies

As for durability I confess to using the same furled leader on my NY tributary setup  for at least five seasons. It came from Feather-Craft and has a tippet ring. I have taken quite a number of big Browns and salmon with this leader and it would likely last another season; but now that I have said it I will replace it for this Fall's trip. They cast great.

As for tippet rings I now use them for everything except dry fly setups.

Dee-Vo

These leaders are made from polyester filaments per the guy I bought them from. Polyester is impressively tough and abrasion resistant. Nylon is great as well, very strong.

The tippet ring is supposedly negligible when dealing with dry fly applications.

The Dude

Quote from: Dee-Vo on October 17, 2017, 13:59:16 PM
The tippet ring is supposedly negligible when dealing with dry fly applications.

Tippet rings are not negligible. Do not use them for dry fly applications (which makes them useless on small streams the majority of the time).
Additionally, I don't think polyester thread floats nearly as good as mono once it gets saturated.
Ipso facto, a polyester furled leader with a tippet ring is no bueno for dry fly or dry-dropper rigs.
If you're going to go down the path of furled leaders, I would recommend mono without a ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Dougfish

I tie flies with thread. I cast mono - nylon or flouro. No tippet/nipple rings for me.
That is all. Good luck.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Yallerhammer

I use them quite a bit for small stream fishing. Generally like them. They last forever, and help you get the fly out there when there isn't enough room to have fly line out. The only problem I have at all with them is that they are very limp and sometimes tend to tangle around the rod tip. No problems with dry flies/tippet ring.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff