News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

What happened to Big J?

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, December 18, 2020, 10:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Small pole?

I am so proud of Big J's brother, and his high school pals, that still work in Atlanta.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/male-strippers-urge-georgia-voters-to-get-your-pole-to-the-polls-for-runoff-election-video/ar-BB1c1ACG?ocid=msedgntp
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

:laugh:   Funny you said that because my youngest brother just started a new job today.  All my High School friends are too fat and ugly to strip though.  Wrestlers as soon as they are done wrestling tend to pack on a 100 lbs due to wrecked metabolisms and poor diets after years of being on diets/starving themselves.  They end up looking like Grayson after maybe or maybe not having gout (can anyone confirm the gout?) or Hiner after Fatback Soul Shack opens up.

driver

Fatback Soul Shack! This sounds amazing.

Big J

Quote from: driver on December 18, 2020, 19:31:24 PMFatback Soul Shack! This sounds amazing.

It's pretty darn good. If you ever are coming up 81 thru Blacksburg it's right off 81 there. Worth a stop. The collard greens is what got Hiner.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on December 19, 2020, 08:55:20 AM
Quote from: driver on December 18, 2020, 19:31:24 PMFatback Soul Shack! This sounds amazing.

It's pretty darn good. If you ever are coming up 81 thru Blacksburg it's right off 81 there. Worth a stop. The collard greens is what got Hiner.

Yes, they serve very good greens.  I have not had the Shack's greens since I left the area in 2016, but they reminded me of my grandmother's, and one of many regrets from my youth.

My granny would take her grand kids to pick all sort of greens around the farm.  We'd carry the basket and she'd pick.  I should have paid attention.  The only green-like stuff I remember picking is watercress, likely because it only needed a good rinsing, then slapped on a bread with potted meat for instant satisfaction.

Woolly Bugger

Crafted, a Taco / Burger / Bar in Winston Salem served up some delicious Duck Fat Braised Collards!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Aka

Quote from: Big J on December 19, 2020, 08:55:20 AM

Yeah man! I checked the menu, looks legit. I have a project in Lynchburg starting in a few weeks. Will def. check it out on the way through.

Beetle

What is the deal with Virginians and potted meat?    Mary's dad loved it

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Beetle on December 19, 2020, 19:43:38 PMWhat is the deal with Virginians and potted meat?    Mary's dad loved it

Yes, and I have a theory.  I believe some thought of potted meat as the poor's pâté, often served with watercress.

I was on a dove hunt many moons back, and this crazy Austrian served us lunch.  One of the treats was pâté and cress.  I immediately thought of the potted meat/watercress sandwiches of my youth.

A carryover from our European ancestry?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Beetle on December 19, 2020, 19:43:38 PMWhat is the deal with Virginians and potted meat?    Mary's dad loved it

I thought it was a southern thing, I never had a Vienna Sausage, until moving to NC :o

I was like, "what the fuk" you eat this as a snack...  -p-
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on December 20, 2020, 11:17:59 AM

You sure it wasn't just mashed Vienna Sausages? I mean he was Austrian.

Yes, and I have a theory.  I believe some thought of potted meat as the poor's pâté, often served with watercress.

I was on a dove hunt many moons back, and this crazy Austrian served us lunch.  One of the treats was pâté and cress.  I immediately thought of the potted meat/watercress sandwiches of my youth.

Aka

Michael Toris

Lot of shit talkin' going in in this thread....

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on December 20, 2020, 11:17:59 AM

Seems odd I don't recall consuming watercress. My MIL and wife are hard core subsistence farming stock. My wife has eaten snapping turtle, groundhog, raccoon, opossum while living on the farm, therefor one could assume their foraging would have brought them to watercress, but that is not the case. I'm shall research water cress. My MIL did plant a pile of turnips in the garden this past Fall. We tend to favor mustard, turnip greens, and collards.

Regarding meats, pork brains were used in gravy frequently by my MIL's family. Souse meat was occasionally  made, but fatback was used three meals a day.  This clan was largely from the central-northern British Isles, w/a considerable amount of Scandi blood showing up.

My deceased FIL was an old school Moravian farmer whose ancestors hailed from Baden (Deutschland), and was a neighborhood legend for his furniture making, and pork products, but he stuck with the traditional hams, and ground sausage. No weird shit.

driver

I was given this book as a Christmas Present yesterday. I found it mind blowing what is actually edible.

https://amzn.to/2WLPznB