As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

SNP BoyScout weekend.

Started by FT, March 21, 2006, 11:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FT

It's that time of year againfor the annual SNP Boy Scout weekend scheduled
for April 21 - 23. This year we are camping both Friday and
Saturday night at Dundo Group campground.
http://www.nps.gov/shen/downloadable/Dundo_campground.pdf

The campground is located around mile marker 90, south of Loft Mountain.
Most of you will get on the Skyline Drive at Thornton Gap (I64) and come
north. We will probably fish Mill Prong again. It's about a 40 minute drive
north.
http://www.nps.gov/shen/PDF%20documents/2004_SHEN_park_map.pdf

We will be instructing the scouts on Saturday for native brook trout. Some of the boys will have their own rods, but most won't. We will need
to provide rods for them to use.
Sunday we will be fishing for fun!!

I'll take care of breakfast Saturday and Sunday, and dinner Friday and Saturday. The scouts have been providing lunch on Sat.

Last year we had a couple people bring their kids and that will be ok again this
year.

If you have never fished for native brookies in the park, this is your chance to hook up with some experience park rats. 

Signed up to help so far.

GBBowser
Natureboy
Doahdoug
Pelcrk
Outdoorguy3
Trout Chaser
OTS (Ben)
BrentG
Charter Member Shenandoah Valley Irregulars

Woolly Bugger

Bad w/e for me. I'll let you know if I get the w/e free.... but it doesn't look good now....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Stuart R.

I hope when I have kids I have a boy to go to scout things with. That seems like sooo much fun. You should be proud of the little men. Kids that grow up outside stay outta trouble and tend to be better kids all around in IMO.

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Stuart R.

I was asked to help with a scout troop to get there fly fishing badge. I think I will hope it am not getting into more than I think! Any pointers let me know please.

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

FT

the annual SNP Boy Scout weekend is scheduled for April 21 - 23.  We will camp
both Friday and Saturday night at Dundo Group campground, but will be away from
the Scouts.
http://www.nps.gov/shen/downloadable/Dundo_campground.pdf

The campground is located around mile marker 90, south of Loft Mountain.
Most of you will get on the Skyline Drive at Thornton Gap (I64) and come
north.  We will probably fish Mill Prong again. It's about a 40 minute
drive north.
http://www.nps.gov/shen/PDF%20documents/2004_SHEN_park_map.pdf

We will be instructing the scouts on Saturday for native brook trout.
Some of the boys will have their own rods, but most won't.  We will need
to provide rods for them to use. 
Sunday we will be fishing for fun!!I'll be providing dinner both nights and
breakfast Sat and Sunday. The Scouts will provide lunch Sat.  I'll have flies
and leaders. 

Last year the boys caught over 30 fish and had a great time.  Probably be a few less boys this year so hopefully we will be one on one.

9ft4wt2

Tim:

Sorry, I can't make it this year. I do have a whistle, two-way radio, flare gun, map, portable GPS, silver reflective search blanket, satellite phone, waterproof matches and the Boy Scout handbook on ow to avoid getting lost in the woods, that I would be happy to loan to my friend -- OTS. ;)

9ft4wt

Trout Chaser

Since I have to make the drive to the park on Friday I figured I'd leave a little early to beat the traffic and maybe fish before setting up camp.  Does anyone want to meet up late am early afternoon to make sure the fish will be willing for the scouts?

TC

FT

The camp site at Dundo is reserved.  Will post the site number as soon as I get it.  Looks like it's going to be dry and with waters low.  Will probably fish Rose and Hogcamp instead of Millpong on Sat. I plan on getting to the campgound by 6 and will start dinner. 

pelcrk

Dave,
  I think it's our civic duty to get in early and prefish for the scouts. Let me know hwere you want to meet.
Best,
Steve
It's all good drifts

Trout Chaser

Steve,

PM me phone number when you get a chance.  I'll give you a call and we can discuss.

Looking forward to fishing our cane, I've got another new one.  :)

TC

Brent G

Tc and Steve,
I may be able to get away next friday also ...... not sure yet but should know by Monday

Brent G

natureboy

I might try to bail early also, work sure can get a man down...

9ft4wt2

I don't consider myself a great trout fisherman, but I have found that if I cast long enough at a specific trout, rest it from time to time, be patient, change flies that at some point I can at least get a rise. Miss it more often than not, but I get a rise. :-\

So, what has happened to OTS?

The fly is out there -- a size 8 improved sofa pillow. I am sure he can see it. Right down the middle of the feeding lane. No drag. Drifting free and clear and waiting to be smacked.

Figured, he would have at least come up to look at it, drifted down stream for a while with his nose being  tickled by the hackle and then reject it.

But nothing...

I got to quit trolling and go back to fly fishing... ;D

9ft4wt

pelcrk

Brent,
  that would be great. hope you can slip away. Dave, check your PM. I'll be back in town Tuesday.
Best,
Steve
It's all good drifts

9ft4wt2

You guys have a good urn. My heart is breaking... :'(

9ft4wt