News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

My Latest Project

Started by aszat, February 26, 2012, 11:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aszat

This is my copy/version of a Waldron vise I just completed. My hours were cut at work to 40, so I had a few Fridays to make it. Gave it a test yesterday and it worked just fine. I'm looking forward to using it. Just need a nice board to mount it to.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Big J

:o Amazing craftsmanship. 

NewTyer1

Any plans in the future of selling any?
Scott
Military Police Officer
Iraq Veteran 08-09
National Registry EMT

robs_seven

Nice looking vise, great machine work.  What shop do you work at.  Seems like most shops are slowing up a bit, we went a little slow during the last quarter, but since the first of the year we have been slammed. 
!!!Tying, building, fishing!!!

Quote from: Transylwader on June 25, 2012, 09:04:59 AM
This creek was so big that a high hole was virtually impossible.

benben reincarnated

Nice work, that's pretty sick. 

Quote from: aszat on February 26, 2012, 11:48:33 AM
Just need a nice board to mount it to.

maybe some spalted maple, some reclaimed chestnut, or my most favorite reclaimed black walnut.

aszat

Thank's guys. I enjoyed building it, it kind of adds to the fun of fishing. My Dad made his own years ago where he worked. A fella at the machine shop there helped him out. I think he might had been the guy who got him into fly fishing. It took close to 30 hours so NewTyer1 , I probably won't have any near future plans on selling any since I can't wait to get back on the water. And to Robs_Seven, I work in Hickory at a shop called Williamson Machine. We slowed down in the last quarter and had to put money back into the shop. So the owner had to cut out the overtime. Were getting pretty busy now so maybe that will change. What shop do you work at ?

robspe7370

That is a damn good looking vise. 'c; ;D
I ain't here for a long time. I'm here for a good time.

aszat

Oh , by the way benben, I like the choices of wood, I'll probably mount it temporary on something cheap, then find some nice wood and work it up. I'd like to try something like chestnut. I've heard a lot about the reclaimed stuff since the blight destroyed the chestnuts, I've never even seen it up close. They say it used to make up most of america's eastern forest.

aszat

Almost forgot robs_seven, that rod you built was was some work of art.

robs_seven

Thanks bro buy that vise tops my shit.  I work in mooresvill at a place called structure medical On night shift
!!!Tying, building, fishing!!!

Quote from: Transylwader on June 25, 2012, 09:04:59 AM
This creek was so big that a high hole was virtually impossible.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: aszat on February 26, 2012, 23:14:24 PM
Oh , by the way benben, I like the choices of wood, I'll probably mount it temporary on something cheap, then find some nice wood and work it up. I'd like to try something like chestnut. I've heard a lot about the reclaimed stuff since the blight destroyed the chestnuts, I've never even seen it up close. They say it used to make up most of america's eastern forest.

Chestnut is some cool looking lumber and was the dominant species at one time.  Not terribly hard to find either now as lumber.  A lot of old barns were built using it and you can find a lot of reclaimed stuff throughout Appalachia.  Apparently people can still harvest usable lumber from the fallen trees from decades ago that died, although I've never seen any marketed as such.

I read this book about a year ago which is a narrative of the history of the American Chestnut, interesting read:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Chestnut-Death-Rebirth-Perfect/dp/0520259947/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330345212&sr=8-1

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Beautiful work aszat!

Chestnut would certainly highlight your craftsmanship; it is a wonderful wood.  When I was a kid my dad and I would harvest the dead Chestnut for kindling.  It was easy to split and just a few sticks would start a fire. 

A good friend has spent his entire career studying the tree.  He has plots everywhere and has identified some huge American Chestnut that never succumbed to the blight.  He is a firm believer that the species will make a comeback. 

http://ipm.ppws.vt.edu/griffin/accf.html 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

superb work on the vice.

The American Chestnut Foundation is working on a back breeding program to make an blight resistant strain.

http://www.acf.org/r_r.php
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

The missions of the various organizations are interesting.  The dichotomy is obvious.   

"The goal was to breed blight resistance from the Chinese chestnut tree into the American chestnut tree, while maintaining the American chestnut's characteristics."  The American Chestnut Foundation

"This research makes possible the nut distributions from our all-American breeding program to restore American chestnuts to our forests.  .........ACCF chestnuts are all-Americans from open pollination in several Virginia and West Virginia plantings."  American Chestnut Cooperator's Foundation
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon