Sharon Harris - 26 July 08

Started by Al, July 26, 2008, 19:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Some of you have contacted me to see if I'd given up fishing for a life as a political pundit or if maybe I was just getting to old to fish any more. Thanks for your concern. I am fine, but like many of you, I think twice about jumping in my vehicle for pleasure at $4 per gallon. I have also been busy with volunteer work at the Pechmann Fishing Education Center and recently went back to my home town for my 50th class reunion. (Seems like everyone looked older then I recall - except me of course). I am also getting all my "honey do's" out of the way because I'm heading to Alaska in less then 10 days for a week of salmon fishing.

This morning I linked up with a recently acquired fishing buddy and did some fun fishing for bream and crappie at Sharon Harris Lake. We  did well. Most of the bream are now off the beds but if you can locate an old beaver hut you will find the fish. The bream were right up against the entrance to the huts and the few crappie we caught were out in front of the huts at about 8-10 feet of water.

My favorite fly rod set up for bream fishing is a leader of about 4-5 feet of straight 10 pound monofilament leader with a bass size popper. I then tie about 18 inches of 6-8 pound monofilament to the bend of the popper hook and end up with a #12 or #14 beadhead Allieworm as the dropper. This is a deadly bream set up and will also catch an occasional bass. Most of your hits are going to be on the dropper but occasionally you will catch one on the popper. I have one a few occasions caught doubles of bass on this set up. Cast it out there, let it sit a few moments, if you don't get a hit, pop the popper let it sit again. After about 2-3 pops if nothing happens, pick it up and try a few feet to the left or right.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

We were on the water at about 7:30am and came off a little early (about 11am)  because my friends engine was acting up and we did not want to take a chance of having to look for a tow (We were in a pontoon boat and I don't think it would have responded to rowing very well). We caught about a 100 bream that put a pretty good bow in our rods and at least 25 more that would have been good bait if we wanted to save them for striper or catfish bait (we did not).

I used a fly rod and my newly acquired fishing buddy used a spinning rod with crickets. On some holes I out fished him and on others the crickets ruled the day. When it came to crappie, a ultra light spinning rod with 1/16 oz curly tailed jig was ticket.

I recently lost a hunting and fishing buddy to lung cancer. He was an old SF guy and we told a lot of lies to each other over the years. I miss him. His death bed gift to me was to link me up with one of his other fishing buddies, the gentleman you see above. This fellow is a deacon in a local church. He is very laid back and more importantly is an avid fisherman and a very personable individual. We have hit it off and I now have a new partner for warm water fishing. Thanks for the introduction Bob - we talked about you today.

troutphisher

Great way to spend your time Al. A truly worth cause for sure. If your not fishing your are very to close to it, and thats living the dream.

Sorry to hear about your pal, it sucks every time you loose one.

TP
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.