News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Just Do It

Started by Onslow, July 03, 2020, 18:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Several years back, ominous weather spooked off this stream a bit prematurely. Due this creek having zero trails, at least 4 troughs with slick sloping rocks flanking both sides of the water, and generally just being a miserable bitch, I've been hesitant to return. For some reason, perhaps due seeing my ability to traverse such bitchy streams diminishing, I jumped at the opportunity today to fish this stream.

This creek drains about 6 square miles, and my starting point was at around 1460', and was 2080' at the top of the gorge some 1.5 miles upstream. It is located in the Yadkin river basin. I entertained the notion of going up as far as I could, then retreat, or try to make it to the top, but since this stream is not frequented by many, I could not confirm this was feasible. If I did make it to the top, I could theoretically be hit with trespassing charges due the road being an HOA road, and not state. It was also a 4.5 mile walk back to the truck.

Set the alarm for 4:20 to get an early start. Temps are getting warm, and I did not want to be handling fish late in the day. I was in the creek by 6:40 making my way up to the first big falls. Past experiences fishing in the falls pools were not great, but today was different.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Lost one about 15" plucked right from the base. This falls is about 50' high, but there is a small path to the top. The calmer water above the falls does not last any time.

Not far above the first falls is a 12' wall falls, then shortly above that is the first trough. Getting around them is a bitch. Pic below as trough 2 is hidden behind the midstream boulder below.

I don't have much extra material in the box, and wasn't in the mood to loose stuff in the wood. Many of the pools at the lower third of the gorge was junky.

Some of the drops had ropes dangling on rocks that were placed there years ago, but some were useless.

I was only a third of the way in when this shit show was encountered. If my memory serves me correctly, I flanked this on the right.

This is around the mid point. All the large deep pools mocked me.  Most of the fish were caught in smaller pools, push water, or troughs.

This is the last major falls towards the upper end of the gorge. Had to get out, and brush beat around this one. Ropes disappeared mid way up.  Had to get out, and brush beat about 5 time.

Horrible culvert death

Well, I made it to the bridge.  Now for a 1:45 walk.

Snacked on these and blackberries along the way.

So generally speaking, this stream fishes well.  There has to be larger fish lurking in the larger pools that are not represented here. Caught a ton of the 8-10 inch fish, and lost some nice ones. There should have been some brookies in here, but none were caught. NCWRC shocking turn them up in abundance years ago.

Al

Damn - more power to ya. If my old bones would stand it I'd love to try things like that again. Nope, don't even think about it  :o

RiverbumCO

Bad ass dude
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

itieuglyflies

You are one tough dude....and certainly know how to find these special places ....but as Al said it is a young man's stream.

bmadd

That looks like fun. Hard as hell, but fun

Stone-Man

Damn pretty fish and plenty of them   'c;  Rough as hell looking place. Glad that you are safe and not still in there with a broken ankle

JT

Onslow

Quote from: Stone-Man on July 04, 2020, 11:45:48 AMDamn pretty fish and plenty of them   'c;  Rough as hell looking place. Glad that you are safe and not still in there with a broken ankle

JT

Yessir.  I keep the boots laced very tight, and creep slowly upon the rocks. I don't rock hop anymore. I did not fall one time, and have zero bruises. I've gotten a little smarter with age. I do have a blister on my big toe from walking downhill for almost 5 miles, lol.

Phil

Damn, Onslow. Too rough for me nowadays. Thanks for taking me there. Good sold work and fish there!!  :bow  :bow  'c;

greg

Woolly Bugger

looks like an awesome trip.. maks my knees hurt...nice trouts...  but those falls

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

NCsporksman

jeezus dude, that's a shellacking

Big J

That'll do.  That stream put out the browns!

Yallerhammer

Some fine fish from some beautiful water.  'c;
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dougfish

Damn nice efforting, and results.  'c;   :Dance
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Jfey

Gnarly stream and trout!
Yup, going fishing