News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Here it goes

Started by Oops-Pow-Surprise, July 25, 2013, 08:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oops-Pow-Surprise

Well, I think it is safe to say that I have already gotten an introduction to a few of the ball busters out there with my report from the Chattooga that I posted a few days ago.  Well played with the Parks & Rec clip.  I live in Greenville, SC with my wife and son.  I have just started fly fishing and tying more seriously after dabbling in the sport for a few years.  Still using the Cortland combo reel and 4/5 wt rod that I was given for my birthday probably 6 years ago.  I tried fly fishing a few times when I first got the Cortland combo, but was very unsuccessful.  Got all of my fishing fix from chasing land locked striper at Lake Hartwell, Flounder at the coast, etc on conventional tackle, but those trips can get very expensive and time consuming with a new baby back at the house.  I got back into fly fishing because of a small bream pond that I have at work.  Started taking my fly rod out and catching little bream and crappie, fishing on my lunch hour and after work.  Not the most exciting, but at least got a chance to practice casting.  Needless to say, catching bream in a pond isn't exactly a challenge, so catching trout on some of the streams in SC/NC is what I have been concentrating on lately, and it is addictive.  I took my dad on a guide trip on the Davidson a few weeks ago and really got to learn some good techniques for fishing these Southeastern trout streams.  However, fly tying is really what makes this sport unique, in my opinion, and catching a trout on a fly that you have tied yourself is one of the most satisfying moments I have had in any type of fishing.  Good to meet y'all.  Proceed with ball busting.
[attach=1]
Me and Dad with 17" Rainbow
[attach=2]
Dad with first trout on fly
[attach=3]
Work pond bream
[attach=4]
Krystal Prince
[attach=5]
Stimulator pattern 1
[attach=6]
Stimulator pattern 2

"Nothing Makes A Fish Bigger Than Almost Being Caught" - Anonymous

Big J

Is that Zac Brown in the first picture?  ;D

The Dude

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Dougfish

Sticking it out there.  'c;

Big J

Quote from: The Dude on July 25, 2013, 09:56:34 AM
Not "our" Zac Brown.

Really?  I thought for sure it was.  Is it a requirement to look like Zach Brown to guide on the Davidson?

Jfey

Zac 2, welcome to the low rent district.  You'll do fine and glad to see you getting back into fly fishing.  Learn how to catch those stripers on the fly.  You will be glad you did.  That Cortland will treat you well from trout/gills/crappie, but might be a little light for stripers and sinking lines.

Also, glad to see you tying.  Try to follow this recipe for the stimulator.  Its a great pattern that will catch fish on almost any stream.

http://copperfly.net/stimulator.php

Another tip is the focus on a couple of patterns that you think you will use often and focus on getting good at them.  It cuts down on the amount of materials you need before you go off the deep end like many of us and could probably restock a fly shop.

Also, don't listen to me b/c I suck at tying flies.
Yup, going fishing

Big J

Quote from: Big J on July 25, 2013, 11:14:11 AM
Not "our" Zac Brown.

Really?  I thought for sure it was.  Is it a requirement to look like Zach Brown to guide on the Davidson?

Oh, I re read his post,  thought it was a picture of the guide and his dad, not him and his dad.  So we have another Zac Brown look alike......  :-\

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Big J on July 25, 2013, 11:56:27 AM
Quote from: Big J on July 25, 2013, 11:14:11 AM
Not "our" Zac Brown.

Oh, I re read his post,  thought it was a picture of the guide and his dad, not him and his dad.  So we have another Zac Brown look alike......  :-\

You should go to one of the breweries here in Asheville and look at the workers, it looks like a Zac Brown look-a-like convention.

Dougfish

Quote from: benben on July 25, 2013, 12:25:47 PM
You should go to one of the breweries here in Asheville and look at the workers, it looks like a Zac Brown look-a-like convention.

'c; 0:0

Beetle

You guys are lame.   I tried to go there already....  :-)

http://www.brfff.com/forum/index.php/topic,11375.0.html

sanjuanwormhatch

Nice work.  Hope to fish together sometime.

Oops-Pow-Surprise

Good to meet all of you fellas.  I'm sure Zac Brown is honored to look like me. 

---SanJuan...lookin forward to it. let me know when you are up near upcountry sc
"Nothing Makes A Fish Bigger Than Almost Being Caught" - Anonymous

Trout Maharishi

I know you got a camera. Lets see some naked pics of your wife, girlfriend, niece, mother, sister, aunt, neighbor etc. I don't care as long as they are female and look half way decent. BTW, when you are use to just looking a yaks and goats all day, your standards aren't too high. -0-
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

yakandmidgetlover

Mmmmmm I love me some yaks and goats.

Peddler

I never knew yaks came in midget sizes oh great one...

The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.