News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Weather

Started by troutfanatic, May 28, 2014, 21:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfanatic

Every day, several times a day I pull up wunderground.com and check the weather. Down here in the Sandhills weather has been really screwy since February. Usually by late Feb-early Mar I have broccoli, cabbage and peas planted but we were getting hard freezes in late March this year. I held off until the end of March to plant anything... then BOOM, April hit with temps pushing toward the 90s and very little rain. My garden and lawn looks like shit.
this time last year I was harvesting nice broccoli, snow and snap peas, lettuce, carrots, radishes and my tomato plants looked awesome.

Being that it is this early and I have not had significant rain in 12 days, I am wondering are we about to have another one of those super hot dry summers that screw up the streams?

Hoping for rain tomorrow.

Michael Toris

Super hot dry summers are really good for carp fishing tho

Transylwader

Let's fish Brian.let's fish...

Big J

Quote from: troutfanatic on May 28, 2014, 21:52:46 PM
Every day, several times a day I pull up wunderground.com and check the weather. Down here in the Sandhills weather has been really screwy since February. Usually by late Feb-early Mar I have broccoli, cabbage and peas planted but we were getting hard freezes in late March this year. I held off until the end of March to plant anything... then BOOM, April hit with temps pushing toward the 90s and very little rain. My garden and lawn looks like shit.
this time last year I was harvesting nice broccoli, snow and snap peas, lettuce, carrots, radishes and my tomato plants looked awesome.

Being that it is this early and I have not had significant rain in 12 days, I am wondering are we about to have another one of those super hot dry summers that screw up the streams?

Hoping for rain tomorrow.

I don't know about NC, but VA is looking golden.  Historic average rainfall for May is 3.76 and so far for May we are at 4.96 inches.  April's historic average was 3.31 and we got 6.18 inches this April.  We got about an inch and a half in the past two days here in Lynchburg.  I think I'll be brookie fishing well into July if the temps stay reasonable.

Dougfish

It depends on where you are and the local pattern. The northern half of VA is getting more rain recently. We got a trace in the last 24, Big J, an hour north gets 1 1/2".  The good news in the east, is that our weather patterns don't lock in for long terms like they do in TX, AZ, NM, CA, for example. Now they are hurting. With no end in sight.

Brian, I couldn't get a lot of things planted until late in 2013 because it was too wet and cold. This year,  I was late because I was a fishing fool.
Harvesting my first tomato with in the week. Grow boxes for maters, brother. Saves water, speeds things up, no wilt issues. Higher cost? Yes.
With my situation, it's my best option.
http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pdfs/EarthTainer-Construction-Guide.pdf

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Onslow

TF, you ought to launch a vigorous inquiry into the vast warmwater stream bassin opportunities in in the general area.  If you are interested and need some leads, give me a shout.  Some may require a canoe/jon but there are many wading opportunities near FB, both sandy and rocky.

During severe droughts, some silted and sandy rivers in your neck of the woods are reduced to a a few cfs.  I some cases 80' wide rivers are reduced to 3' channels except in pools.  This forces bass to be stacked up tight in pools thus can be raped in very efficient manner in such situations.   The Tar between US 1 and Louisburg is generally regarded as shit water, but I raped the hell out if this river in 2005.  The drought comditions benefited me tremendously.  The droughts of 2002, 2005, 2007, 2008 also opened up opportunities for  easier pillaging on the Yadkin.  This river has a much higher cfs/channel width ration than the New and is generally difficult to fish due the current in normal conditions.

Also, Vermont seed is now selling bolt resistant spinach.  This stuff is the money.  One whole month of spinach munching and no bolting.

Big J

On May 15th, we got 3.27 inches of rain in 24 hours.  That's about a months worth of rain in a single day.  Looks like we'll end the month with 5.15 inches.

benben reincarnated

It hasn't rained at my house in at least a week.  Basically every single direction around town EVERY day gets rain.  Asheville rain shadow in full effect.  b';