News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

The soup

Started by troutphisher, December 11, 2008, 15:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I tried to get out today, but when I arrived on the stream it was a washout. I tried several locations early, and it was tough to stand in the current and maintain a 15 deg lean into the current and the water was coming up by the minute.

I went to another spot where the stream breaks up, through a labyrinth of channels and it was better for about 15 minutes, then the water started to spill over the banks.

I like a challenge as much as the next guy, but the odds were growing in deaths favor, so I pulled the pin and skeeeeeedaddled while I had a chance to get out.

Pic's of the soup
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Fire-Fly

Looks like you should have spent the day tying flies instead. At least we're getting some rain.

WRector

Sure hope this isn't in Western NC.  Just started a stream restoration project over in Clyde that is hopefully not getting the same amount of rain.  However, I doubt I could get that lucky!  o-o

We created a new floodplain on Monday, which I am sure is getting really good use right about now.  
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

Woolly Bugger

dayum... that's some serious flow there tp......and I'll bet you were still tossing #22 midges!

Good to have the rain and the stream and fish need a change of pace...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

benflyfishn

yikes. glad to hear you didn't get pulled down stream. I have never seen it look like that before. I have seen it high, but not rageing. You need a drift boat for that water. I am guessing new structure and holding areas after this one.   ;)
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

Woolly Bugger

USGS.GOV says about 2.5" of rain over the past 48 hours... creeks from red to black  ----
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

I ditched the midges, and went with a size 14 ptn and #4 split shot, I had to check and scrounge around the back of the jeep and pull a fly from the cargo rug,  but in hindsight it was futile.
I just checked the flow and it was  at 1000cfs....and increasing, this is about 10x the normal flow.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

trout_boyII

If that's where I think it is, all this water should give it a good scrub, which may not be a bad thing given the drought.  I guess if you were hell bent on standing out there you could have lashed yourself to a tree, but  :o !

Hopefully it will have calmed down by early next week for a few days of looking for strong swimmers.

TB

troutphisher

Thanks for the tip... sounds like you have experience lashing yourself to a tree.

Remember, tight lines.....tight lines TB deuce

trouthemp

Thanks Phish,
I just spit in the bong.....
were just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl....year after year........

troutfreak

All the rivers in haywood County were the exact same sight as I drove by yesterday and still up and dirty about 11am this morning when I headed out.

wvyou

Those pics are just damn scary.