News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

driver

Me and Franzen went up Sat. We got there about 8am. I had to leave early to go to a horrible party. So we were off the water by 2pm. Not a banner day but we held our own. We did notice the water pulse as well. We were able to avoid it. Will be calling the number myself before next time.

New Toy
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Anyone ID this. Either wolf or fishing spider

Dougfish

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 19, 2015, 19:44:17 PM
You shoulda swung a streamer in that rec flow, jis say'in

Thought about it. But, I had a bitchy attitude.

Woolly Bugger

That there is a "Big assed brown spider"
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

Nice fish, Driver. Well done.

ptfranze

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 19, 2015, 20:36:07 PM
That there is a "Big assed brown spider"

Thanks for that spot on ID woolly.  I was heading over and he was in my way, I went and told Jason there is a god damned tarantula on this tree.  It was not scared of us at all even let Jason pick up one of its legs with a stick before it finally moved and ran away

NCsporksman

How'd that two hander do for ya? Flinging meat w it? I wants one

sanjuanwormhatch

what two hander did you get?

driver

Its a Cabelas TLR 11ft 6wt. Picked it up for $50.
Actually it was a pain in the ass. I didn't have a switch line on it so that didn't help. And that reel weighs a ton. So my arm would get tired from high sticking. New line should be here soon and I'll put it on a different reel and we'll see how its does.

CaddisMan

Greetings to the Smith-continued regulars. Hope everyone is keeping cool from summer heat by enjoying the Smith as regular as possible. Me... well I get up from Raleigh occasionally for a day trip fix when I can't string together a few days for the NC Blue Ridge.

I came up yesterday arriving at dawn up at the dam. I fished several points from the dam to down say a quarter of a mile. I DIDN'T SEE A SINGLE FISH! ...staying until 10 am casting nymphs and dry droppers along the far bank. If they were there, they were hunkered to within 5 feet of the bank.  The mist wast heavy and the water around 48F had me shivering... in July?!... an odd experience. 

Anyway, moved down to Basset... same deal. Finally  located a few rising down Fieldale way around noon but difficult wading prevented me presenting them properly. Did manage one nine inch brown on a hopper 20 minutes before I had to bug out to ward off the skunk.

In the 7 or so trips I have made to the Smith over the last couple of years, I've never seen less fish-sign than yesterday. I was wondering if the regulars could provide some insight on the above. So my gas money will be better spent next time.

For the beer lovers, ya'll give White Street Brewing a try. They are out of Wake Forest, NC and make a delicious Kolsch and the Hoptimist IPA may be the best this side of Asheville.  Any recommended local beers I should track down next time I'm up your way?

Best, guys and thanks,
CaddisMan

Dougfish

Snort.

From SRTU website, reporting on annual VDGIF sampling:

"Following comments are from Philpott to Martinsville Dam:
* they samples 8 sites above the Martinsville dam. All together, they totaled about 8000 feet of river sampled.
*2300 fish were collected. 70% were Brown Trout, 2 % were Rainbows, 13% Darters, 5.5% Chub. and the other 9.5% were other baitfish,    bass, sunfish, etc. They estimate that they only collect about half of the fish in the sampled areas using the barge technique employed on the   upper river.
*They have collected an average of 11 trout/10 meters over the last ten years. Last five years have trended higher.
*The average fish size above Martinsville dam was 8.3″. This is also trending higher.
*Higher numbers of trout were collected from the Mirror Plant to the Philpott Dam. Numbers collected fell of dramatically below Bassett. But baitfish numbers were reversed. The waters below Bassett become harder to sample and the sampled areas were smaller, but is something else going on?

CaddisMan

Just to be clear, not meaning to dis the fishery or suggest dwindling trout population. Just wondering if there was something about time of year, time of day, conditions, or something related to water release that had them hunkered down.  Hell, maybe I just got lucky the other half dozen or so trips. The Smith just seemed uncharacteristically stingy yesterday. But no worries, as the governator says, 'I'll be bach'...

driver

It's the Smith... when its on, its on. When its off.. you won't catch jack

Dougfish

Quote from: driver on July 22, 2015, 12:59:11 PM
It's the Smith... when its on, its on. When its off.. you won't catch jack

This.^

My post was meant to show that there are gobs of fish. You may not see them, but they see you. They are there.
And when they turn off......

Aka

Quit being a dick, Doug. Tell us how to catch fish on the Smith.

jk  ;D

Woolly Bugger

Twenty years ago, when I started fly fishing, I could hardly catch a fish in the Smith, things haven't changed much over the years ;-)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!