News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

stoggers....

Started by _Fish_Pimp, October 04, 2012, 00:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Fish_Pimp

I had to go fish DH after class on monday...I regretted it as soon as I got there and had to elbow my way through the masses. They stocked some nicer fish this year though, not quite as ugly. Here are a few pics of em. I broke off about a 5 pounder..rainbow I guess..6x and downed trees don't mix well..I ran out of 5x  b'; still probably couldn't have turned em.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

yes..storminmormon had bear spray..its for the people, gotta make room on the river  ;D

my ugly azz brookie

finally stocked some decent looking browns

I'll be back on a wild stream very soon I can tell you that  /"\ and the SoHo this weekend

South River Fly Shop

Nice!! Need to send VaDGIF down to see how it should be done.

Woolly Bugger

Ditchell? I could see how bear spray could come in handy...

Holler if you want to share a ride to the SoHO....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

_Fish_Pimp

Nahh it was the tauga. I think at least 4 of us are going to the SoHo, if you wanna share a lil Volkswagen jetta with us we'd be glad too carpool or if you've got more room we'd definitely pitch plenty of gas $$.  /'/

franzenangler

Theres a good amount of wild browns in that stretch as well.
"Whatch'all boys doing around here?"

"I AM THE TRANSYL WADER!"

"I don't give a shit who you are boy, I asked whatcha doin'"

"That's it boy, you're in a heap of trouble."

Transylwader

Would it be legal for me to hook them on a trout line and drag them up to Steel's yard and creel em? I haven't ever tried brown trout. If they look as good as they taste, I may do that...

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Transylwader on October 04, 2012, 11:34:33 AM
Would it be legal for me to hook them on a trout line and drag them up to Steel's yard and creel em? I haven't ever tried brown trout. If they look as good as they taste, I may do that...

Regs say you can't move fish from a given designated section, don't say you can't if they are dead though...

_Fish_Pimp

I heard that the DH section on the Watauga from the bridge to the golf course is now closed and posted. The college kids jumping off the dam and getting hurt ruined it apparently, along with littering etc, the land owners decided they didn't want it any longer. I haven't seen for myself but that's what I've been told. That was the only good part of it IMO.. b';

This was at valley crucis park, I've only caught smallies, bream and horney heads during the summer when its not DH there. but the other section, yea there are some nice lil wild browns in there, too bad its supposedly off limits now.

http://www.hcpress.com/news/public-access-closed-to-a-portion-of-the-delayed-harvest-trout-water-on-watauga-river-along-shulls-mill-road.html
so I just looked it up, yea landowners didn't like the other activities going on there besides fishing.

Darthmonkey

So you'll risk trespassing fines and getting shot by mountain trolls but a fine for killing a pellet head worries you?
The above response is not to be taken seriously, it is on the internet after all.

Phil

The Watauga river is fucked. I don't fish it much anymore.

In the early 1970's until the 80's, there were some really good native fish to be caught (along with a few pale stoggers) in the Watauga river around Foscoe/Valley Crucis.
I had some places where I could catch wild fish all day -- Rainbows and some really big browns.

Now it is a piece of shit river due to real estate developments upstream, private water, and  the only trout fishing is DH stoggers from October until June. It's a raft of shit to get old and see your trout streams die. :'(

Transylwader

Quote from: Darthmonkey on October 05, 2012, 15:25:21 PM
So you'll risk trespassing fines and getting shot by mountain trolls but a fine for killing a pellet head worries you?
Haha. I never thought of it like that :laugh:

Transylwader

Quote from: steelrain202 on October 08, 2012, 17:55:56 PM
lets do it well fill the hole behind the house. i told ya'll forever ago that that stretch of the river was closed a long time ago. Echota bought it and due to many alcohol and drug related issues they put it off limits not wanting the liability
Or get a horse to yank the sluice free at the trout farm up the road. I don't want that dude ID'ing my Xterras tires in this mess. I could easily jack a 30" stogger on that spiderman Zebco laying alongside the mailbox kiosk up the road from you. I'd never take a fly to them. fishing for stockers with flies is just downright mean.