News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Need new waders?

Started by jamie, November 03, 2006, 07:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamie

I know it is getting close to Christmas, but this is a sweet deal on a pair of Simms classic guides.

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShopping/SearchResult.aspx
"I don't much care for hatchery trout. They're better than no trout at all, but otherwise they're inferior in every way to their wild relatives" - John Gierach

Gofisher

Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

jamie

Sorry about that... try:
http://www.mrfc.com

Then go to product search and click in the dropdown box (by catagory)  "Clearance- wading gear and tubing"
"I don't much care for hatchery trout. They're better than no trout at all, but otherwise they're inferior in every way to their wild relatives" - John Gierach

trout_boy_II

Or just put in what you want in google and it will come up in a number of other spots on sale.  I've been looking for a rod and ran across a number of Simms wader ads.  I have the lightweight Simms Goretex model myself, and like them a lot.

FWIW - I just ordered an XP 8 ft. 3wt. from Madison River - they had the best price on what is a rapidly disappearing model (discontinued now of course).  Interestingly enough, one shop I talked with was staying with their original prices and getting them since these rods are so popular.  Anyway, these Madison River folks were good to deal with, rod went out same day and they sent me tracking number so I can watch for it.

TB

Silver Creek

I was in their store this summer an bought a pair of Dan Baileys. They recommended them over the Simms. I can't remember which model of Simms were comparable but I'd ask them what they would recommend, the Simms on sale or the Dan Baileys.
Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Silver Creek

Quote from: trout-r-us on November 03, 2006, 12:55:46 PM
IMO. Getting a recommendation from a salesperson tells you one thing, and that is which product gives them the most favorable profit margin.

Except that this was a pr of Dan Baileys that were $200 vs a $300 pr of Simms, both full price. Profit margin should be greater on the Simms.
Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Grumpy

Quote from: Silver Creek on November 03, 2006, 14:23:41 PM
IMO. Getting a recommendation from a salesperson tells you one thing, and that is which product gives them the most favorable profit margin.

Except that this was a pr of Dan Baileys that were $200 vs a $300 pr of Simms, both full price. Profit margin should be greater on the Simms.

That would be the DB Lightweight, one of the bet waders out there for $198. Mine are 5 years old & have just started leaking around the booties.
My Simms Guides are 5 years old, leaking around the booties as well.
The DB come with a built-in gravel guard & belt, they breathe as well as the Simms & are easier getting into or out of & they are less profitable than the Simms :o

Grumpy

tw5270

Quote from: Silver Creek on November 03, 2006, 14:23:41 PM

Not necessarily...Simms is a tough company to get decent margins from.

Some sales people actually care if their customers get the best value for dollar, it keeps them coming back.

Silver Creek

Quote from: Grumpy on November 04, 2006, 06:48:45 AM
That would be the DB Lightweight, one of the bet waders out there for $198. Mine are 5 years old & have just started leaking around the booties.
My Simms Guides are 5 years old, leaking around the booties as well.
The DB come with a built-in gravel guard & belt, they breathe as well as the Simms & are easier getting into or out of & they are less profitable than the Simms :o

Grumpy

I did get the DB Lightweights. Since I'm a regular at the fly shop, I figured I get an honest opinion. It's good to know you've had a positive experience with the DBs.
Regards,

Silver

cmiller51h

I've never used Dan Bailey's but have heard a lot of good things about them. I've had several pair of Simms, Orvis, Chota, Hodgman, and I like the Simms the best. I'm wearing a pair that I in 02 and they're just now starting to leak arounf the boots. I did send them back to have the boots replaced about 2 years ago. the tape came off of the seams. They're still good waders. Very tough, I wear mine an average of 6 to 7 times a month.
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander