News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Corona Virus

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 02, 2020, 13:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you worried, have you changed habits?

I stopped drinking Corona Beer!
I stopped eating Chinese Take Out
What Corona Virus?
One time at band camp I got a virus...

troutrus

The algorithm shown is a bit complex for a nation where most folks want it all and want it now.
Live and Let Die

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 08, 2020, 07:51:01 AMCarona good for bees?

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200506-why-lockdown-is-helping-bees?ocid=ww.social.link.email

The pollution is the plastic foundation in the frame the lady is handling. Bees hate that crap.  That is why the wax looks like hell. 

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2020/05/09/excessive-littering-prompts-crackdown-cocoa-beach/3095434001/

"We encourage everyone to come and enjoy the beaches but pick up after yourself."

Yeah, right!  Pie in the sky, and further confirmation we are the greatest.  A pandemic brings out the best of people.

Littering, a topic that has consumed me lately, appears to be universal.  Rt. 39 leading into my beloved Mountain Grove has become a trash heap.  Before the virus, the local fire and rescue was making preliminary plans with VDOT for a volunteer trash pickup.  Now the rural thoroughfare is even worse.  As soon as this crazy shit is over, I'll make another push for action to collect and educate.  But it is damned hard educating rednecks and converting them to hayseeds.  I used to differentiate the two for my students.  A redneck is someone drinking a beer and discards the can or bottle out the window; a hayseed is someone drinking a beer and throws the can or bottle in the back of his/her pickup until they get home with access to an appropriate refuse container. 

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Great Smoky Mountains National Park visitors crowd trails, pass barriers into blocked off areas on reopening day

https://www.wxii12.com/article/coronavirus-smoky-mountains-national-park-reopening-day/32428038#

This is why we can't have nice things...
me -There's a season?

Phil

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 11, 2020, 07:58:29 AMGreat Smoky Mountains National Park visitors crowd trails, pass barriers into blocked off areas on reopening day

https://www.wxii12.com/article/coronavirus-smoky-mountains-national-park-reopening-day/32428038#

This is why we can't have nice things...

Yep. They're doing the same thing up here along the BR Parkway, Moses Cone, Bass Lake, Trout Lake, etc. Even though the viaduct area on Grandfather is closed, hundreds of peeps are parking and walking to it. Huge weekend crowds everywhere. Shulls Mill rd. where it meets the Parkway (was closed last I looked) is so crowded with parked cars, picnickers, etc. it looks like a rock concert.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Onslow

Hardship sometimes brings the best out people. 3 organizations in Elkin that serve the hungry, battered women, and troubled youth, all recently received collectively a largesse well over 6 figures from one person.  Each of the three entities will be receiving around 100k.

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Stupid Humans

https://medium.com/nwnc/stone-mountain-will-make-changes-after-saturday-incidents-6865087ae267

>>> "People [were] parked all along the park road [and] in the middle of the park road," Hall said. "[They also] started picnicking in the middle of the park roads."
As a result, park officials closed Stone Mountain until just before 4 p.m., as they worked to manage the crowd and the injuries. Hall said that beginning on Sunday, there will be a tighter limit placed on how many people can be in the park at one time.
me -There's a season?

Phil

Hey Onslow -- from your post on the shoutbox - "Wilkes county now has 447 known cases of Covid 19.  That is about 1 in 150 people."
Is this correct? I'm not good at math. That sounds pretty grim, though!

Onslow

Quote from: Phil on May 19, 2020, 08:58:18 AMHey Onslow -- from your post on the shoutbox - "Wilkes county now has 447 known cases of Covid 19.  That is about 1 in 150 people."
Is this correct? I'm not good at math. That sounds pretty grim, though!

Yes, that is indeed correct.  The explosion in cases in both in Surry and Wilkes are what I find most alarming. For the longest time, cases were low, and case growth was flat. Many of these people work in poultry processing, and are hispanic, but contrary to prevailing opinions, Hispanics are humans, and are statistically relevant. Cases in my zip code have exploded also.

Native Fisher

Hispanic communities are being hit hard as they didn't adopt the safe distancing practices early on or not at all.  Also they tend to live in homes with extended families so more chance to infect larger numbers.  Poultry plant workers and their families are the vast majority of cases in my area.  Stay far away from workers and the plants if you have them in your area.

Onslow

Quote from: Native Fisher on May 19, 2020, 09:54:45 AMHispanic communities are being hit hard as they didn't adopt the safe distancing practices early on or not at all.

I do agree Hispanics are vulnerable due to living arrangements, but will respectfully disagree with the rest. The European Americans in around where I live are the most oblivious and reckless bunch I've come across.  They appear to never have experienced hardship.  The most cautious eating establishment I've come across is owned and operated by Hispanics. Tyson, Wayne Farms, and the American consumer are responsible for the whatever conditions these workers must endure. It is no secret what goes on in these plants, but we continue to support them through our purchases of their products. As a general rule, companies that are overly exploitive will fold.  One reaps what one sows.