Doublethink and Newspeak In Action

Started by trout-r-us, January 21, 2022, 09:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 27, 2022, 18:28:56 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 27, 2022, 18:27:30 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 27, 2022, 18:05:26 PM
Quote from: trout-r-us on January 27, 2022, 16:36:08 PMCensorship is still alive and well in Tennessee. Guess not much has changed over there since the Scopes Monkey Trial almost 100 years ago.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-school-board-bans-holocaust-200828371.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
I call bullshit on most of that. It's spun to death. Most conservatives I've been around are very pro-Jewish and pro-Israel. Fundamentalist Christians consider Jews to be God's chosen people and respect them. I have never met an actual conservative holocaust denier or anti-Semite in over a half-century of life on this planet. Most of the anti-Semitism I see nowadays comes from Muslims and left-wing pro-Palestinians. Most of the folks I see wanting to ban stuff in general are extremely liberal.

As for the Scopes Monkey Trial, you are spot-on with that. I have met thousands of conservative Christian evolution deniers.

Yaller, you might be reading too much into the protest and ban.  I doubt half of the parents that were bitching and moaning could tell us one fact about the holocaust.

I don't believe the parents were holocaust deniers or anti-Jewish.  They had issues with the language and nudity ("......eight crude words like "damn" and "bitch" and one scene of nudity"). 

I'll agree with that to an extent. I was referring to the obvious heavily-spun hateful feel of the article that paints all conservatives as evils sub-humans who are all anti-Semitic and wanting to ban everything enlightening. Most conservatives are fine with Jewish folks, but most Baptists will swear in public that they're against being nekkid and cussing and drinking. Unless they're somewhere in private being nekkid and cussing and drinking.

I think you might be overly protective and defensive of your tribe.  There are ignorant dumbassed liberals and there are ignorant dumbassed conservatives. 

In this TN case it is likely a few ignorant dumbassed members of the conservative clan.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 27, 2022, 19:04:52 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 27, 2022, 18:28:56 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 27, 2022, 18:27:30 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 27, 2022, 18:05:26 PM
Quote from: trout-r-us on January 27, 2022, 16:36:08 PMCensorship is still alive and well in Tennessee. Guess not much has changed over there since the Scopes Monkey Trial almost 100 years ago.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-school-board-bans-holocaust-200828371.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
I call bullshit on most of that. It's spun to death. Most conservatives I've been around are very pro-Jewish and pro-Israel. Fundamentalist Christians consider Jews to be God's chosen people and respect them. I have never met an actual conservative holocaust denier or anti-Semite in over a half-century of life on this planet. Most of the anti-Semitism I see nowadays comes from Muslims and left-wing pro-Palestinians. Most of the folks I see wanting to ban stuff in general are extremely liberal.

As for the Scopes Monkey Trial, you are spot-on with that. I have met thousands of conservative Christian evolution deniers.

Yaller, you might be reading too much into the protest and ban.  I doubt half of the parents that were bitching and moaning could tell us one fact about the holocaust.

I don't believe the parents were holocaust deniers or anti-Jewish.  They had issues with the language and nudity ("......eight crude words like "damn" and "bitch" and one scene of nudity"). 

I'll agree with that to an extent. I was referring to the obvious heavily-spun hateful feel of the article that paints all conservatives as evils sub-humans who are all anti-Semitic and wanting to ban everything enlightening. Most conservatives are fine with Jewish folks, but most Baptists will swear in public that they're against being nekkid and cussing and drinking. Unless they're somewhere in private being nekkid and cussing and drinking.

I think you might be overly protective and defensive of your tribe.  There are ignorant dumbassed liberals and there are ignorant dumbassed conservatives. 

In this TN case it is likely a few ignorant dumbassed members of the conservative clan.

I have absolutely no disagreement with you on that. There are plenty of ignorant, fanatical dumbasses on both sides who totally lack the ability to think for themselves.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

trout-r-us

Amazing to me that these censors are put off by words such as damn and bitch. We just had a president call a journalist a dumb son of a bitch, and the previous president's foul mouth is a matter of public knowledge, yet nobody seems to give a darn.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Yallerhammer

Quote from: trout-r-us on January 27, 2022, 19:23:14 PMAmazing to me that these censors are put off by words such as damn and bitch. We just had a president call a journalist a dumb son of a bitch, and the previous president's foul mouth is a matter of public knowledge, yet nobody seems to give a darn.
Yep. I grew up in a world where you would go to Hell for fishing or mowing your yard on Sunday or saying fuck.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Onslow

Quote from: trout-r-us on January 27, 2022, 19:23:14 PMAmazing to me that these censors are put off by words such as damn and bitch. We just had a president call a journalist a dumb son of a bitch, and the previous president's foul mouth is a matter of public knowledge, yet nobody seems to give a darn.

Yes, and both Biden and Trump suck. Next....

jwgnc

My wife was born in Athens/McMinn County Tennessee, and I saw the initial article in the local rag - Daily Post Athenian.  And then the internet took it to task.  The publisher and the author, Art Spiegelman, are certainly enjoying the new$.

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on January 29, 2022, 08:03:39 AMCan't we all just get along and enjoy life and quit being so damn self righteous?

Here's my answer, which has no significance or certainty, other than in my fucked-up mind. Please note: coprolalia is a human trait. 

We humans are likely the most tribal, selfish, congenerous critter on earth, a critter who for thousands of years has remained vulnerable and credulous to superstitions, myths, and a surplus of flummery and mummery.  Humans are the poorest, least efficient data collecting organisms on the planet.  Thus, the fragility of the human race.       

joe friday

Along those same lines...

My wife is a high school librarian here in Pitt County, NC.  Our local school board just mandated a policy of parental control/consent over books offered in the curriculum.  This came about because a few parents complained about what their "babies" were being exposed to.  Granted, there are absolutely many sensitive topic matters in the books they cited, (dealing with race, LGBTQ issues, some profanity) and the books may be uncomfortable to us older adults, but that's nothing compared to what teens are engaging with through social media, popular culture, music, and real life.  My teacher friends are shaking their heads at the puritan board members. 

And then I see that a school board in Tennessee has removed the novel MAUS from its curriculum on the Holocaust because it contains 8 curse words and 1 illustration of nudity.

joe friday

Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 27, 2022, 19:26:50 PM
Yep. I grew up in a world where you would go to Hell for fishing or mowing your yard on Sunday or saying fuck.

That happened to me!  (not the going to hell part) But I had a teacher one time berate me at school after she saw me mowing my grandmother's yard on a Sunday.  This was back in 1978 or so.   I still tell that story to my kids, and I don't mow grass on Sundays! Now I fish! :;!

Woolly Bugger

I was a no mow on Sunday guy - grandma wouldn't play cards or do housework on a Sunday 
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 29, 2022, 12:17:11 PMI was a no mow on Sunday guy - grandma wouldn't play cards or do housework on a Sunday 

I used to mow my mother's grass on Sundays, just to hear her bitch and moan.  I feel she believed every word of the BOOK.  She'd give me this hokum and bunkum about working on Sundays, I'd then follow with mowing grass for me was not work, but relaxation from the wife, and how did those ancients in the book of Numbers distinguish between work and relaxation?  That dude could have been gathering sticks for leisure or perhaps it was his bizarre way of praising and serving the lord.  She'd go full bore unhinged on me, but it only continued for a few minutes.  I miss the fun we had.  I think she enjoyed the Sunday conflicts as much as I did.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on January 29, 2022, 14:00:21 PMWhile I do not agree with Putin's tactics, I completely understand his stance.

https://www.rt.com/russia/547437-traditional-values-foreign-amorality/

This Russian propaganda might be the most self-righteous crap I've seen recently.

Quote from: Onslow on January 29, 2022, 08:03:39 AMCan't we all just get along and enjoy life and quit being so damn self righteous?

Can you have both?  Contradictory opinions in such a short time? 

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 29, 2022, 15:32:21 PM
Quote from: Onslow on January 29, 2022, 14:00:21 PMWhile I do not agree with Putin's tactics, I completely understand his stance.

https://www.rt.com/russia/547437-traditional-values-foreign-amorality/

This Russian propaganda might be the most self-righteous crap I've seen recently.

Can you have both?  Contradictory opinions in such a short time? 

There is no contradiction here.  It is important to understand how other cultures roll.  Not doing so is costly.

If the Democrats would've bothered to understand the Hispanic community, perhaps they would have not lost them as a voting bloc.

trout-r-us

Since the Ministers, Priests, Rabbis, Scribes, Pharisees, all the King's Horses, and all the King's Men can't even come to an agreement on what day the Sabbath should be celebrated, I don't think I'm gonna worry too much about when I can fish, work, pray, etc.
I recall years ago when Blue Laws resulted in most all stores being closed on Sunday, we would merely go to a Jewish neighborhood and be able to buy whatever we needed, 'cause they celebrate Saturday as the day of rest. 
Both Jews and Gentiles have the same commandment, i.e. "Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day", just acknowledged on different days of the week. Go figure.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Onslow

Fighting over which to rest is irrational, impractical, and a waste, and defies common sense at first glance, but on the flip side, some form of social order must be adhered to in order to mitigate chaos, and actions of thoughtless people.  The push and pull will always be there.